Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by georob
Still learning, but I do like United/Southwest points a lot as they are very easy to use and often great value.
Those are far better programs for beginners. The LH card is more for experts, who want to go Biz, or better yet First, between US-Europe-US. And even then you have to be willing to pay the surcharges.

DW and I are on our second LH cards, and looking forward to once again hanging out in the LH FC Terminal. Undeniably one of the top 5 FC Lounges in the world. Flying FC with LH is usually good too, but it's not in the same class as Singapore Suites.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rminal-access/
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by muji
Yes.
Make a note of the flight numbers of the flights you found in your search
to make things easier for the Lufthansa agent.
That's great! I have been doing the research for a while but I guess my research was not good. Thanks again to you and everybody here!!!:-:
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MissMiles
most of the value comes from redeeming business ...i redeemed 52,500 + $319 in taxes
for a business class flight from Athens to NYC...that ticket was probably worth $7,000
Was this a roundtrip? If so, the $319 in taxes/fees is not bad at all.
For a one-way flight $319 would be high, but still worth it to fly in business class.
A similar BA roundtrip business award would be around $1,100 in taxes/fees/surcharges.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: All of them
That's great! I have been doing the research for a while but I guess my research was not good. Thanks again to you and everybody here!!!:-:
You may want to read Travel is Free or Milevalue blogs, search for "Lufthansa" and you'll find their breakdown of which Star alliance mileage currency is best for which routes.

Lufthansa miles end up being competitive for Asia and some parts of South America, for the rest they're average and you have to watch out for airline surcharges (not airport/country taxes..those are charged by everyone)

And of course, can't book Singapore's flat business or first with them, just like with any other Star alliance currency.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
And of course, can't book Singapore's flat business or first with them, just like with any other Star alliance currency.
Of course you can, LH & SQ have award bilaterals.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:42 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't know about LH, but lots of reports in UA forum that SQ simply DOES NOT release Suites for redemption for Mileage Plus. Lie flat Biz also very hard to come by according to many reports.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't know about LH, but lots of reports in UA forum that SQ simply DOES NOT release Suites for redemption for Mileage Plus. Lie flat Biz also very hard to come by according to many reports.
Correct - very difficult, almost impossible to see SQ biz using UA awards. (BOM-SIN-BOM) They almost always route on TG for my routings.

Further, if you want slightly better options on SQ, you can use Avianca miles - but those are mostly restricted to SQ day flights (sloped biz) and *rarely* SQ F.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by EmailKid
UA MP is blocked by many FFP partners from redemption, LH is not.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:24 am

Didn't know that...never really tried, but good to know. I thought SQ blocks all their premium cabins to all SA partners, except crappy recline business class. Is that not correct anymore?

Do they only have this agreement for SQ flights to/from Europe, or any flights? I'd mostly be interested in Asia-US.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
UA MP is blocked by many FFP partners from redemption, LH is not.
Ya, suppose that makes sense.

Flew a few intra Europe flights, and you really can't compare service on LH with UA. Even average LH FA is more attentive then best UA has to offer, and even older planes are immaculate.

Sounds like reciprocity / equality with LH and SQ, UA not so much
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I thought these bilaterals were more for expanded premium award availability for LH and SQ elites, since economy is pretty much available to most FFP's. For instance Hon Circles could have access to SQ's A380 business awards and PPS Solitaires could have access to LH/Swiss business awards available only to LH Elites.

Last edited by eknock007; Jul 8, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:43 pm

Before both LH & SQ migrated to Altea Inventory Management, LH/M&M could longsell SQ segments in C/F and received instant confirmation. Nowadays SQ and LH have inserted settings that allow SQ KF & LH M&M agents inventory straight away when searching for C/F awards.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:05 pm

Before both LH & SQ migrated to Altea Inventory Management, LH/M&M could longsell SQ segments in C/F and received instant confirmation. Nowadays SQ and LH have inserted settings that allow SQ KF & LH M&M agents inventory straight away when searching for C/F awards.

Can anyone please confirm successful booking of new SQ business (or first) using LH miles? I can't seem to find confirmation online on any blogs or the LH ft forum.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:31 pm

Gentlemen, I have another question. If I find a ticket from USA to Europe on United Airlines for 30K + 40 bucks (one way) - can I call Lufthansa to match it?
Thanks again!

P.S. I just noticed American airline charges big carrier surcharge for flights from USA to Europe.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Gentlemen, I have another question. If I find a ticket from USA to Europe on United Airlines for 30K + 40 bucks (one way) - can I call Lufthansa to match it?
Thanks again!
No. LH will charge their pricing, which is the same 30k miles one way. LH passes along carrier surcharges, while United does not. That's why the difference in the cash cost, and LH won't "match" United. Note that there are no fuel surcharges (thus nothing for LH to charge) on United flights.

P.S. I just noticed American airline charges big carrier surcharge for flights from USA to Europe.
That would be a BA flight. AA doesn't charge big carrier surcharges, but they do pass them along. So BA has them (very high) as does IB (moderate). AA miles can be used on AA, Airberlin, and Finnair flights to Europe without any carrier surcharges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.