Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old May 6, 2013, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Reading the various bloggers regurgitating the offer its curious to see that it all rotates around getting the 50k, spending them and closing the account
Old May 6, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tassojunior
M&M miles expire at the end of 36 months period even if there is account activity.

Holding the card is the only way to keep them from expiring so long as you make one purchase on the card every month. Miss a month and they're dead immediately.

Some people have contacted LH and gotten their expired miles re-instated if it was because of this glitch.

Plan to use the miles within 36 months !
And don't forget you'll be paying the annual fees each year, as you evaluate the merits of the program.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MYRflyer
Yea, paying annual fee for (4) Roundtrip Domestic flights on AA metal with no YQ what a terrible thing
It's United and not AA, and you won't get 4 -- either 2 in Y or 1.5 in J (if it actually works), but yes, it's certainly worth the annual fee.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
It's United and not AA, and you won't get 4 -- either 2 in Y or 1.5 in J (if it actually works), but yes, it's certainly worth the annual fee.
The AA reference was in response to a comment on the BA card and it's "hefty" fee.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by mnscout
My comment was in reference to biggestbopper on the Chase BA 100k CC yrs ago.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
With the Barclays US Air & NFL card we have seen that if you do not use the card, within a couple months Barclays will send a spending challenge your way, for example spend 750 per month for three straight months = 15,000 bonus miles

If the same holds true for this Lufthansa Mastercard, after minimum spends you would have enough miles for (2) United First Class Saver redemptions within the USA. Pretty sweet for $79 Fee

Yes the miles will expire after 36 months, BUT these would make for great domestic travel, being that most of us save our miles for international awards.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MYRflyer
My comment was in reference to biggestbopper on the Chase BA 100k CC yrs ago.
Oh, sorry.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by srdshelly
And don't forget you'll be paying the annual fees each year, as you evaluate the merits of the program.
Assuming one intends to use the miles within 36 months, there would be no need to renew the card, right?
Old May 6, 2013, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by habsben
There's another offer for this card out there, with a lower spending requirement ($2500 in 3 months):

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...13&legacy=true

However, that one (unlike the new one) looks like it does have the lower signup bonus for the Platinum card, if you're approved for that one.
This links works however Barclays is not processing the application on the pretext that the offer is expired. Best to apply for the 5 K spend offer.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
Assuming one intends to use the miles within 36 months, there would be no need to renew the card, right?
That is right. If u are unable to use the miles, u can always apply for a new card and get new life for the miles .
Old May 6, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by habsben
There's another offer for this card out there, with a lower spending requirement ($2500 in 3 months):

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...13&legacy=true

However, that one (unlike the new one) looks like it does have the lower signup bonus for the Platinum card, if you're approved for that one.
I edited the Title to add the $2.5K spend option pointed out in post above. If your credit is good you 'should' get the 50K World card. Iffy credit may drop you into the poor Platinum card offer.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
I edited the Title to add the $2.5K spend option pointed out in post above. If your credit is good you 'should' get the 50K World card. Iffy credit may drop you into the poor Platinum card offer.
As indicated earlier, Barclays is not processing the applications submitted with $2.5 K spend requirement. I did it today and it is just a waste of time. Did the $5 K offer and was approved with a simple phone call.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gv111
As indicated earlier, Barclays is not processing the applications submitted with $2.5 K spend requirement. I did it today and it is just a waste of time. Did the $5 K offer and was approved with a simple phone call.

Did not see that. Thanks! Guess we'll have fatten our favorite blogger or whoever else has an affiliate link.

There is a big discussion of this on View from the Wing. Anyone else meet with failure on the $2500 app. link?

Last edited by philemer; May 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 5:33 am

I am still on the fence about this. Check the chart below to see if this is correct.

I probably will use the miles in 3 years but you have to decide now if you want to hedge them. The cost of extending the miles can get a little high. Paying the annual fee the 1st 3 years provides no benefit.

For example, say you get the miles on 6/1/13.

Miles expire on 6/1/16 but here are the costs if you want to extend them. I calculated it at $395 to get 1 more year. Kind of like an extended warranty.

Get card on 6/1/13, pay $79, total spend $79, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/14, pay another $79, total spend $158, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/15, pay another $79, total spend $237, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/16, pay another $79, total spend $316, miles expire 6/1/16
  • Keep using card monthly, miles expire when card is not used
  • 6/1/17, pay another $79, total spend $395, miles expire when card is not used

Do I have this right? Still $400 for 3 one way US FC flights is a good deal, not amazing by FT standards, but good.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
I am still on the fence about this. Check the chart below to see if this is correct.

I probably will use the miles in 3 years but you have to decide now if you want to hedge them. The cost of extending the miles can get a little high. Paying the annual fee the 1st 3 years provides no benefit.

For example, say you get the miles on 6/1/13.

Miles expire on 6/1/16 but here are the costs if you want to extend them. I calculated it at $395 to get 1 more year. Kind of like an extended warranty.

Get card on 6/1/13, pay $79, total spend $79, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/14, pay another $79, total spend $158, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/15, pay another $79, total spend $237, miles expire 6/1/16
  • 6/1/16, pay another $79, total spend $316, miles expire 6/1/16
  • Keep using card monthly, miles expire when card is not used
  • 6/1/17, pay another $79, total spend $395, miles expire when card is not used

Do I have this right? Still $400 for 3 one way US FC flights is a good deal, not amazing by FT standards, but good.
Surprised no one is talking more about the monthly use aspect? I know it is listed in the T&C, but is this really the way it works? Can Barclays take back miles already deposited in to the Miles & More account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.