Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Churnable, got it. I'm guessing every 6 months like the US air card.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
What's the verdict on churning this card? Can you apply for this like we used to with US Air cards once every six months?
I have churned it numerous times but only after closing the prior card, in one case a week before hand. Have never tried churning it while having another LH card open.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eknock007
I have churned it numerous times but only after closing the prior card, in one case a week before hand. Have never tried churning it while having another LH card open.
Is 3 months doable? With the US air you couldn't do every three months even if the previous card is closed.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:38 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Is 3 months doable?
I would be extremely surprised if anyone managed less than six months. I also see little point in trying, given that 50,000 miles are typically not offered four times a year.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:07 am

What's the verdict on churning this card? Can you apply for this like we used to with US Air cards once every six months?
IDK either way about 6 months. DW and I have our second cards open, but we canceled our first ones and waited a few months before applying for the second.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:12 am

Is 3 months doable? With the US air you couldn't do every three months even if the previous card is closed.
I've read, (not sure if it's true though), that Barclays tends to limit apps from them to somewhere between one every 6 months, to one a year. Apparently a YMMV situation. 3 months doesn't seem doable, but I doubt there are enough data points to know for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
You know I have never tried doing a new app every 3 months. I think Barclays would have a issue with this since they like to see accounts age a little and used frequently.

Usually I would close the account before the one year mark. The earliest I closed an account was 10 months after opening it and then I applied a month later and got approved. The time I applied a week later, I had had the previous account open for about 11 and half months. I made it a point to charge frequently on these accounts.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eknock007
You know I have never tried doing a new app every 3 months. I think Barclays would have a issue with this since they like to see accounts age a little and used frequently.

Usually I would close the account before the one year mark. The earliest I closed an account was 10 months after opening it and then I applied a month later and got approved. The time I applied a week later, I had had the previous account open for about 11 and half months. I made it a point to charge frequently on these accounts.
Before with my US card I'd apply every three months and every other one would get denied. It didn't matter because Barclay is the only one who pulls TU and my score can easily brush off the punishment. Maybe I'll give it a try wih this card too.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:43 pm

Before with my US card I'd apply every three months and every other one would get denied. It didn't matter because Barclay is the only one who pulls TU and my score can easily brush off the punishment. Maybe I'll give it a try wih this card too.
I did try on the 3 months + few days and it got denied when i had my previous card still open. i did 4.5 months for my wife and her previous card was 1 + month closed and it got approved. YMMV
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I did try on the 3 months + few days and it got denied when i had my previous card still open. i did 4.5 months for my wife and her previous card was 1 + month closed and it got approved. YMMV
Personally IDK, but I've read on FT that Barclays will only approve one or sometimes two cards a year. Meaning you'd need to wait at least 6 months between apps. But the above post seems to make it more flexible. Probably a YMMV thing though...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirLokita
I'd love to pick up the 50K bonus, but I've already got a card. However--it's the World card.

Are the World and World Elite two distinct products from Barclaycards' perspective? I'm guessing no...
A data point on this:

I was told by Customer Service that they are different products (both via the phone and via secure message), applying for the card failed however because I supposedly already have it (here, conveniently considered the same product via reconsideration hotline; they tried but were unable to approve it because of it).

Anybody knows if they offer a bonus to upgrade the card (I received an offer from them to just upgrade the card, but w/o mentioning any bonus)? My annual fee is due soon, which I'd rather not pay (cancel), but I'm also still holding on to a lot of LH miles that I'd rather not lose.

Ideas are appreciated! :-)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by bookeew
Anybody knows if they offer a bonus to upgrade the card (I received an offer from them to just upgrade the card, but w/o mentioning any bonus)?
I got the offer as well, expiring today, 30 April 2016, annual fee for the Elite card is $89.00.

Fail to sight any real differences after a quick review...

Any feedback on this?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:10 am

My annual fee is due soon, which I'd rather not pay (cancel), but I'm also still holding on to a lot of LH miles that I'd rather not lose.
Not quite sure what your situation is here. If you are thinking you'd lose your miles just because you cancel the card, no worries, the miles are in your LH account, not attached to the card in any way. Just don't use your card in the midst of a billing cycle, as the miles from that spend won't post if the card has been canceled first.

But if you have very carefully used your card every single billing period, then renewing it, and again using it every single billing period, means your miles won't expire 3 years after you acquired them. But then again, do you really want to keep those miles more than 3 years?

With program devaluations happening all around us, , and reduced availability of awards being a continual process seemingly everywhere, I'd say use those miles as soon as possible. Earn em and burn em, baby, earn em and burn em.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
But if you have very carefully used your card every single billing period, then renewing it, and again using it every single billing period, means your miles won't expire 3 years after you acquired them. But then again, do you really want to keep those miles more than 3 years?
I have a significant amount of Lufthansa Miles from prior travel and switching between cards in two countries to not have the miles expire and get the signup bonus (but b/c of a mishap they overlap right now, hence I can't continue it). A lot of those miles will be used for First travel end of this year, but I haven't nailed down the specifics for that travel yet. Looks like I might need to eat up the annual fee.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:53 am

I have a significant amount of Lufthansa Miles from prior travel and switching between cards in two countries to not have the miles expire and get the signup bonus (but b/c of a mishap they overlap right now, hence I can't continue it). A lot of those miles will be used for First travel end of this year, but I haven't nailed down the specifics for that travel yet. Looks like I might need to eat up the annual fee.
Silly me, my focus is so stuck on sign up bonuses and MS, I tend to forget that some people actually buy tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.