Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Should I cash out $750 check in Discover account or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline

After 500$ promotion for 5 months (spending $3000/month) and 5% bonus/quarter, I have around 750$ in my Discover, do you think that I should cash out $750 or not? Is it safe to keep $750 in Discover account? From my experience, I know that it is not wise to keep points in Chase or Citi accounts, how about Discover? anyone has any experience about Discover?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by happy9zz
After 500$ promotion for 5 months (spending $3000/month) and 5% bonus/quarter, I have around 750$ in my Discover, do you think that I should cash out $750 or not? Is it safe to keep $750 in Discover account? From my experience, I know that it is not wise to keep points in Chase or Citi accounts, how about Discover? anyone has any experience about Discover?
I'd argue it's never wise to keep $750 in value in anything that says they can take it away at anytime. Especially when you've ran that much spend. Go crazy on Amazon
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:46 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Well what are you saving it for? You don't get any bonus for redeeming in larger increments, so might as well take it as you get it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by happy9zz
To answer your question, yes, it is safe.

But as others have posted, what are you waiting for? I cash out every year for gift cards that provide a 25% bonus. If you see something you want & can use, go that route; otherwise, just get the cash.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
When I cash out a check, I will receive $750. However, if I redeem for gift cards such as Express. I will receive $50 at Express for 40$ redeem. Can I do many 40$ redeem for 50$ gift cards at Express?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:19 pm

You can redeem it for whatever you want. Find some giftcards you like and get them if you want. I usually keep a decent balance in my account since it's linked to Amazon for those impulse buys and just in case the Shell gift card deal comes back one of these days.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:21 pm

happy9zz, if they offer $80 Shell gas cards for $40 (or something) like they used to, it's good to have left lotsa money there. About six months ago calling about something else, I asked if we'll see deals like that again. They acted like "don't count on it" but that's probably just one clueless CSR's opinion (hopefully).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
happy9zz, if they offer $80 Shell gas cards for $40 (or something) like they used to, it's good to have left lotsa money there. About six months ago calling about something else, I asked if we'll see deals like that again. They acted like "don't count on it" but that's probably just one clueless CSR's opinion (hopefully).

To my knowledge, that happened once, ever. Two years ago almost to the day. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: I like them all

I've held over $3,000 in Cashback which was only recently cashed out as I finally got smarter and switched my spend elsewhere. Never felt a need to cash it out or that they would take it away. And sure enough, was able to get everything that was earned without issues.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: SQ
Like others have said, the program could change the rules at any time. The safe decision is to take it out now, and I'm not convinced you'll get some kind of amazing value if you keep it in there either.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You may want to keep around $100-200 in your account in case a deal comes around on a gift card that you want, or something like that. Cash out the rest.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:14 am

No point in keeping $750 in there. It's sitting in there all by its lonesome, not earning interest, with the (semi-remote) chance that it could get taken away.

Use the gift card redemptions if you can find them for stores you'd be shopping at anyway. Otherwise just get the cash.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:32 pm

If you cruise, occasionally you can find a decent deal where you can use the $80 in discover cash for $160 off a cabin. I usually keep $200 in there to use, but I've been a discover customer for 18 years, and doubt they'd ever take my money away.

If you're doing anything shady though, I'd cash out.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

wow... thanks you guys. After I take a look of their gift cards, I am very interested. I usually shop at express. I can pay $40 gift card to have 50$ express gift card. I really love it ^_^. I decide not to cash out the check. I wish Discover has 2 quarter for 5% cash back at gas station because I can buy beans at my gas stations ^_^. Is there anyway to apply another Discover card so I am qualify for another 5% cash back at gas?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:34 pm

Y...

http://creditcardforum.com/discover-...-you-have.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.