Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 1, 14, 12:26 pm

Couple points.
1. Had a lot of trouble with rewards site. Firefox private browser has worked the most, but that didn't work a couple times also.

2. I have had a ton of problems with this card lately, but virtually none in the first few months. However I've never had any threats with overpaying, or anything like that. Just declined purchases for which they are apologetic and very helpful every time I call. I think overpaying is a real thing that people are accidentally doing.

3. I started fast with this card with no issues. I was several times over my credit limit within the first 30 days. As always, less purchases is always ideal. Everything fell apart for me when walmart stopped at first taking OVs, and 5k at CVS wasn't the only answer.
Old Sep 1, 14, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
I have a $15k limit. I spent $15k the first month, then about $30k/month after that. I got the "overpayment" warning during the fourth months.

Do they give a second warning if you keep doing it, or do they just shut you down?
They've warned me, give or take a warning, four times. But it's to a point I'm uncomfortable pushing it further.
Old Sep 3, 14, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by I can see for miles View Post
They've warned me, give or take a warning, four times. But it's to a point I'm uncomfortable pushing it further.
I don't understand WF at all. Today I received my second warning and it was stern. 'Continue with your "overpayments" and we'll close you account yada yada yada.' I talked in circles with the front line CS rep and then a manager about this "overpayment" bs. I kept saying this product is a revolving line of credit and that's what I'm doing - revolving it. I wake up in the morning and check my outstanding balance. I then pay a little less than my outstanding balance. I do this every gosh dang day with out fail. Paying it off (directly from my WF checking account) frees up my outstanding balance immediately which enables me to spend.

If this isn't a revolving line of credit make it a prepaid card.

WF will do what they want to do. What did I do? After an hour on the phone with those two, I asked the manager for a CL increase from $20k to $35k.

[my line of reasoning is if they are concerned about paying the cc multiple times within a cycle, well why don't I increase the CL so I don't have to pay it off so many times.....]

Outcome - Approved. They make no sense over there. Tell me they are going to shut me down and then give me more breathing room. Whatever.

Last edited by edbyu; Sep 4, 14 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 3, 14, 6:16 pm

Done with my 6 months with this card.. Where are you guys moving after this? Old amex blue?
Old Sep 3, 14, 10:05 pm

Programs: AOPA
From some of the days points I have gathered, it looks like over 2x will get warned in the 4th months. Andif you stay under 2x after the warning you might be ok.
Old Sep 4, 14, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by geewitz71 View Post
Done with my 6 months with this card.. Where are you guys moving after this? Old amex blue?
is there a thread for TD bank? I was thinking of doing that. That doesn't include pharmacies though. But groceries to feed walmart is a big part of my current plan anyway.

I already have old amex blue. I can't think of any good reason that everybody seriously in the game wouldn't get that. It's more reliable than WF too. Whenever possible I first try to put spend on WF, and then Amex blue...so if my transaction gets refused, I have the amex as a backup and don't have to cancel the transaction and cause trouble.
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:19 am

I just checked my 5X window, and it ends on 9/15 (Monday).

will my spending on 9/15 still earn 5X?
or to be safe, last purchase should be made on 9/12 (Fri) or 9/13(Sat), which will be posted on 9/15 (Monday)?

thank you!
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by nkp46 View Post

or to be safe, last purchase should be made on 9/12 (Fri) or 9/13(Sat), which will be posted on 9/15 (Monday)?

thank you!
Better to be conservative. I had a few thousand worth of transactions that all posted on the day my promotion expired (as indicated on the rewards website). I got 5X rewards on only the transactions that were made two days before the deadline, even though the post date was the same for all of them.

Last edited by mrmandel; Sep 5, 14 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mrmandel View Post
Better to be conservative. I had a few thousand worth of transactions that all posted on the day my promotion expired (according to the date on the rewards website). I got 5X rewards on only the transactions that were made two days before the deadline, even though the post date was the same for all of them.
Thank you. Your data points are very important for me.
I was planning last purchase on 9/12 (Fri) which will be posted on 9/15 (Mon), but now it seems I better spend on 9/10, and let is post on 9/12.
The rewards post date always 2 days or 3 days later than actually spending date.
Old Sep 5, 14, 11:45 am

deleted

Last edited by nkp46; Sep 11, 14 at 7:55 am
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:20 pm

Thank you. Your data points are very important for me.
I was planning last purchase on 9/12 (Fri) which will be posted on 9/15 (Mon), but now it seems I better spend on 9/10, and let is post on 9/12.
The rewards post date always 2 days or 3 days later than actually spending date.
Yes, I am referring to the post date on my statement. The last purchases that earned 5X actually posted on the rewards site one day after the expiration of the promo, but again, other purchases posted the same day did not earn the bonus.
Old Sep 5, 14, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
is there a thread for TD bank? I was thinking of doing that. That doesn't include pharmacies though. But groceries to feed walmart is a big part of my current plan anyway.

I already have old amex blue. I can't think of any good reason that everybody seriously in the game wouldn't get that. It's more reliable than WF too. Whenever possible I first try to put spend on WF, and then Amex blue...so if my transaction gets refused, I have the amex as a backup and don't have to cancel the transaction and cause trouble.
Here's the link for the TD thread. I doesn't have much information about MS techniques yet. I was just approved myself and waiting on the card to hit it hard.
Old Sep 5, 14, 8:27 pm

I have the WF card about 2 wks. I am so frustrated about the declines. Last time I was trying to purchase 1k in a grocery store it get declined. I talk with a WF FP CSR and again decline. Did about 4 times with the CSR in the phone. Then the CSR said he cannot do anything else to make it work. Waisted more than half an hour and left with no success. At night I call the FP again and the guy was asking me, what I was buying from the drug store for 1k ?. ( I bought 1k from drug store with great difficulty before). Are you buying money orders or gift cards?. I said I am not buying anything illegal. He said he cannot open the card unless I tell him all the list of items I bought. ( I did't even use 1/4th of my credit line.). I think this card too much trouble to use.

Last edited by Sam2014; Sep 5, 14 at 8:28 pm Reason: edit
Old Sep 6, 14, 5:34 am

thank you!
For my first time doing the promotion, I got credit for purchases that were made on the last day. That's the way it should work.
Old Sep 6, 14, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
For my first time doing the promotion, I got credit for purchases that were made on the last day. That's the way it should work.
Looking at my transactions again, if I had to guess what happened, I'd say it has something to do with the end of the 6th statement cycle. In my case, the end of the promotion as indicated on the rewards website was the first day of the 7th statement cycle.

Purchases I made on the last day of the statement cycle were late at night, but before midnight ET. This was the day before the expiration date. None of these got the bonus. Nothing purchased the following day got the bonus either.

The only anomaly was purchases made the day before the statement cycled but that didn't post on the 6th statement, still earned the bonus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: