Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I was always approved 5+ months after my previous card, i was recently denied on the 5 month mark and then my wife got denied on the 6 month mark from the previous app this past weekend.
Nov 2017: Auto-approved 1 month after closing previous card
Aug 9 2018: Auto-declined 2 weeks after closing previous card

Will try again in a few months
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

new restrictive language?

I received and closed 2 or three Barclays Lufthansa cards in the last 5 years or so. I'd like to open a new one again for the 50K or 60K bonus but I'm seeing some restrictive language I don't remember from before:

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program. In addition, you may not be eligible for this offer if, at any time during our relationship with you, we have cause, as determined by us in our sole discretion, to suspect that the account is being obtained or will be used for abusive or gaming activity (such as, but not limited to, obtaining or using the account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/openings).

Is this language new? Is it being enforced? Sounds like not only can you be denied (or not get the sign up bonus) for having had the card before, but they are looking at churners.

thanks
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:38 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Is this language new? Is it being enforced?
Not completely new -- I certainly recall seeing it in May/June -- but (I believe) a little 'firmer' than it used to be. It fits with what we've been reading in this thread and elsewhere these past couple of years: the banks are trying harder to spot and exclude churners, so it probably pays to be a little less aggressive. Better to get two or three approvals a year, with good or great bonus offers, than overdo it and ultimately have fewer successes.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Not completely new -- I certainly recall seeing it in May/June -- but (I believe) a little 'firmer' than it used to be. It fits with what we've been reading in this thread and elsewhere these past couple of years: the banks are trying harder to spot and exclude churners, so it probably pays to be a little less aggressive. Better to get two or three approvals a year, with good or great bonus offers, than overdo it and ultimately have fewer successes.
2 or 3 a year? I'm working very hard at keeping to 6/6, instead of my 8/6 from years past. 2/3 in 12 is a starvation diet for miles and points folks. At 6/6 I'm having no problem with getting approvals for cards that don't have 5/24 or 1/24 TCs.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
I have the $79 Annual fee Lufthansa card. I was recently charged by annual fee and like the card for preserving my LH miles, but otherwise, don't use it much. I recently contacted Barclay's and it sounds like there is possibly an option to downgrade to the no annual fee. If I do drop down to that card and continue to use it monthly, can I preserve my Miles (and More) from expiring? Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:41 am

60000 offer?

Has anyone used the link in the Wiki for 60000 miles? I'm wondering if it's still working. Apparently a "zombie link"?

thanks
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Has anyone used the link in the Wiki for 60000 miles? I'm wondering if it's still working. Apparently a "zombie link"?

thanks
I applied through it and was denied because I had this card and closed it less than 24 months ago. This seems to be a new restriction, I used to churn this card every 6 months like clockwork. Thus I believe the link works.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:15 am

Churn is dead (at least for now)

After several repeated attempts at continuing to churn the LH M&M card I conclude this one is effectively dead. Closed the account last May, applied several times, month apart, with 50 / 60K links. Got denied every time, the letter states "our records show you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product". Called in every time, saying that the old LH M&M account is closed, they say that's right, but it needs to have been closed for 24 months, then you can apply again. Effectively, they are now enforcing the same rules as for the Aviator card for the LH M&M card. Which sucks, because there are no other LH M&M earning cards with a bonus.

Another one bites the dust ...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by wyogold
After several repeated attempts at continuing to churn the LH M&M card I conclude this one is effectively dead. Closed the account last May, applied several times, month apart, with 50 / 60K links. Got denied every time, the letter states "our records show you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product". Called in every time, saying that the old LH M&M account is closed, they say that's right, but it needs to have been closed for 24 months, then you can apply again. Effectively, they are now enforcing the same rules as for the Aviator card for the LH M&M card. Which sucks, because there are no other LH M&M earning cards with a bonus.

is the account still showing online?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by blitzen

is the account still showing online?
No, it lasts about 6 months after closure, then disappears. At first I thought I had to wait for it to disappear, but that didn't make a difference. It still is in Barclay's records, obviously.

Of course, I assume YMMV, and I'm highly interested in successes ...
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold

this is pretty sad... abt to try again since i closed mine a few months ago.

i received the same letter with that same language on Aviator previously.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
this is pretty sad... abt to try again since i closed mine a few months ago.

i received the same letter with that same language on Aviator previously.
Let me know how it goes for you. The more DPs the merrier
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Have your wife apply for it,

I applied about 6 months ago, and had it 3 years ago, the first time,, also picked up 2 nd Avator Card,

Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Have your wife apply for it,

I applied about 6 months ago, and had it 3 years ago, the first time,, also picked up 2 nd Avator Card,
P2 is in the same boat ...

​​​​ I'm disappointed, I didn't think this one was gonna be shut down as it's not very popular
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Today I got an alert from Award Wallet that in February no miles were reported from Barclays and that my miles are now at risk to expire. Getting a slight heart attack I checked the iPhone App and while February showed up it showed as Zero miles. Next the desktop and there Feb showed the app 250 miles earned. Checking the numbers it looks as if Desktop Feb (lines up with Barclay Bill) shows in the mobile app as January , Jan as Dec etc.
Did anyone run into a similar situation? Looks as if AwardWallet and the Mobile App use the same info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.