Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:05 am

Is this a card for which someone could get a referral bonus? I am going to apply but wanted to see if there's a fellow FTer that could benefit.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Is this a card for which someone could get a referral bonus? I am going to apply but wanted to see if there's a fellow FTer that could benefit.
I haven't seen a referral for a US M&M card, if you are planning on applying for the 50k card i would just go for it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:04 am

i applied on 7/15 went pending/under review, still pending after 8 days, they are taking a long time to review the application, i don't remember it ever taking this long.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Does anyone bother downgrading this card before reapplying for it? Or do you just straight out cancel? What would be your downgrade options then?

Not sure if downgrade is a good idea if you already owned a couple of cards with Barclay, since they are not like Citi which gives you infinite number of cards
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Does anyone bother downgrading this card before reapplying for it? Or do you just straight out cancel? What would be your downgrade options then?

Not sure if downgrade is a good idea if you already owned a couple of cards with Barclay, since they are not like Citi which gives you infinite number of cards
I typically cancel the card a couple of months before applying.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I typically cancel the card a couple of months before applying.
Thanks - did you bother to call? or just cancel via SM without issues?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:03 pm

Thanks - did you bother to call? or just cancel via SM without issues?
I cancel through SM, they even have a cancellation field in the subject field for the SM, so it makes it super easy to do.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Lufthansa, United, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Well, that's one theory. Another possibility is that once you have a single billing period where you didn't make a charge, all those miles, and ones you get from that card afterwards, are set to expire 36 months after being earned. If you get another card, the use it every month policy will apply only to the miles earned on the new card.

I really don't think we have any where near enough data points on this to even speculate.

Why not call Miles and More and find out what they say the policy is. Which might still not be correct, but is more likely to be correct than our various theories here.

Or, you know, use those miles within 36 months of when you got the bonus. Otherwise you risk LH doing a devaluation, and from what I've seen award availability is steadily decreasing.

Earn em and burn em is the best policy.
I think it very cumbersome to guess what is the policy on expiring miles, so I want to add my experience on what happened to my expiring miles and the usage of the card:

Background: I signed up for the Barclays M&M card more than 3 years ago in the US. I started accumulating miles but never used them up until now. My balance this summer is around 180,000 miles. I was saving them for transatlantic first class travel. For some unforeseen circumstances, I wasn't able to travel last year and half of the year before that. Furthermore, I used other credit cards for other reasons and did NOT use this card on a monthly basis from around a year and a half ago up until May of this year.

I was aware of the expiring miles clause when the card is not used, so I thought what I would do is, once the first batch of miles would come close to expiration (say 2 or 3 months before), I would use the card and if the notice of expiration doesn't go away, I would redeem the miles to later change the flight. ( I can't travel right now).

2 months before the 3rd year anniversary, my miles and more account stated that around 28,000 or so miles would expire, which is what I thought was the initial bonus of miles plus expenditure on the first month on the card. I used the card on that month and made sure that the transactions posted before the end of the month.

After the end of the month and statement was issued, the notice on my miles and more account disappeared, that was almost 3 months ago. I have been using the card every month since then, and I have no notices that any of my miles will expire and I still have 180,000 miles.

I can deduce this: as far as I know, you can have miles up to 2 years 11 months without using the card and the miles won't expire. On the 12th month of the 3rd year, the transaction has to post as a purchase and if the statement includes it, your miles won't expire. There is no need to have a single transaction every month on the 36 month period.

Now, having said all of that, it really makes no sense to hang on to this card that long. Redeeming miles and traveling with them is NOT my priority in life, but if it was, I would redeem them as soon as I could. I went through one devaluation already, and the current card offers business lounge passes for the same annual fee and there is no way to upgrade my old card.

The way barclays has set this card up, is to get the bonus, and cancel it at least once when a new card comes around.

Last edited by MrShyGuy; Jul 25, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MrShyGuy
I think it very cumbersome to guess what is the policy on expiring miles, so I want to add my experience on what happened to my expiring miles and the usage of the card:

Background: I signed up for the Barclays M&M card more than 3 years ago in the US. I started accumulating miles but never used them up until know. My balance this summer is around 180,000 miles. I was saving them for transatlantic first class travel. For some unforeseen circumstances, I wasn't able to travel last year and half of the year before that. Furthermore, I used other credit cards for other reasons and did NOT use this card on a monthly basis from around a year and a half ago up until May of this year.

I was aware of the expiring miles clause when the card is not used, so I thought what I would do is, once the first batch of miles would come close to expiration (say 2 or 3 months before), I would use the card and if the notice of expiration doesn't go away, I would redeem the miles to later change the flight. ( I can't travel right now).

2 months before the 3rd year anniversary, my miles and more account stated that around 28,000 or so miles would expire, which is what I thought was the initial bonus of miles plus expenditure on the first month on the card. I used the card on that month and made sure that the transactions posted before the end of the month.

After the end of the month and statement was issued, the notice on my miles and more account disappeared, that was almost 3 months ago. I have been using the card every month since then, and I have no notices that any of my miles will expire and I still have 180,000 miles.

I can deduce this: as far as I know, you can have miles up to 2 years 11 months without using the card and the miles won't expire. On the 12th month of the 3rd year, the transaction has to post as a purchase and if the statement includes it, your miles won't expire. There is no need to have a single transaction every month on the 36 month period.

Now, having said all of that, it really makes no sense to hang on to this card that long. Redeeming miles and traveling with them is NOT my priority in life, but if it was, I would redeem them as soon as I could. I went through one devaluation already, and the current card offers business lounge passes for the same annual fee and there is no way to upgrade my old card.

The way barclays has set this card up, is to get the bonus, and cancel it at least once when a new card comes around.
This is a very good DP. Thanks for sharing. Your experience corresponds to what dukerau was saying in post #513

Now, our 'fate' is basically tied on Barclays approving us again for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc LH card to keep our miles alive. This is probably more relevant for people who have more points than time to travel.

I guess I can go ahead and cancel my LH card soon in hopes that I will score another 50K deal in 2-3 months down the road
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:23 am

i applied on 7/15 went pending/under review, still pending after 8 days, they are taking a long time to review the application, i don't remember it ever taking this long.
I received an email today with approval of this application it took 13 days for the application to get approved, a little longer than expected but i will take it anytime
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:37 pm

I haven't seen a referral for a US M&M card, if you are planning on applying for the 50k card i would just go for it.
Cheers, just wanted to check. Got the card after a call to the reconsideration line (instant decision: pending) and a swap of credit limit from my Arrival + card.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:38 pm

I received an email today with approval of this application it took 13 days for the application to get approved, a little longer than expected but i will take it anytime
I am getting myself ready to that stage

When was your last Barclay app? Did you allow 6 months between apps?

I wasnt successful when I applied for a second Barclay cc < 6 months previously.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

I am getting myself ready to that stage

When was your last Barclay app? Did you allow 6 months between apps?

I wasnt successful when I applied for a second Barclay cc < 6 months previously.
My last app was early january for the Aviator card.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Cheers, just wanted to check. Got the card after a call to the reconsideration line (instant decision: pending) and a swap of credit limit from my Arrival + card.
I always lower my existing cards limit to free up any credit for future applications, typically i lower my limits to 2K and its been working so far.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:37 pm

I always lower my existing cards limit to free up any credit for future applications, typically i lower my limits to 2K and its been working so far.
Thanks for the tip. I also lowered the CL for my Barclay M&M card yesterday to $500. How soon after lowering do you cancel your card? Thinking of canceling mine about 10 days from now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.