Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One GM card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Capital One GM card

Hello everyone. My parents have had this card for a very long time, they got it before Cap One bought it.

They have around $3500 towards a new car. The problem is they are never going to buy a GM car. I just found out that this is the card they have been using and when I asked they had no idea why they got it in the first place.

My question is, can they redeem the $3,500 towards anything else? If not, is this something I could trade in CC?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
There appears to be another card in the GM family of cards. I'm not sure if CapitalOne offers PC's but this might be an option.
https://www.gmcard.com/flex/how-to-earn
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I assume OP wants to know if the points have some value other than as credit toward buying a GM car.

First, I suggest you confirm how many points you have. Get a phone rep to confirm how much you'll save on a car.

Your best bet is probably to help buy someone else's new car: a friend, a family member.

At the end of the day, I don't think you'll get much value out of your points.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cap One Gm card

Isn't there a limit on how much your can save per car purchase. I don't think you could use the entire $3500 on one car unless it was an expensive Cadillac or Corvette.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by chicagorich
Isn't there a limit on how much your can save per car purchase. I don't think you could use the entire $3500 on one car unless it was an expensive Cadillac or Corvette.
I own this credit card & back in 2004 I used the entire $3,500 towards one new car purchase (Oldsmobile Aurora).

Unfortunately, We currently have about $3,000 on it again. This was before I discovered the points/miles game. Also about a year and a half ago we bought a brand new Toyota & won't be buying any GM product anytime soon. Double whammy!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by jerry305
I assume OP wants to know if the points have some value other than as credit toward buying a GM car.

First, I suggest you confirm how many points you have. Get a phone rep to confirm how much you'll save on a car.

Your best bet is probably to help buy someone else's new car: a friend, a family member.

At the end of the day, I don't think you'll get much value out of your points.
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the info. Anyone want $3500 off a new gm
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:17 pm

I've used it twice for family members, so yes others can use credit, but they had the same last name as me, ymmv.

I had about $2500 in benefits and just got a flyer saying were increasing it to $3500. So they may not have earned the full 3500.

Their is a cap on amount applicable per vehicle mostly 1000-1500.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jt58203
I own this credit card & back in 2004 I used the entire $3,500 towards one new car purchase (Oldsmobile Aurora).

Unfortunately, We currently have about $3,000 on it again. This was before I discovered the points/miles game. Also about a year and a half ago we bought a brand new Toyota & won't be buying any GM product anytime soon. Double whammy!
Maybe they didn't have it back then. This is from the cards info.

https://www.gmcard.com/core/vehicles/ra-2013
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:09 pm

Just wondering if there are any other people with this card. If you were planning no buying a new GM product this could be a pretty powerful tool. You are getting $250 plus 2 percent back, plus saving on the interest rate of the money not financed (assuming finance option). What I wonder is that can you negotiate a price for the car and THEN take this off of that?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rotarycoach
What I wonder is that can you negotiate a price for the car and THEN take this off of that?
I don't know why that wouldn't work (but haven't tried it myself).

The fine print for the card mentions these restrictions:
"Earnings may not be used on the purchase of any vehicle sold as a fleet vehicle, or with some private offers and discounted sale programs, such as the GM Employee Purchase Program."
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:06 am

Back in the '90's the GM card was 5% on every purchase, unlimited. I accrued $4200, called and got a certificate sent to me, went through the normal negotiation to arrive at a good price, and then handed over the certificate. They didn't bat an eye. List price ~$24K, out the door with $17K on a fully loaded Pontiac Grand Prix back in 2000. I got lucky, that was a great car. Lasted me 9 solid years, over 200K miles.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:02 am

I have had the old GM card for about a dozen years. A few clarifying thoughts:

1. The "old" card is capped by $500 per year, up to 7 rolling years, so it is possible to put 8 card years of credit onto it for $4000 towards a GM vehicle. Newer cards issued, I'd say in the last half-dozen years, have vehicle caps considerably less than this.

2. GM Card literature has always encouraged negotiation prior to revealing payment using the GM Card earned credit. This is what I did.

3. The car I purchased 5 years ago I was happy to find that sales tax was not charged on the value of the GM Card credit of $3500, saving another ~$250.

This is definitely not for a lot of people as you need to buy a GM car. On the other hand, if you have the "old" card, ~5.36% return for spend is good enough for me to buy one every 7-8 years for someone in the family.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:48 pm

With multiple Serve and APs, this seems like a good use of 5K of my MSing. (Too bad all my wife wants is a minivan. Oh well, I'll just start MSing my way to a sports car now then.)

I know that T&C always exclude things like the GM T&C do (cash transfers, cash equivalents etc.) but can anyone confirm getting 5% on Amazon Payments on the BuyPower card?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:41 am

2% towards a vehicle discount is a terrible use of MS, considering multiple cards offer 2%+ with far less onerous redemption opportunities.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:27 am

Agreed. 5K a year at 5%, however, is nice when I'm going to be in the market for a car in the next few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.