Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best award card for someone with new credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

My friend applied and was denied for the chase sapphire because he does not have enough of a credit history. His score is excellent but he has no debt, no credit card history, he uses a debit card for everything.

Any good bonuses or airline earning power on a starter credit card?

I told him to try for the barclays arrival or bank of america virgin card cause he has a long standing bank of america checking account.

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:53 pm

Has he obtained copies of his credit report from Equifax, Experian, and Transunion? Some people think they have good credit but they don't because as you mention he has not had credit cards in the past. Others have something negative on their reports that they are not aware of. So the first thing he needs to do is get copies of the reports so he knows exactly what he is starting with. Then maybe get a basic no benefits card or a secured card as the first card to establish a history. After six months of reported revolving credit history he should be able to get cards he wants.

It can also help if someone can make him an AU on one or two of their cards.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:59 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Get local bank card with cosigner/secured
3 months later get discover student
3 months later can get CSP/Citi AA
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:35 am

It might be worth a shot to try one of the Amex charge cards (Gold, Plat). They seem to get approved with lower credit scores, maybe because you can't revolve a balance month to month with them - you have to pay off in full each month. At least if this score data is indicative:

http://milecards.com/6158/credit-sco...ds-fresh-data/
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:02 pm

My daughter is a full-time college student with about $11,000 income from a part-time job, and a single co-signed credit card from our credit union. I'd like her to get a card with some bonus miles, but I was wondering if "it can't hurt to try" applies here -- does it reflect negatively in your credit rating if you get rejected on a credit card application? Since she's young and trying to build credit, I wouldn't want to ding her score unnecessarily.

Thanks,
Os
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Osbaldistone
My daughter is a full-time college student with about $11,000 income from a part-time job, and a single co-signed credit card from our credit union. I'd like her to get a card with some bonus miles, but I was wondering if "it can't hurt to try" applies here -- does it reflect negatively in your credit rating if you get rejected on a credit card application? Since she's young and trying to build credit, I wouldn't want to ding her score unnecessarily.

Thanks,
Os
An inquiry that isn't followed by the open account can be considered a negative factor, but the effect won't last long, maybe a few months. She needs to start trying. Maybe not necessarily with a mile card, though. I think she would have a better chance with a Discover or an Amex charge card as was stated above. Btw, Discover Walmart gives you a monthly access to your true FICO score, so that wouldn't be a "waste" of an application.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Osbaldistone

Thanks,
Os
There are student cards designed for this situation. Like caGALINDO mentioned above, she should go for the discover student card, then maybe wait for six months for some history to report and then go for another card or two that she thinks will be useful.
https://www.discover.com/credit-card...L_CC_STUD_HOME
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:24 am

Thanks everyone for the advice, the Discover Student card sounds like a good first step.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Unless your friend is making a significant amount of money, i would recommend the safe way and get a starter credit card (doesn't have to be secured) and build a bit of history before jumping into the points game.

If not, I would actually recommend some kind of barclays product; assuming your friend has income and really has 0 credit history, they're pretty good with recon calls (refer to creditboards/myfico forums for more info...lots of people with no/poor credit have great success).

Just avoid capital one...even though you will almost always get a card from them, they pull all 3 credit bureaus, limits are crap, and products aren't that great if you have a crappy credit score/no history.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

What do people think of the Citi Forward card for college students? ThankYou points are pretty worthless, but is it a good starter card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.