FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475167-card-s-use-high-spend-large-purchases-consolidated.html)

pgary Jun 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ali380 (Post 33340835)
I have some large (non travel/dining) purchases coming up and looking for a general cash back card option. Do not want to use for travel as I have other cards in the Chase and Amex family that serves that purpose. I also have high total limits between those two with personal/business cards and neither of those cards-Plat, CSR, Ink or hotel/airline cards are good for cash back.

I do not have any Citi cards and was exploring the double cash though I do not think it would provide the limits I need at approval (at least $20k+) without requesting a CLI. The prestige may provide the limit and has some impressive multipliers but still has best value with travel.

The other card I found was called the luxury card issued by Barclays and has 2% cash back at a high annual $1k fee. Being a higher tier card it may provide a larger limit I need. Even with the annual fee it seems I would be ahead with the upcoming spend I have and can easily use the $200 credit. I do not have any Barclays issued cards. There is also a 1.5% back version at a $500 annual fee and $150 credit.

These balances will be paid in full, just looking at options to maximize this spend.

Are there any other non category specific 2% cash back cards I can look at, with higher limits.

I list 7 of them.

Ali380 Jun 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 33341103)
Bear in mind that ThankYou and Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed for cash at $0.01/point.

Thanks, Ideally would want 0.02 I might explore Citi.

Ali380 Jun 20, 2021 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by pgary (Post 33343207)
I list 7 of them.

I only see one, the Citi double cash

pgary Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ali380 (Post 33343355)
I only see one, the Citi double cash

Search on "2%".

Ali380 Jun 21, 2021 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by pgary (Post 33346021)
Search on "2%".

I have and for a while, very few 2% cashback cards that are not category based or part of a reward program. Just the citi double cash and that $1k a year Barclays card.

cerps343 Jun 22, 2021 5:09 am

I have ~$7500 in airline tickets I'll be purchasing and will be buying a new Apple computer soon so looking for a new card to take advantage of these large purchases.

Currently in my wallet:
CSR
CFU
CF
United Explorer
Citi DC
Discover IT
Amex Blue Business Plus

My main expenses are typically food and gas. When I fly (twice a year?), it is usually with United since I live near a hub though occasionally will fly Delta. I've been toying with opening an Amex Platinum and getting the MR points as well as taking advantage of the 10x points on gas for the first six months. But the remainder of the benefits I don't know how much I'll use. Someone had suggested United Quest for the SUB and cancel after the first year. With a lower AF I'm leaning towards the Quest. Anyone have any additional thoughts before I get the Quest?

pushback Jul 6, 2021 2:51 pm

I'm about to drop about $20,000 on a new solar power system. I'm going to put $4K in a new Sapphire card which will kick me back $1K in UR. Any suggestions for the rest of it?

Stgermainparis Jul 7, 2021 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by pushback (Post 33385743)
I'm about to drop about $20,000 on a new solar power system. I'm going to put $4K in a new Sapphire card which will kick me back $1K in UR. Any suggestions for the rest of it?

Citi Double Cash 2x
Amex BBP 2x
Chase Unlimited (Freedom or Ink) 1.5x
Or one of the high spend plat offers for the SUB

Make sure solar contractor doesn’t charge a cc fee.

Dr_wanderlust Jul 7, 2021 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by pushback (Post 33385743)

alliant CU 2.5% (small AF)
Elan Fidelity 3.0% (no AF but need investment qualifications)

I just got a spending promotion from ICBC UnionPay for 4.5% CB on in person purchases (capped at $600; card has small AF)

You could also find a SUB for a new card that suits your needs.

747FC Jul 7, 2021 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 33388641)
alliant CU 2.5% (small AF)
Elan Fidelity 3.0% (no AF but need investment qualifications)

I just got a spending promotion from ICBC UnionPay for 4.5% CB on in person purchases (capped at $600; card has small AF)

You could also find a SUB for a new card that suits your needs.

I don't see Fidelity 3%, even though I am logged into my copious account. What are the investment qualifications? Thanks.

Dr_wanderlust Jul 7, 2021 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 33389544)
I don't see Fidelity 3%, even though I am logged into my copious account. What are the investment qualifications? Thanks.

https://www.fidelity.com/rewards/overview?ofr=1311

2 million in actively managed account

747FC Jul 8, 2021 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 33389607)
https://www.fidelity.com/rewards/overview?ofr=1311

2 million in actively managed account

Thanks for sharing. I self-manage, so not eligible.

Dr Jabadski Jul 17, 2021 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 33334930)
…Don't be scared of business cards. They'll change your life.

:tu: :tu: :tu: Oh yeah, THAT !!! Violent agreement.

For me, most life changing by not affecting 5/24. Also a little helpful in that balances are not reported to credit bureaus on my personal profile so no importance to paying off large balances PRIOR to statement closing so credit bureau doesn’t think I have high utilization.

Don’t be scared of legitimacy of your “business”. I’ve found that business applications, especially for AmEx, are less likely to be declined or pending review and my “business” is much more of a concept than a true business. (“I’m retired but planning to go back to work as an independent contractor so of course I need a business card.” ;) )

BigBonusMiles Dec 5, 2021 11:16 am

Advice for how to manage 600k in spending per year

I recently purchased a business and with my personal spending I am putting 600k on credit cards annually. What is the best use for this spending?

Background:
Family of 4, primarily domestic travel, with one to two international trips a year, no business travel, not too interested in having lots of cards just for the signup bonuses. Generally not looking for business class airfare (to fancy for my 7 & 8 year old). Looking for ways to pay for most of the "trip" (thus the Barclays card). Flexibility is great as long as I'm not missing out on something

Current Status:
Marriott Titanium, United Sliver

Current Spend:
240k Barclays Travel Card (2.1% cash towards travel)
120k United Business Card (1 mile per $)
120k Amex Business Gold (1 point per $, plus some bonus)
120k Marriott Bonvoy Amex (2 points per $, currently 3 until end of year)

How can I leverage this spending over time? Thoughts? Advice? Questions? What would you do?

mia Dec 5, 2021 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by BigBonusMiles (Post 33786447)
....purchased a business and with my personal spending I am putting 600k ....not looking for business class airfare ... Looking for ways to pay for most of the "trip" .

1. Is the United card the Club version which includes a lounge membership?
  2. How much of the spend is business vs personal?
  3. What are the categories of the business spend?
  4. Do you need cards for employees?