Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card


Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.


To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.


To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.


Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.


What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 14, 9:01 am
  #1171  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by JoJo12 View Post
Thanks ibleedOrange. I guess I am being too cautious but I don't want to loose this good thing (I got a high CL). However, the branch never has lines and is on my path. Based on what you say, I will use BB if needed.
Your losing it in less than 6 months
ibleed0range is offline  
Old Nov 12, 14, 2:59 pm
  #1172  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 747
Applied, approved after pending with a low credit limit (sub 5k) so got the Platinum card. We'll see how that works out for me. Called immediately and tried to talk to an underwriter for a CLI, however was told they look at overall exposure and weren't willing to increase. Quoted a different card I have with a low limit. Told them if they're looking at exposure, Chase has 10x more exposure than they gave me. Didn't budge. Will try again after fraud alerts.
nrdk is offline  
Old Nov 19, 14, 8:50 pm
  #1173  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Programs: Hilton honors. Club Carlson UA AA
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
thanks, thats great to know.

in that case, how far can you go? i have 11k credit line, is 10k per month too much?
You should be doing at least 30k with that kind of limit.
Rob14 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 14, 7:44 am
  #1174  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 747
Anyone ever convince them to honor the 5% when receiving a platinum card?

I'm under the assumption that I probably do not 'qualify' for the 5%, as they gave me a platinum card and following the steps in the Wiki, I do not have a Promotional Offer. Received and activated the card yesterday, and made a purchase first thing at a grocery store, however it is still a temp auth and I can't see it in the My Rewards tab yet.
nrdk is offline  
Old Nov 20, 14, 10:22 am
  #1175  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by nrdk View Post
Anyone ever convince them to honor the 5% when receiving a platinum card?

I'm under the assumption that I probably do not 'qualify' for the 5%, as they gave me a platinum card and following the steps in the Wiki, I do not have a Promotional Offer. Received and activated the card yesterday, and made a purchase first thing at a grocery store, however it is still a temp auth and I can't see it in the My Rewards tab yet.
Have the platinum with a 10K CL and received all 5x to date (3+ months)
ibleed0range is offline  
Old Nov 21, 14, 10:30 am
  #1176  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 799
FYI, I called WF because I wanted to verify I would qualify for the 5% bonus for 6 months. I had an old card with WF that had not been used for years.

As we all know, the terms says this:

Eligibility for Introductory Rate(s), Fees, and Bonus Rewards Offers: If you currently have an open credit card account or a closed credit card account with a balance issued by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., you may not be eligible for the above introductory APR(s) and fees or the bonus rewards offers described below.

The credit person confirmed that if you have NOT HAD A BALANCE in the LAST 6 MONTHS on a credit card with WF, that you DO QUALIFY for the bonus rewards offer.

Whether that means you can close and reopen/churn this card every year is still up in the air, however.
exarkun is offline  
Old Nov 21, 14, 11:36 am
  #1177  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: All of them
Posts: 1,040
Originally Posted by exarkun View Post
FYI, I called WF because I wanted to verify I would qualify for the 5% bonus for 6 months. I had an old card with WF that had not been used for years.

As we all know, the terms says this:

Eligibility for Introductory Rate(s), Fees, and Bonus Rewards Offers: If you currently have an open credit card account or a closed credit card account with a balance issued by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., you may not be eligible for the above introductory APR(s) and fees or the bonus rewards offers described below.

The credit person confirmed that if you have NOT HAD A BALANCE in the LAST 6 MONTHS on a credit card with WF, that you DO QUALIFY for the bonus rewards offer.

Whether that means you can close and reopen/churn this card every year is still up in the air, however.

Better question is if the exclusion of GCs from 5x in their terms and conditions starting January 15 will have any effect. That could make this a moot point.
littlewinglet is offline  
Old Nov 21, 14, 1:31 pm
  #1178  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 747
Received Platinum card, made Groceries purchase (even coded as such on their site) however under Rewards Activity there is only the base earning, with no bonus earning showing.

Pretty much screwed here, correct? Or has anyone been successful getting the offer added after the fact?
nrdk is offline  
Old Nov 22, 14, 6:47 am
  #1179  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW,OVB (Russia)
Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Posts: 1,822
Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
Better question is if the exclusion of GCs from 5x in their terms and conditions starting January 15 will have any effect. That could make this a moot point.
Gift card purchases are officially excluded from earning bonuses in nearly every card issuers terms and conditions, and yet.... Secondly, they cannot really ever exclude gift cards because they do serve a purpose in lots of different scenarios

Best they can do is limit the amount of spend that earns 5X per month during the promotional period (similar to AMEX)
rgAAFT is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 10:53 am
  #1180  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 32
I applied for the WF Visa Signature Card, got a pending review status, and then realized that WF favors applicants with an "existing relationship". I didn't have any prior relationship with WF, so I immediately opened a checking account online. I received all sorts of documentation for my new checking account, but then about a week later, I received a letter in the mail stating that they're unable to offer me a credit card at this time because of "lack of or insufficient duration of relationship with Wells Fargo."
Does anyone have any experience with this type of rejection, and can advise whether/how I can convince WF to approve my credit card application? (I haven't called reconsideration yet.)
thx
abelman is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 11:43 am
  #1181  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by abelman View Post
I applied for the WF Visa Signature Card, got a pending review status, and then realized that WF favors applicants with an "existing relationship". I didn't have any prior relationship with WF, so I immediately opened a checking account online. I received all sorts of documentation for my new checking account, but then about a week later, I received a letter in the mail stating that they're unable to offer me a credit card at this time because of "lack of or insufficient duration of relationship with Wells Fargo."
Does anyone have any experience with this type of rejection, and can advise whether/how I can convince WF to approve my credit card application? (I haven't called reconsideration yet.)
thx
This happened to me. I had two mortgages 5 years ago and a checking account with WF which I closed 2 years ago. When I applied I had no open accounts and was rejected for the same reason as you. I was told to open a checking account and wait 30 days - the application would still be in their system and they could reopen it. I had no intention of opening a checking acct with them so I said forget it.

Then, 30 days later, I happened to get a pre-approval application in the mail. I applied again and was instantly approved. Go figure.
michael160 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 12:07 pm
  #1182  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by michael160 View Post
This happened to me. I had two mortgages 5 years ago and a checking account with WF which I closed 2 years ago. When I applied I had no open accounts and was rejected for the same reason as you. I was told to open a checking account and wait 30 days - the application would still be in their system and they could reopen it. I had no intention of opening a checking acct with them so I said forget it.

Then, 30 days later, I happened to get a pre-approval application in the mail. I applied again and was instantly approved. Go figure.
Thanks, that's helpful. Would you say there's no use calling reconsideration now? Also, if I'm going to wait 30 days, should I be trying to "transact" with my checking account (i.e. deposits/withdrawals)?

thanks again
abelman is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 10:22 am
  #1183  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 570
In the same boat as you guys. I got this for the Mrs and it's been painful since day 1. I went through 6 months on my WF and that was pretty smooth. Did have a few fraud alerts in the beginning but was smooth sailing after that.

I definitely agree about only sticking with large transactions and not mixing up stores. Trouble is with CVS not doing 5k anymore it's getting to be a lot of hassle. I'm going to go over my mins this month with al these calls to WF!

The customer service guys are super nice but can't really help much - the fraud dept doesn't really give a rats-behind on whether you can use your card or not.

My strategy is going to be to let this card just marinate for a bit. It's a brand new acc and I am just going to try and take it slow for now. If anyone has other ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks,



Originally Posted by ChurnChop View Post
On the heels of your troubles with Target and WF, I'll chime in too. I've been able to do about $4k at markets with the usual fraud calls. They've always said sorry for the inconvenience, we'll unlock your account and this won't happen again! LOL. So I do $1000 at Albertson's and for the first time it goes through without a decline first! Next day I get multiple calls from fraud both to my work # and my cell. I call them, they confirm I made the charges, "sorry sir, this won't happen again..blah, blah, blah". I asked why they are calling when they already authorized the charges. They were never declined. They didn't have an answer.

I'm able to make few small normal spend charges at markets and the gas station over the next couple days. Then I do a massive $14 charge at a taco restaurant today and it's declined.

No call from fraud. Nothing. So I call them an hour ago. "Why the decline on such a small charge?". She says "I don't know. It shouldn't have but there are fraud flags all over your account..". Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. She says "..your account is new so it hasn't learned your patterns yet." I'm thinking maybe the small charges and the large charges are confusing the system. She did say, and this is true, many card thieves will start with small charges and work there way up. Opposite here though.

She says...drumroll..."sorry, this shouldn't happen again. I've noted your account and will forward your info to our "leadership team" so they can look into why you are getting these many fraud alerts. Huh?! What! Leadership?? No. No. No. (I didn't actually say that, but you know what I was thinking)

Leadership sounds like management to me and that sounds..well, like bad.

Anyway, supposedly the fraud alert is off for now. I'm hitting Albertson's again after work in a few hours and see if I can pull another $1,000. If not, I'll be expecting a call from one of their "leaders" on that so called "team".
Duffman is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 1:10 pm
  #1184  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by abelman View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. Would you say there's no use calling reconsideration now? Also, if I'm going to wait 30 days, should I be trying to "transact" with my checking account (i.e. deposits/withdrawals)?

thanks again
It couldn't hurt to try recon now. If they still say no then give it 30 days and call again. I don't know what they are looking for with regard to the checking acct since I never opened one - my guess is it's more of a length of time/good standing issue than anything regarding transactions.
michael160 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 2:52 pm
  #1185  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 156
Yesterday evening couple of txn were not approved at 2 different grocery stores. No fraud call or block on the account. What could be the issue.
tech2011 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: