Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card


Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.


To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.


To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.


Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.


What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 14, 5:20 pm
  #391  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by WallabyD View Post
It is $8K in rewards. When they notified me in regards to closing my account, I called the Rewards Department and requested for a cash out of my $3K of existing cash rewards. The representative in the Rewards Dept noted to me that my other $5K of rewards for Feb month-end were pending and would be rolled into my account at the end of February...which was two days away. She recommended me to call back then and cash them all out together. When two days rolled by, I logged in and noted that my account was then zeroed out. The existing $3K I had were gone and the pending are still pending.

Another fact I am not happy about.
FDIC them. Probably your only shot right now. I'd do it right now. WFC sucks.
newbynewbynew is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 6:44 pm
  #392  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 535
Sorry to hear of your bad news. If there is a lesson from this for others, it's open up a checking account with them and push the money through there to avoid these issues. There is currently a $100 bonus to do it too.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:40 pm
  #393  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Sorry to hear of your bad news. If there is a lesson from this for others, it's open up a checking account with them and push the money through there to avoid these issues. There is currently a $100 bonus to do it too.
This is not a fail safe. I have a checking account and I still experienced same issues.
newbynewbynew is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:59 pm
  #394  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew View Post
This is not a fail safe. I have a checking account and I still experienced same issues.
Until somebody tells me definitively otherwise, I still think it's people pushing bonus weekend payments through without realizing it, since their system does not update over the weekend and can trick you. I got that message early on, and I think that is what I had done.

I'm also theorizing that making purchases after your credit line has been restored, but before the transfer from the checking account to credit card account clears may also lead to trouble. Waiting makes me one day slower, but it's not much of a loss to me, since I'm already spending a level that's about as high as I can liquidate through my various means without driving in too large a circuit for my MS errands.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 9:12 pm
  #395  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Until somebody tells me definitively otherwise, I still think it's people pushing bonus weekend payments through without realizing it, since their system does not update over the weekend and can trick you. I got that message early on, and I think that is what I had done.

I'm also theorizing that making purchases after your credit line has been restored, but before the transfer from the checking account to credit card account clears may also lead to trouble. Waiting makes me one day slower, but it's not much of a loss to me, since I'm already spending a level that's about as high as I can liquidate through my various means without driving in too large a circuit for my MS errands.
Agree on the weekend thing. That was the only time i tripped up. Got frozen then. Got frozen one other time for absolutely no reason I could come up with.
newbynewbynew is offline  
Old Mar 15, 14, 9:43 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ATL/LAX
Posts: 4,869
The cap is gone, right?

Rewards Card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/terms/
8. There is no limit to the Points You may earn in any calendar year.

Same for Cash Back Card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...sh-back/terms/

I keep searching for "120,000" but can't find it anywhere.

Citi 5X just expired for me, and I have the Amex 5% going, but I want to slowly ramp that up, so looking to get this card to pair with that for the time being.
amolkold is offline  
Old Mar 15, 14, 10:43 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
The cap is gone, right?

Rewards Card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/terms/
8. There is no limit to the Points You may earn in any calendar year.

Same for Cash Back Card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...sh-back/terms/

I keep searching for "120,000" but can't find it anywhere.

Citi 5X just expired for me, and I have the Amex 5% going, but I want to slowly ramp that up, so looking to get this card to pair with that for the time being.
cap is gone
drdrew450 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 14, 6:43 am
  #398  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,488
Originally Posted by WallabyD View Post
It is $8K in rewards. When they notified me in regards to closing my account, I called the Rewards Department and requested for a cash out of my $3K of existing cash rewards. The representative in the Rewards Dept noted to me that my other $5K of rewards for Feb month-end were pending and would be rolled into my account at the end of February...which was two days away. She recommended me to call back then and cash them all out together. When two days rolled by, I logged in and noted that my account was then zeroed out. The existing $3K I had were gone and the pending are still pending.

Another fact I am not happy about.
For that amount I would at the very least FDIC them but more likely would be to sue in small claims. In fact you may be too high to use small claims. Check with your state what small claims cover? You should sue however you can and they will likely settle
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Mar 16, 14, 10:14 am
  #399  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
For that amount I would at the very least FDIC them but more likely would be to sue in small claims. In fact you may be too high to use small claims. Check with your state what small claims cover? You should sue however you can and they will likely settle
8K is a lot of money, but I believe it's not in our collective best interest for them to be sued over this. It only makes it less likely they would do unlimited deals like this again...brings attention to us. Not saying that you shouldn't pursue this...it may be in your best interest, but our community needs no extra attention.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Mar 16, 14, 1:04 pm
  #400  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,034
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
8K is a lot of money, but I believe it's not in our collective best interest for them to be sued over this. It only makes it less likely they would do unlimited deals like this again...brings attention to us. Not saying that you shouldn't pursue this...it may be in your best interest, but our community needs no extra attention.
So you want the poster NOT to recover his loss, so you can continue your game?

Would you share your spoils with the OP then?

Cannot think of any more selfish post as this.

OP: Your amount most likely is over Small Claims Court's limit. Do check your state's regulation to see what avenues you can pursuit.

Though it is not surprising to any that you are pushing the envelop too far in only your second month... when the payments kept being returned, you should have taken notice and start ridding out what you have earned, and stop your aggressive pattern...

Last edited by Happy; Mar 16, 14 at 1:09 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 16, 14, 4:31 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
So you want the poster NOT to recover his loss, so you can continue your game?

Would you share your spoils with the OP then?

