Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 14, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by hti5t45 View Post
If anyone has had points confiscated and managed to get them back please pm me. Thanks.
Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I think many here would be curious to hear your situation if you don't mind sharing...
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:29 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by michael160 View Post
Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I think many here would be curious to hear your situation if you don't mind sharing...

+1000 what the heck did you do?
Old Oct 27, 14, 12:02 pm

If anyone has any data where they had the promo at one time and then reapplied for the card later and received the promo again, PM me. I'm very discreet
Old Oct 31, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, UA Prem1K, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Plat
I applied and received WF Propel last year in May, I applied for Visa Sig 5x last week and I got approved, however, after receiving the card I was told that I am not eligible for either the 0% intro rate nor the 5X for 6 mos. I cancelled immediately. The stupidest thing i have ever heard from a cc company.
Old Nov 1, 14, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by calvn911 View Post
I applied and received WF Propel last year in May, I applied for Visa Sig 5x last week and I got approved, however, after receiving the card I was told that I am not eligible for either the 0% intro rate nor the 5X for 6 mos. I cancelled immediately. The stupidest thing i have ever heard from a cc company.
That's weird, I did the opposite and got bonus for both.

CSRs can be clueless sometimes, therefore I wish you had checked yourself, online, what offers / bonuses you were actually eligible for/if any
It must be noted that Wells Fargo is among the most transparent banks when it comes to letting you know what your rewards points totals are etc via online resources, so you don't have to rely on CSRs who could potentially provide you with wrong information
Old Nov 1, 14, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by calvn911 View Post
You missed the train, buddy. The T&C for this CC clearly states you're not eligible for the bonus with you have had any CCs with WF. It's strange, but that's why I have not applied for this particular product.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton honors. Club Carlson UA AA
Deleted
Old Nov 3, 14, 2:03 pm

Inauspicious start with this card to say the least.
Last night:
1) Made a few small purchases - gas, trader joes, and the like
2) Tried a $1000 at Rite Aid declined. Called in and got the go ahead
3) $1000 at Target approved. Subsequent $500 at same Target rejected. Called again and got the go ahead
This morning:
4) Went back to same Target, called fraud dept, planning on them being on the line with me as I tried transaction. Instead, fraud told me to go to a bank and have banker call. $1000 at Target naturally rejected.
5) Went to branch and got a banker to call. Banker said I'll call CS and you only call fraud if you're disputing a charge. CS cleared me to continue.
6) Tried $1000 at Rite Aid. Declined. Called CS. CS transferred me to Fraud. Fraud said go to bank and have banker call us. "But I already did that". "But they didn't call us, they called CS". I had fraud on the line as I attempted the $1000 charge. Nothing fraud could do without having a banker call them first. They even asked me the usual multiple choice questions about car loans and mortgages and such.
7) I called the banker I dealt with earlier. He and I agreed to teleconference into fraud. Fraud admonished banker while I was on the line that his credentials will not be accepted on a 3 way. So I'm stuck having to go back to the branch.

All this for a measly $1,000 purchase? How often will I have to repeat these steps?
Old Nov 3, 14, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
You missed the train, buddy. The T&C for this CC clearly states you're not eligible for the bonus with you have had any CCs with WF. It's strange, but that's why I have not applied for this particular product.
Opposite for me as well. Got both. Got Propel, met promo, got the bonus $400 + $100 airline credit via paper checks and deposited at BofA. Applied for WF cash back card a few weeks ago (about 3 months after applying for the Propel). I was concerned because nowhere in my documents I received did it state I was eligible for 5%. I called, rep said you will get 5%. Also learned, if you go to the Rewards section tied to your account it actually tells you the % you are eligible for and the date your promo ends. Seeing that on-line was great.

Same day I got the card, charged around $1,000 at a supermarket before statement closed 3 days later. Quick stmt closing. The $50 posted as a reward. A couple days later I received a marketing flyer in the mail confirming the 5% for 6 mo.

I have no checking acct with WF, but I do have an HSA account, very little in it, like $1,000. Maybe that helped, not sure. So just the 2 credit cards and the HSA. Anyway, for what it's worth.

...oh and another thing, the fraud alerts are constant. I am always speaking to reps. No one has asked me what I am buying, but I can tell they are itching to know. I call the automated robot # first, but 1/2 the time it says it must transfer me to flesh and blood.
Old Nov 3, 14, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop View Post
Opposite for me as well. Got both. Got Propel, met promo, got the bonus $400 + $100 airline credit via paper checks and deposited at BofA. .

I think we'd all like to know, how did you manage to get the $100 airline credit rebate issued via paper check?
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
Yea your misunderstood on the T&C. They changed like 6 months ago. You can't have an open card with Wells or a closed card with a balance.
Old Nov 4, 14, 11:12 am

Opposite for me as well. Got both. Got Propel, met promo, got the bonus $400 + $100 airline credit via paper checks and deposited at BofA.
I think we'd all like to know, how did you manage to get the $100 airline credit rebate issued via paper check?
I did not get a paper check for the airline credit. You are correct sir. I could have phrased it better. Got a few checks for the promo $400 and then the credit to the statement for the $100. Still $500 when all was said and done. BTW, the airline credit came from buying 2 $50 SW gift cards.
Old Nov 4, 14, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ChurnChop View Post
I did not get a paper check for the airline credit. You are correct sir. I could have phrased it better. Got a few checks for the promo $400 and then the credit to the statement for the $100. Still $500 when all was said and done. BTW, the airline credit came from buying 2 $50 SW gift cards.

Ok. Thought so
cool though
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky View Post
Inauspicious start with this card to say the least.
All this for a measly $1,000 purchase? How often will I have to repeat these steps?
Update: Went back to the branch. With another banker, we called both credit card services and fraud dept. The banker told me that officially the account was cleared but they can't guarantee another purchase would go through. The banker and I are both Russian, so she gave me the part of the conversation she wasn't supposed to share with me (fraud dept even asked if speaker was on) Fraud told the banker that the reason it may or may not go through is that some people are putting large charges on the card "just for the points." I asked the banker how in the world they'd know one way or the other and that I buy these GC's for business purposes.

After I left the bank I went straight to Rite Aid and attempted a 2k transaction. Declined, of course, second swipe too. Get in the car, while driving, call to clear card again with CS. Go to another Rite Aid and attempt 1k. Decline x2.

Ain't this card lovely?
Old Nov 4, 14, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky View Post
... Fraud told the banker that the reason it may or may not go through is that some people are putting large charges on the card "just for the points." I asked the banker how in the world they'd know one way or the other and that I buy these GC's for business purposes.

After I left the bank I went straight to Rite Aid and attempted a 2k transaction. Declined, of course, second swipe too. Get in the car, while driving, call to clear card again with CS. Go to another Rite Aid and attempt 1k. Decline x2.

Ain't this card lovely?
Apparently WF is not as stupid as AE who has finally started shutting people down who used the Old Blue Cash for $100,000/mo for years. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just watching you run around town and giggling about your next decline.

I got the card a week ago and nearly every transaction is another call to fraud. They have not made me go into a branch though thank god. They haven't yet asked what I'm buying but their desire to know is absolutely evident. I will say if you tell them it's for business purposes they may be able to shut you down right there. Not sure for this card but for many personal cards, it's in the terms, not for business use.

Good luck. I admire your perseverance. Keep it up until there is only one winner standing. Hopefully you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: