Wiki Posts
Search

what's the right credit card for me?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: star alliance, british airways executive club
what's the right credit card for me?

all this CC talk has got me wondering. . .

i've currently got a CIBC aerogold, and am mostly pretty happy with it. earns miles pretty effectively, and has a low-ish annual fee. haven't really had occasion to use the other 'features,' but enjoy declining insurance on car rentals, for instance.

the idea of paying more for the amex to get lounge access sounds nice, but then apparently that lounge access is being scaled back?

briefly:
-i'm a canadian, but am ex-ZRH for the time being.
-also have an RBC rewards card; have swapped to BA once or twice and that worked out well, but barely use it any more.
-i fly *A almost exclusively.
-have a decent annual spend, but this is personal and not business.

thoughts?

thanks as ever,
-mike
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:16 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It's true that the Amex Aeroplan Plat (aka AeroPlat) is having it's access scaled back, and has always had much more limited access (PriorityPass but you still pay $27/visit): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-access.html

The same is not said for Amex Platinum, which continues to have Priority Pass (you + one guest for free), and access to Plaza Premium lounges…. which even if they remove that access, are Priority Pass lounges.

The main differnece a year ago this monthwas that AeroPlat was $499, and Amex Plat was $399… and the price for it in June went up to $699.

Myself, I cancelled my AeroPlat after three weeks and switched to a Amex Plat (for $399 the first year), and never regretted it. As well, Amex Plat gives you the same priority access as AeroPlat at Canadian airports (except check-in lines).
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Altitude E50
I'm a big fan of my Avion Infinite card. It has good car-rental and delay insurance (and just as importantly, Ive been well-treated when making delay claims). I was ex-ORD for a few years and am now based in northern Ireland, so I like the flexibility of using whatever carrier I want. Finally, I like earning status miles/segments with the couple reward trips I make each year.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:45 am
Original Poster

ah - i think i misunderstood the difference between the "Premium Plus" (which only has lounges in a few canadian cities, plus asia - and is mostly useless to me!) versus the Priority Pass, which seems to have good coverage all over. they need new names!

amex plat might be worth the fee for lounge access; how do you find the lounge quality? increasingly i can't count on making straight up star status in any given year, so having the card as fall-back might be nice. . .

-mike
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

but - sorry - i'm just noticing that my spouse/guest can't join me except for a fee?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I have an Amex Plat and an Avion Infinite. Love 'em both, I just wish more vendors took the Amex. It's used mainly for flights, car rentals and hotels
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Lounge access is top notch. There are various ways of lounge access for the Plat Card:

Through Priority Pass - variable quality around the world from excellent to passable, no consistency as you would expect as Priority Pass doesn't operate any of the lounges it just purchases volume admissions.

Oneworld - Awesome, by far the most consistent alliance in the world for product. I always slip in some BA flights when in Europe just to pop in to the lounge despite generally sticking with *. You have access by virtue of yoru automatic gold status with CX.

Premium Plaza - Excellent lounges, not always a spacious or as well located in the terminal as the MLLs, but the food blows the socks of AC offerings, I always head there by choice.

US airline lounge programme - Access to DL/AA lounges when flying with them, and US Air irrespective of airline flown (United Clubs are generally if not all included in PP). Although USA lounges are underwhelming, still better than the concourse an given that even a domestic J sector ticket will not get you in, and many people sign up to the club cards at the price of an Amex, something I struggle to make sense of.....

* Alliance - Not a published benefit, but you can try to get Turkish to match your CX Gold with * Gold for two years! They seems to have a haphazard and inconsistent way of dealing with these requests so YMMV.

For benefits - Plat all the way. Plus you cannot go wrong for a year since you are guaranteed $1000 benefits (60,000 MRs and two $200 travel credits in your first year of membership.

For mileage accrual - Amex Gold earns more than its upmarket Plat sibling since although Plat gets 1.25 points on everything whereas Gold is 1 but double on travel, supermarket, gas, pharmacy. Unlikely that those would register from spend in CHF, except for travel so with a generous travel spend you are better off with Gold for accrual.

One other card that may be useful for you if you are spending in Europe is a Chase card as they have no FX fees which is a saving of 3% on Amex. I use this in Europe. their Marriott card comes first year free, a free night certificate for a cat 1-4 hotel which tends to cover up to their 3* properties, first year free, and 30k points plus silver status. Again, you cannot lose, and although the points accrued are not generous except at Marriott, the 3% FX saving annihilates the rewards on the other cards. Note the insurances are weak on this card so it is best used for day to ay purchases, never travel.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Oh and at least one guest is free in all of the lounge benefits.

PP - +1
OW - +1
US Airlines - +2 or + spouse and unlimited children
Premium Plaza + 1 or + spouse an up to 2 children
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: FT
i have a my RBC card and use up to 30K per year
then to RBC Avion and SPG Amex.

but then again, until last week, i only had 8 AP miles by virtue of laundering them through Esso into my RBC/BA accounts....

judging by the fees for my JFK-HND on AA in F, i might put more of those RBC miles into AA on the 20% bonus....
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iron_mike
but - sorry - i'm just noticing that my spouse/guest can't join me except for a fee?
One guest via Cathay for One world lounges. Also one guest at some of the other lounges incl Plaza.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a more general query about credit cards rather than Air Canada/Aeroplan specifically I'll move it over to the Credit Card Programs forum for further debate.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by markandrew
Lounge access is top notch. There are various ways of lounge access for the Plat Card:

Through Priority Pass - variable quality around the world from excellent to passable, no consistency as you would expect as Priority Pass doesn't operate any of the lounges it just purchases volume admissions.

Oneworld - Awesome, by far the most consistent alliance in the world for product. I always slip in some BA flights when in Europe just to pop in to the lounge despite generally sticking with *. You have access by virtue of yoru automatic gold status with CX.

Premium Plaza - Excellent lounges, not always a spacious or as well located in the terminal as the MLLs, but the food blows the socks of AC offerings, I always head there by choice.

US airline lounge programme - Access to DL/AA lounges when flying with them, and US Air irrespective of airline flown (United Clubs are generally if not all included in PP). Although USA lounges are underwhelming, still better than the concourse an given that even a domestic J sector ticket will not get you in, and many people sign up to the club cards at the price of an Amex, something I struggle to make sense of.....

* Alliance - Not a published benefit, but you can try to get Turkish to match your CX Gold with * Gold for two years! They seems to have a haphazard and inconsistent way of dealing with these requests so YMMV.

For benefits - Plat all the way. Plus you cannot go wrong for a year since you are guaranteed $1000 benefits (60,000 MRs and two $200 travel credits in your first year of membership.

For mileage accrual - Amex Gold earns more than its upmarket Plat sibling since although Plat gets 1.25 points on everything whereas Gold is 1 but double on travel, supermarket, gas, pharmacy. Unlikely that those would register from spend in CHF, except for travel so with a generous travel spend you are better off with Gold for accrual.

One other card that may be useful for you if you are spending in Europe is a Chase card as they have no FX fees which is a saving of 3% on Amex. I use this in Europe. their Marriott card comes first year free, a free night certificate for a cat 1-4 hotel which tends to cover up to their 3* properties, first year free, and 30k points plus silver status. Again, you cannot lose, and although the points accrued are not generous except at Marriott, the 3% FX saving annihilates the rewards on the other cards. Note the insurances are weak on this card so it is best used for day to ay purchases, never travel.
+1. Great summary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.