Cannot think of any more selfish post as this.

OP: Your amount most likely is over Small Claims Court's limit. Do check your state's regulation to see what avenues you can pursuit.

Though it is not surprising to any that you are pushing the envelop too far in only your second month... when the payments kept being returned, you should have taken notice and start ridding out what you have earned, and stop your aggressive pattern...
You might want to take a breathe and actually read what I wrote. I never told the OP not to pursue it, nor did I say he shouldn't.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 11:27 am
  #402  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 343
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
You might want to take a breathe and actually read what I wrote. I never told the OP not to pursue it, nor did I say he shouldn't.
Hey Zep,

You told the poster not to sue WF over 8K -- and what Happy, myself, and some others of us will take issue with is this: That's NOT in the poster's best interest. As anyone will tell you who has successfully recovered a large sum of money, miles or points on a CC deal that a bank is trying to renege on, the ONLY way to get what you've earned is to sue the bank, which, in most cases, leads to a settlement in which you get everything you've earned. I know from firsthand experience and from conversations with other FTers that it literally is the ONLY way to hold a CC issuer accountable. Otherwise, the bank will cite its weasely T&Cs to screw you and be done with you.

If a bank does end a deal such as this, it's far, far more likely because it gets a clue and realizes too many MSers are earning more than it had intended to pay out -- not because too many MSers are suing to hold the bank accountable and make it pay out a few more times. Very few MSers sue for what they've earned. Those who do are a sliver of the already tiny MS sliver (compared to the general population of CC users).
I can see for miles is online now  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:16 pm
  #403  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,034
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
8K is a lot of money, but I believe it's not in our collective best interest for them to be sued over this. It only makes it less likely they would do unlimited deals like this again...brings attention to us. Not saying that you shouldn't pursue this...it may be in your best interest, but our community needs no extra attention.
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
You might want to take a breathe and actually read what I wrote. I never told the OP not to pursue it, nor did I say he shouldn't.
Originally Posted by I can see for miles View Post
Hey Zep,

You told the poster not to sue WF over 8K -- and what Happy, myself, and some others of us will take issue with is this: That's NOT in the poster's best interest. As anyone will tell you who has successfully recovered a large sum of money, miles or points on a CC deal that a bank is trying to renege on, the ONLY way to get what you've earned is to sue the bank, which, in most cases, leads to a settlement in which you get everything you've earned. I know from firsthand experience and from conversations with other FTers that it literally is the ONLY way to hold a CC issuer accountable. Otherwise, the bank will cite its weasely T&Cs to screw you and be done with you.

If a bank does end a deal such as this, it's far, far more likely because it gets a clue and realizes too many MSers are earning more than it had intended to pay out -- not because too many MSers are suing to hold the bank accountable and make it pay out a few more times. Very few MSers sue for what they've earned. Those who do are a sliver of the already tiny MS sliver (compared to the general population of CC users).
Thank you for posting this.

The way you, me and others read it - Zep is only concerned with the "collective interest", i.e. his ability to continue to earn, but certainly not concerned with the interest of the person who has lost $8K.
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:58 pm
  #404  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 535
Well you are welcome to make your own judgments on what I said and I totally understand why you would feel that way. That's why I was pretty clear to state that I did think it would probably be in the OPs best interest to pursue this. I'm not sure why you think "collective interest" means my personal best interest...it really is in our best interest. The poster might gain 8K, but it might cost our community several million dollars if WF and other banks change their offers because the right person realizes what is going on or gets so aggravated by what could easily be considered a BS lawsuit. Heck if the OP had a plan to use WF again for another person, it could possibly cost him over 8K of future money.

Until the money posts, I don't consider it mine. I consider it pending. I know what I'm doing is not technically allowed and I expect shutdown everyday (Bancorp just did that for another card of mine). I definitely feel for the OP, and that could easily happen to me. You are connecting dots that aren't there. I'm not telling the OP not to sue for the basis of our community, I'm just merely pointing out a fact, that it draws unnecessary attention to our community, which he is part of, and given his monthly totals, is a big part of. OP can decide for himself what he wants to do.

Now if you choose to interpret that as anything but what I've said, that's your prerogative, but it's your word vs. my word, on what my word is, so I'll know you are wrong.
zeppoloveskafka is offline  
Old Mar 18, 14, 5:22 am
  #405  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 343
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Well you are welcome to make your own judgments on what I said and I totally understand why you would feel that way. That's why I was pretty clear to state that I did think it would probably be in the OPs best interest to pursue this. I'm not sure why you think "collective interest" means my personal best interest...it really is in our best interest. The poster might gain 8K, but it might cost our community several million dollars if WF and other banks change their offers because the right person realizes what is going on or gets so aggravated by what could easily be considered a BS lawsuit. Heck if the OP had a plan to use WF again for another person, it could possibly cost him over 8K of future money.

Until the money posts, I don't consider it mine. I consider it pending. I know what I'm doing is not technically allowed and I expect shutdown everyday (Bancorp just did that for another card of mine). I definitely feel for the OP, and that could easily happen to me. You are connecting dots that aren't there. I'm not telling the OP not to sue for the basis of our community, I'm just merely pointing out a fact, that it draws unnecessary attention to our community, which he is part of, and given his monthly totals, is a big part of. OP can decide for himself what he wants to do.

Now if you choose to interpret that as anything but what I've said, that's your prerogative, but it's your word vs. my word, on what my word is, so I'll know you are wrong.
Thanks for fleshing out and explaining you position more clearly.
I can see for miles is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: