Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I've had mixed results from pushing from external sources. I think that the hold definitely comes into effect when placing it from an external bank via WF website. I guess I just better get in the habit of pushing money to my WF checking. I know that everyone has said that but I didn't think it would be as extreme as it has been. Lesson learned. LOL.
If your rewards are about to post I would hold off on any more purchases. Sounds like you are going to get the boot regardless of what they tell you.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:03 pm

Data point:
I have been warned 2x so far about overpaying my balance. The first warning was a few days ago. the 2nd warning was today and possibly in conjunction with a fraud alert (unclear as to whether this was triggered by a fraud alert or what). I did have some overpayments of my balance but that was over a month before my first warning. I did less than 1x credit limit first billing cycle, then I did 5.25x credit limit in 2nd, 5x in 3rd, on track for about 6x in the 4th billing cycle.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
If your rewards are about to post I would hold off on any more purchases. Sounds like you are going to get the boot regardless of what they tell you.
so you think that longer "holds" on the payments are a sign that they are shutting you down? has this actually happened before a shutdown, that you know of?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
so you think that longer "holds" on the payments are a sign that they are shutting you down? has this actually happened before a shutdown, that you know of?
My friend got his account shut down without any notice after a few phone conversations about locked account. They can shut you down for no reason. If they do your not getting your rewards back. I don't have any data points to back up the fact that holding payments will lead to shutdown but cdancer has had multiple run ins now, I would just tread lightly if you have been contacted multiple times and your statement is about to post.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My friend got his account shut down without any notice after a few phone conversations about locked account. They can shut you down for no reason. If they do your not getting your rewards back. I don't have any data points to back up the fact that holding payments will lead to shutdown but cdancer has had multiple run ins now, I would just tread lightly if you have been contacted multiple times and your statement is about to post.
Actually I think I had ONE run in. Just that the people kept forgetting to notate my acct about it. However, I am of course not behind the scenes. FYI, I have never gone over 1.5x my CL if that helps anyone. I think the overpayments definitely bring attention to your acct.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Luckily my statement just cut yesterday. I just redeemed my money so hopefully I get the money into my acct and out to my new acct before anything new happens.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Luckily my statement just cut yesterday. I just redeemed my money so hopefully I get the money into my acct and out to my new acct before anything new happens.
Do you guys redeem to your cc statement or checking/check? do they frown upon any particular method? How long does it take to post to cc statement if one goes that route?
Old May 28, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Do you guys redeem to your cc statement or checking/check? do they frown upon any particular method? How long does it take to post to cc statement if one goes that route?
I redeem to WF checking. Usually shows up the next day or the day after that.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:03 pm

How many times over CL was your friend doing?
Old May 28, 2014, 8:01 pm

How many times over CL was your friend doing?
Over 60k a month
Old May 28, 2014, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Over 60k a month
60,000x his CL...so if his CL was $10k then he put $600,000,000 per month on his card. At 5% that would be $30M...that would be nice. If we could pull that off we would retire in Thailand tomorrow with an endless supply of ladies to while away the days with.

Anyway....60k on a 30k CL is alot different than 60k on a 2k CL
Old May 29, 2014, 6:36 am

I think it was 3x+
Old May 29, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AOPA
For those been shut down by Wells, do you all have prior banking relationships with the bank. Like checking, savings or mortgage?

The delay in payment postings/credit limit releases MIGHT be dependent on other ban king relationships.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:29 am

It has been mentioned countless times across multiple threads on FT to NEVER overpay an account. Why are people still doing this? At that point, you deserve to have your account shut down.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
It has been mentioned countless times across multiple threads on FT to NEVER overpay an account. Why are people still doing this? At that point, you deserve to have your account shut down.
It appears to me that WF defines overpayment differently than what you're referring to.

WF seems to mean that if your CL is 10k and you charge 11k and make 11k in payments, that you have overpaid.
My account was locked once when my outstanding balance was something like 2k, and I had 5k pending. A 2.5k payment hit before the 5k pending charge posted. They considered that as overpayment by ~500.
A second time I was locked, probably b/c I was doing 2-2.5x CL. They still told me it was locked due to overpayment. When I explained that I was very careful with the timing of my payments due to overpaying once before, he explained that they didn't like to see charges greater than my CL and that's what he meant by overpayment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.