Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 7, 13, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
A little off topic but....
95% sure wells Fargo will start issuing chip and pin emv cards beginning November 15 2013
Foreign 3% fee will still probably apply
Old Nov 7, 13, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
THat's good, how much of the 18K was MS?

17.5 K are Walgreen, CVS and Grocory store gift card purchase (like paypal cash card, AMEX gift card, visa gift card, Vanilla reload visa etc)
Old Nov 7, 13, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Elmatador View Post
Well done. I am debating whether or not getting this one. Since there are no bonus. I'd have to do about 3K MS per 6 mo. to make it worth it the pull. that would total what you just did in 1 mo. ~ 90k points

I bought 5K Vanilla reload @ CVS to my Bluebird and billpay my other credit card

5K paypal + 4K Visa + 3K AMEX GC
Old Nov 8, 13, 9:19 am

calendar year resets, so it's really $2400 in 6 months if you apply now. $1200 in 2013 and $1200 in 2014.
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:02 am

I just got approved for the 5% cashback card, have an existing low limit $3200 card with them, got 6k on new card.

I was planning on hitting it pretty hard with it, CVS and gas stations and recycle through BB but it seems that people are having a bit of a hard time with it.

I think i'll probably take it slow, do 3k first month and see what they say..

thanks for all the info everyone.
Old Nov 8, 13, 1:45 pm

buy less than 1K each time at CVS, I always do 1 @$500 and 1 @$490 which let credit card charge below 1K, >=1 K CVS will record your DL each time

Originally Posted by rymetymeuk View Post
I just got approved for the 5% cashback card, have an existing low limit $3200 card with them, got 6k on new card.

I was planning on hitting it pretty hard with it, CVS and gas stations and recycle through BB but it seems that people are having a bit of a hard time with it.

I think i'll probably take it slow, do 3k first month and see what they say..

thanks for all the info everyone.
Old Nov 8, 13, 1:59 pm

thanks for the advice. I am curious as to whether me making multiple BB payments to them over the course of the month will make that credit available again. I've always seen it work that way but others seem to say WF is different!?!
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:56 pm

Yes, take it extremely slow with CVS. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you make multiple charges at CVS of $500 or more in a short span of time, you will get a call from WF's fraud department. Your account will also be frozen until you speak to them.
Old Nov 8, 13, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
Yes, take it extremely slow with CVS. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you make multiple charges at CVS of $500 or more in a short span of time, you will get a call from WF's fraud department. Your account will also be frozen until you speak to them.
Trouble with taking it extremely slow is that you only have 6 months! Is buying, say a $500 gift card at a supermarket slightly less of an issue? Still would want to do it a lot!
Old Nov 9, 13, 11:53 am

Is it true that WF does not give points right away and is always working from behind to issue them? What I mean is, I opened up a CC account for the 5X bonuses, ran 2K , statement closed and I did not get any points right away
called CSR and thats what they said. I should get them NEXT cycle??
Old Nov 9, 13, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT View Post
Is it true that WF does not give points right away and is always working from behind to issue them? What I mean is, I opened up a CC account for the 5X bonuses, ran 2K , statement closed and I did not get any points right away
called CSR and thats what they said. I should get them NEXT cycle??
Go to the Wells Fargo home page and open your credit card account page.
On the left side you will see "Show My Rewards." Click that.
Now on the left side you will see "Rewards Summary" It will say "To redeem your rewards and shop at our Earn More Mall® site, visit Wells Fargo Rewards." Click on Wells Fargo Rewards.
This takes you to the Rewards page. At the top of the page under "My Rewards" click "Activity".
This takes you to a page where you will see every transaction, how many points you earned AND how many bonus points you earned.
My bonus points show up right away, but you can't use them until the next statement.
Old Nov 9, 13, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
Trouble with taking it extremely slow is that you only have 6 months! Is buying, say a $500 gift card at a supermarket slightly less of an issue? Still would want to do it a lot!
I was frozen five times, and was contacted by their fraud department each time during my first month with WF. They get nervous when they see patterns of high dollar charges, even if you aren't near your credit limit.

I have a feeling that if you do repetitive $500 charges at supermarkets, you'll get frozen, unless you space them out by a few days.

I have a very good relationship with WF, so they seem to be pacifying me; however, if someone doesn't have a long-term relationship with them, I just don't know how patient they will be. I have never experienced a credit card company like this.
Old Nov 9, 13, 10:32 pm

Disregard my last rant of a post. Points posted in the evening!! I already redeemed some.
We will see how long it to process? Weird though that it showed 0 points online and on my statement this morning,yet now it shows correct amount?? #weird and spooky
Old Nov 10, 13, 11:40 am

I've heard that the taxes and fees at this place can add quite a bit to the nightly rate.

I booked on points. Am I correct in assuming that I won't have any taxes and fees this way?
Old Nov 10, 13, 12:00 pm

I'm hoping that my 5+ yrs of positive history with WF will mean they take a good stance with me, I won't be hitting it too hard to start with but I do plan on making 3-6k purchases a month.

I guess I"ll do $200 CVS in the first week, ramp up to $500 the second and then so on. I'll post what happens..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: