Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old May 7, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jethro
Surprised no one is talking more about the monthly use aspect? I know it is listed in the T&C, but is this really the way it works? Can Barclays take back miles already deposited in to the Miles & More account?
Barclay's does not take back, the miles expire in the M&M account. I see the card as an extended warranty. It is useless during the 1st 3 years but then it becomes valuable. However, you need to be paying the $79 fee yearly from day 1 for there to be value after year 3. That is where the expense comes in.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
Barclay's does not take back, the miles expire in the M&M account. I see the card as an extended warranty. It is useless during the 1st 3 years but then it becomes valuable. However, you need to be paying the $79 fee yearly from day 1 for there to be value after year 3. That is where the expense comes in.
Gotcha.........that makes sense. Basically the monthly purchase requirement doesn't come into play until the 36 month shelf life has expired. I assume each mile earned on the card has its own expiration date at 3 yrs, and the card use only extends those miles by an additional 30 days. Is this correct?...........Thanks
Old May 7, 2013, 7:16 am
Suspended

about as bad as they do now.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Anyone else meet with failure on the $2500 app. link?

Yes, I completed the non affiliate link with the $2500 spend and was told the offer was expired and I have to complete the link with the $5000 spend. I did, and was approved on the phone immediately afterwards.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jethro
Gotcha.........that makes sense. Basically the monthly purchase requirement doesn't come into play until the 36 month shelf life has expired. I assume each mile earned on the card has its own expiration date at 3 yrs, and the card use only extends those miles by an additional 30 days. Is this correct?...........Thanks
I think by having the card you get the opportunity to have unlimited 30 day extensions. I am by no means an expert. I think we need the M&M experts to weigh in on this.

Another twist is the possibility of canceling the card after a year then getting it again before the 3 year period from when the original card's miles posted. I have no clue if this is a good strategy and there is also the possibility of getting denied the card then.

I am just throwing out scenarios so the experts can weigh in. The program is new to me so take them with that disclaimer.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
I think by having the card you get the opportunity to have unlimited 30 day extensions. I am by no means an expert. I think we need the M&M experts to weigh in on this.

Another twist is the possibility of canceling the card after a year then getting it again before the 3 year period from when the original card's miles posted. I have no clue if this is a good strategy and there is also the possibility of getting denied the card then.

I am just throwing out scenarios so the experts can weigh in. The program is new to me so take them with that disclaimer.
Agree..........I had also thought of getting the 2nd card down the road. Like you said, don't know if is a sound strategy either. I believe you could get an additional card, but you may be without a sign-up bonus, thus not making much sense. Hopefully a M&M expert will be able to give us better direction.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AS MVP
The comments earlier in this thread (someone complaining about changes in the BA program after they worked to get 100K Avios) illustrate, as always, that earning points for some time years down the road is a gamble at best. Programs can be completely shut down with 6 months notice, devalued with little or no notice, award availability can disappear, etc.
Spending money for points you plan to not use for more than 36 months is nuts! Get the card, get the miles, book a trip, rinse and repeat as needed.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:13 am

I can also confirm that my application through the $2,500 link was rejected because it is an expired offer. I called the reconsideration line to confirm. At least there was no pull.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I thought the M&M policy was that all miles would expire in 3 years regardless of activity
Old May 7, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Get the card, get the miles, book a trip, rinse and repeat as needed.
Agree 100%
Old May 7, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by solstys
I can also confirm that my application through the $2,500 link was rejected because it is an expired offer. I called the reconsideration line to confirm. At least there was no pull.
Same here. Got auto-declined and when I called in they told me exactly that.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:50 pm

Just last week, I applied for the Barclay arrival as part of a churn( 4 other cards too), you guys think I can still get approved for this one? Would Barclays deny a 2nd card so quickly?
Old May 7, 2013, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gv111
That is right. If u are unable to use the miles, u can always apply for a new card and get new life for the miles .
Thanks. I'm guessing most people here would use those 50K miles well before 36 months. United's award availability has been pretty good in my experience.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Nevermind.

Last edited by pgary; May 7, 2013 at 6:07 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
So very tempting to sign up for this x2 with my wife. Hmmm.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.