Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 29, 14, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by edbyu View Post
What's the typical lag time for a statement closing (around midnight) and points showing up in the rewards account? Is it a few days?
About two days
Old Aug 29, 14, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
yes - I have my next churn coming up in a couple of months and would really like to try this out. Any tips on getting the a 2nd WF card? I abused the first one during the VR heydays. I don't expect to do anywhere near that volume anywhere but sure would be nice to have 10k-15k/month with a decent 5% card.
You want other people to waste a hard pull for you to confirm whether or not you will be able to get it again. If you have already combed this thread for data points and there are none what would make you think you can do it? Do it yourself then when someone else asks the same question as you just don't answer like other people haven't. I would think you have much more to gain than lose.
Old Aug 29, 14, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Today I tried a 5K purchase at CVS, and it was rejected twice, and a memo came up saying for the cashier to call a certain number.
I'm on my 2nd run with this card (authorized user), and the exact thing happened on my 1st card. Last time it was a long call at CVS, where eventually I was on the phone with WF and threatened yada yada, although after that call I never had any fraud problems again.

Today was less successful, but I learned some more info. The number the cashier was asked to call was not WF, it was the processor. They took down some information, and transferred her to WF. But WF was not able to find the store number of my CVS in their database, and the number the CVS had was wrong. It didn't make any sense. She was on the phone with them mostly on hold for over a half hour. They never could find it, and eventually they had to terminate the sale. She said the manager would look to find it tomorrow. I was able to still get 9 of the 10 cards though, 4 of them on $1K +$1k purchases on my WF card.

The takeaway is, that declines have nothing to do with WF. It's all about the processor. In fact I think almost none of our communication is really with WF. Has anybody else had that long phone call at the store where they sort stuff out? It was successful for me last time, and nothing came out of it this time, but it obviously made me nervous.
I had a similar experience today on a 4k purchase at CVS. Like you said, the transaction was intercepted by the processor first. After the cashier, who was very experienced and nice, verified the info on the phone with a rep from the processor after a long hold, the call was transferred to WF and they verified with me again. I am pretty sure that the second verification was with WF because they verified this and previous four transactions not at CVS as well. It is not clear what triggered the alert. I've done larger amount at CVS with the same card and this was my first time with this verification process. The cashier told me that he did this four, five times a year on average.
Old Aug 29, 14, 9:41 pm

Romeogg- After this happened to me on my first card, it was smooth sailing for me. I hope you have that fortune. Please report back.

I am having so much trouble lately and it's cutting into my MS. I've been having to call to unblock the card 2-3 times per week, and it is constantly getting denied. Sometimes it works on the second swipe, but not always. The two other cards I have at 5% have lower credit lines, so it's hard to always have a backup plan.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
I am having so much trouble lately and it's cutting into my MS. I've been having to call to unblock the card 2-3 times per week, and it is constantly getting denied. Sometimes it works on the second swipe, but not always. The two other cards I have at 5% have lower credit lines, so it's hard to always have a backup plan.
I have had the card for a little over a month and done 10+ transactions at never less than 1900 and EVERY time I have to call in to get the transaction to go through. Have gotten into the habit of calling while I walk into the store, and make the rep wait while I check out and that saves me 5 mins in total. It still gets denied while they are on the phone and they have to do the second verification and then it goes through.

Making me rethink my whole hobby.
Old Aug 31, 14, 6:45 am

Yes, WF has cut down on the MS it permits on these cards. The "overpayment" warnings have increased for us to the point we're probably going to charge only 1X the CL in the upcoming last month of 5X earning and then sock-drawer it. On the most recent warning, WF asked for the first time to speak to my wife, the primary cardholder, to issue the warning (I'm an authorized user and do all the MSing), many of us know well: that if we continue to "overpay" (cycling our CL), as WF calls it, the account may be closed. I could go for broke in the final month and risk a shutdown and blacklisting -- I'm typically aggressive in these situations -- but in these last 40 days of this deal I'm leaning toward using the card as WF wishes and living to perhaps play another day ... or, down the road, six months
Old Aug 31, 14, 9:30 am

I have this card for about a week. First time use in CVS for 1k and got declined. Talked with four different customer service and FP agents. Still don’t work. Later I got a call from WF and told me to go to a branch to verify myself. I did that and the branch CS agent call the FP at WF to very everything and he said it should work now. Went back to CVS and again declined. Called again the FP dept and again verify everything. The charges went through at last. For the next few days I get calls from WF to verify the charges.
Use the card after few days. Declined and talked with four different reps and declined four times. Just got fed up and left the store with no luck. Back home and again talk with two different FP agents.
I did not over pay, not even paid anything. I still have a lot of CL left. Too much trouble to use this card. I don’t think these declines are just FP because even after I call and talk with several WF-FP agents again it declines.
Old Aug 31, 14, 5:02 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Are the declines happen only at the pharmacy for large purchases or say, at groceries as well?
I'm at the point to apply for the card, but recent pages don't encourage much.
Old Aug 31, 14, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sam2014 View Post
I have this card for about a week. First time use in CVS for 1k and got declined. .
if its a "virgin" card (new card, never been swipe) you don't want to put first charge that is over $300, Fraud protection will block your card a week or more, you have to take it slow, you don't want Ron Jeremy at your first night do you.
Old Aug 31, 14, 9:00 pm

I just got approved for WF. I want to use this card to load money on AFT. Will that be posted as "Grocery" or regular purchase?
Old Aug 31, 14, 10:25 pm

Declines happen at all stores not just drug stores. I got interrogated by a WF CSR. After talking with atleast 5 or 6 CSR's from WF my card worked one time. I am thinking of not using it for a while. WF bank also did a 10 working day hold on my 5k check.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by ramamosn View Post
I just got approved for WF. I want to use this card to load money on AFT. Will that be posted as "Grocery" or regular purchase?
It may depend on each individual Target, but in my experience it codes as grocery.
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:10 am
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.

WF's definition of overpayment is really overcharging your limit in a billing cycle, even if you pay off everything. So avoid doing more than a certain amount over your limit. From what I have read, you will get warned at about 3rd/4th billing cycle and if you are charging >3x on a 15/20k limit.
I have a $15k limit. I spent $15k the first month, then about $30k/month after that. I got the "overpayment" warning during the fourth months.

Do they give a second warning if you keep doing it, or do they just shut you down?
Old Sep 1, 14, 11:27 am

Is the rewards website down? I wasn't able to view it ever from Sat night, would like to check whether my target purchase qualified as 5x

thanks
Old Sep 1, 14, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by susieling View Post
Is the rewards website down? I wasn't able to view it ever from Sat night, would like to check whether my target purchase qualified as 5x

thanks
try firefox.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: