Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old May 29, 14, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by met152 View Post
It appears to me that WF defines overpayment differently than what you're referring to.

WF seems to mean that if your CL is 10k and you charge 11k and make 11k in payments, that you have overpaid.
My account was locked once when my outstanding balance was something like 2k, and I had 5k pending. A 2.5k payment hit before the 5k pending charge posted. They considered that as overpayment by ~500.
A second time I was locked, probably b/c I was doing 2-2.5x CL. They still told me it was locked due to overpayment. When I explained that I was very careful with the timing of my payments due to overpaying once before, he explained that they didn't like to see charges greater than my CL and that's what he meant by overpayment.
+1
Old May 29, 14, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by toxicity View Post
WM payments take the full 2 weeks. However, payments I've made from Accountnow, other billpays have only taken a few days
My experience does not reflect this with WM payments. WM payments ($1.88) free up CL the next day. Payments from externally linked checking accounts when I pull from WF clear up CL next day. Phone payments have freed CL same day and next day. BB is usually next day.

WF experience: mortgage for ~6 years, car loan ~2 years, checking opened after credit card.
Old May 29, 14, 9:53 am

My experience does not reflect this with WM payments. WM payments ($1.88) free up CL the next day. Payments from externally linked checking accounts when I pull from WF clear up CL next day. Phone payments have freed CL same day and next day. BB is usually next day.

WF experience: mortgage for ~6 years, car loan ~2 years, checking opened after credit card.
Yeah I have no idea what WF is doing then. Just seems to be a complete mess all the way around, but hey, I'm not complaining.

If I wasn't using this card to MS there is no way in hell I would ever deal with the incompetence that is WF
Old May 29, 14, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by toxicity View Post
Yeah I have no idea what WF is doing then. Just seems to be a complete mess all the way around, but hey, I'm not complaining.

If I wasn't using this card to MS there is no way in hell I would ever deal with the incompetence that is WF
+1
Old May 29, 14, 10:30 am

WF is a pain in the ....

As a datapoint, I'm venturing near my second statement close. They gave me a paltry $2k limit like many others - I'll have went about 6x the limit both months with no noise from them.
Old May 29, 14, 10:40 am

Perhaps your mortgage and car loan put you in a more trusted bracket where things post sooner because you are a trusted entity to them.
Old May 29, 14, 10:51 am

Programs: AOPA

I have both a mortgage and a checking account, and I have the same experience with bill pay timing.

If you are worried about overpayment I sometime use the WM 3 day rather than the next day. $1 vs $1.5 usually, the payment usually hits after the posting of the buys.
Old May 29, 14, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
I have both a mortgage and a checking account, and I have the same experience with bill pay timing.

If you are worried about overpayment I sometime use the WM 3 day rather than the next day. $1 vs $1.5 usually, the payment usually hits after the posting of the buys.
Oh, I didn't know you could send the bill pay under "Wells Fargo." I always send it under "visa" and it costs $1.88.
Old May 29, 14, 7:17 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by Silverthunder View Post
Oh, I didn't know you could send the bill pay under "Wells Fargo." I always send it under "visa" and it costs $1.88.
Pay Wells Fargo line of credit, last one on the list.

Do not use " Wells Fargo line of credit svc" $1.5 for 1 day $1 for 3 day
Old Jun 2, 14, 10:19 pm

I have a theory that Wells Fargo complains about overpayments when you are paying a lot in a month from non-Wells Fargo accounts. Anyone care to agree or disagree with this?
Old Jun 3, 14, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Silverthunder View Post
I have a theory that Wells Fargo complains about overpayments when you are paying a lot in a month from non-Wells Fargo accounts. Anyone care to agree or disagree with this?
I would disagree. I made zero in non well accounts and got an overpayment.

I believe they complain about overpayments when people actually make overpayments without realizing it.

I've been playing the game now with them for about 8 months, so I'm extremely careful, and no issues for last 5 of so. I usually allow an extra day for things...i.e. even though credit clears immediately, I prefer to wait until next night when officially goes through before acting on it.

Be careful on weekends, be careful with late at night payments, be careful if redeeming rewards to credit card directly (I have no experience doing that)
Old Jun 3, 14, 7:38 am

8 months? Were you able to extend the 5%?
Old Jun 3, 14, 8:58 am

Conflicting Dates

Quick question:

The Wells Fargo Rewards page shows that my 5% bonus period ended on 6/2/2014. I noticed that the dates of purchases as reflected on my credit card statement are different than the dates for the same purchases as reflected on the "My Activity" portion of the rewards page, with the dates on the rewards page being a few days AFTER the actual purchase (I hope this makes sense).

For example, purchases I made on 5/30 are showing up as 6/1 on the rewards page. I'm assuming this means my last few purchases will be pushed past the promotional deadline even though they were made before 6/2/2014.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old Jun 3, 14, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by fetchercity View Post
Quick question:

The Wells Fargo Rewards page shows that my 5% bonus period ended on 6/2/2014. I noticed that the dates of purchases as reflected on my credit card statement are different than the dates for the same purchases as reflected on the "My Activity" portion of the rewards page, with the dates on the rewards page being a few days AFTER the actual purchase (I hope this makes sense).

For example, purchases I made on 5/30 are showing up as 6/1 on the rewards page. I'm assuming this means my last few purchases will be pushed past the promotional deadline even though they were made before 6/2/2014.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
You will get the rewards. It should show the 4x bonus under the 1x purchase. If it doesn't give it a day or two. Happened to me and I got the rewards.
Old Jun 3, 14, 11:21 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 19 at 9:06 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: