Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by express3
Seriously???? The only reason I applied for a 2nd card was to keep the first set of points from expiring!
I actually called Miles and More prior to applying to get more information about how miles expire. The representative told me the only way to keep those miles expiring (the ones i got from card#1) was to A) open a cc and use it every month. B) something along the lines of booking a ticket using points and then cancelling it by paying a small fee-which would extend the life of the miles by a few months.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A will work, provided you keep a certain activity level on the M&M credit card. B doesn't work, the redeposited miles expire at the end of the quarter.
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Re-read your post, and I doubt you correctly understood the CSR, or they didn't explain it correctly. The only way to keep miles from expiring is to use the card every billing period. I really doubt that getting another card will keep the miles from the first card from expiring. Using the new card every billing period will keep the miles from the NEW card from expiring, not the miles from the first card. I'd like your explanation to be correct, but I don't think it is...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No, your entire balance with M&M stays alive.
Can anyone confirm in practice that option A) use cc every month would in fact keep the entire M&M balance alive (even miles from older cc's)? TIA
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:56 pm

What is the use of Lufthansa points? I found it almost useless - pay 250 surcharge plus 30K mile for one way ticket to Europe? Worst point ever!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Originally Posted by georob
What is the use of Lufthansa points? I found it almost useless - pay 250 surcharge plus 30K mile for one way ticket to Europe? Worst point ever!
most of the value comes from redeeming business or first class. for example, i redeemed 52,500 + $319 in taxes for a business class flight from Athens to NYC (with a connection in Frankfurt). I was flying in August, which is peak season, so that ticket was probably worth $7,000, so to me that's worth it. They are both pretty long flights, especially the Frankfurt - NYC leg (~8 hours), so that's a great redemption for me.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You either haven't done enough research, or your destinations/class of service don't justify the points.

This card works well for me and I'm planning my 2nd Eurotrip next year thanks to it.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:36 pm

Advance access to J/F space...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:50 am

Excellent 1st post, I agree with you, i think this card is the worst for anyone who doesn't understand the value of travel in J to Europe, I think you are better off getting a different card.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: All of them
They can be useful for Asia flights, or within the Americas, where fuel surcharges are usually not as rapacious.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
They can be useful for Asia flights, or within the Americas, where fuel surcharges are usually not as rapacious.
I tried many options - from USA to Europe big surcharge, USA to Central/south american not available, and USA to Asia - I get the following message no matter which date I put on:

"Unfortunately we could not find any suitable fares for your chosen flights and/or classes of travel. Please try your search again and/or choose alternative flights or travel days or another class of travel. Please also note, where applicable, the limited sales period for special offers. Our Service Center will also be happy to help you. (5685 - 2201)"

Maybe I should try to search for business class instead? What did I miss here?

Originally Posted by frudd38
What's that?

Originally Posted by chongl
You either haven't done enough research, or your destinations/class of service don't justify the points.

This card works well for me and I'm planning my 2nd Eurotrip next year thanks to it.
No big surcharge for USA to Europe?

I even tried Europe to Europe such as Rome to Athens, very expensive surcharge not even in peak season

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm Reason: Multiquote - back to back to back posts
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
No big surcharge for USA to Europe?

I even tried Europe to Europe such as Rome to Athens, very expensive surcharge not even in peak season
I'm not sure about intra-european flights but there is great value in biz or first FROM europe TO the US. You may have to be flexible with dates and sometimes seats open up a few weeks before, sometimes they open way in advance. I agree that paying 30k miles + $200 in taxes for an economy ticket isn't the greatest of redemptions if the flight costs $600 (or whatever) because that's only a $0.013/CPM. However, paying 52.5k miles + $300 in taxes for a business class ticket that costs $5,000 is a great value ($0.09/CPM).

CPM is cost per mile, so you take the net cost of the flight (after taxes on the award) and divide by the number of miles. The higher the CPM the better, which happens on biz and first class flights bc of their cost.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by MissMiles
I'm not sure about intra-european flights but there is great value in biz or first FROM europe TO the US. You may have to be flexible with dates and sometimes seats open up a few weeks before, sometimes they open way in advance. I agree that paying 30k miles + $200 in taxes for an economy ticket isn't the greatest of redemptions if the flight costs $600 (or whatever) because that's only a $0.013/CPM. However, paying 52.5k miles + $300 in taxes for a business class ticket that costs $5,000 is a great value ($0.09/CPM).

CPM is cost per mile, so you take the net cost of the flight (after taxes on the award) and divide by the number of miles. The higher the CPM the better, which happens on biz and first class flights bc of their cost.
Thanks for the explanation!
Still learning, but I do like United/Southwest points a lot as they are very easy to use and often great value.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:37 am

OP you need to google "best use of Lufthansa miles".. many posts about it and clearly conveyed.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: All of them
I tried many options - from USA to Europe big surcharge, USA to Central/south american not available, and USA to Asia - I get the following message no matter which date I put on:

"Unfortunately we could not find any suitable fares for your chosen flights and/or classes of travel. Please try your search again and/or choose alternative flights or travel days or another class of travel. Please also note, where applicable, the limited sales period for special offers. Our Service Center will also be happy to help you. (5685 - 2201)"

Maybe I should try to search for business class instead? What did I miss here?

Lufthansa's website only searches their own award inventory, or their affiliate airlines (swiss and a few others). For flights within Americas, you have to search ANA or United website for flights on United and other Star Alliance carriers, then call Lufthansa to book.

For example, just randomly searched IAH to HKG and discovered that for business class tickets none of the Star alliance carriers seem to have a surcharge, or at least it was very tiny. You could use Lufthansa miles to book those if there's space.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Jul 7, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
What's that?
At the bottom of each Flyertalk page there is a link to Glossary.
In the Glossary it states that J and F indicate "Booking class - use varies depending upon airline".

Generally, however, J means business class;
F means first class; Y means economy.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Lufthansa's website only searches their own award inventory, or their affiliate airlines (swiss and a few others). For flights within Americas, you have to search ANA or United website for flights on United and other Star Alliance carriers, then call Lufthansa to book.

For example, just randomly searched IAH to HKG and discovered that for business class tickets none of the Star alliance carriers seem to have a surcharge, or at least it was very tiny. You could use Lufthansa miles to book those if there's space.
Wow that is good to know. So if I found DENVER to BEIJING, for example, at UNITED website award travel and I can call Lufthansa to match?

Thanks to you and Muji for the explanations!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:30 am

Wow that is good to know. So if I found DENVER to BEIJING, for example, at UNITED website award travel and I can call Lufthansa to match?
Yes.
Make a note of the flight numbers of the flights you found in your search
to make things easier for the Lufthansa agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.