FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1463793-barclays-usa-lufthansa-mastercard-revived-50k-after-5k-spend.html)

mnscout May 4, 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 20695754)
I had this card a few years ago. When I finally had the miles to redeem for two economy tickets between Spain and Germany, I paid over $400 in fees/taxes for my 'free' tickets. Miles & More is about the worst FF program that I know of. I love the airline, but I am done with their program.

Are you familiar with BA Avios?:)

It's terrible if you use it for its intended purpose (YQ surcharges) but it's awesome to use on partners (short hauls). It seems to me that this one falls into the same category. Get 2 cards (you and a spouse/partner) and you can get 3 first class transcontinental RTs in F after meeting the spend. Don't think it's too shabby.

eknock007 May 4, 2013 12:56 am

Another thing you can do with these miles is redeem for business class awards on SQ flights from the US to Asia. SQ blocks A380, 777-300, and A340 J availability from all *A carriers except LH/M&M. Fuel charges are not as high with SQ.

moznmar May 4, 2013 4:23 am

A big plus for me is that Lufthansa discounts award fares for children 2-11 by 25%. That means it's only 37,500 for an economy RT ticket for my son to Europe. Also, it's only 50,000 for an economy RT adult ticket to Europe if your residence is in the US.

AirD0c May 4, 2013 5:34 am

2 points.

1. Last year I used LH miles for an open jaw award, JFK -> FLO; IST -> JFK (via Frankfurt on A380) in biz, all on LH metal, for 105k miles and taxes/fees were $300-something.

2. Isn't United phasing out domestic first in place of a 2 cabin with "business first" on its premium transcontinental service?

cerealmarketer May 4, 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c (Post 20696458)
2 points.

1. Last year I used LH miles to for an open jaw award, JFK -> FLO; IST -> JFK (via Frankfurt on A380) in biz, all on LH metal, for 105k miles and taxes/fees were $300-something.

2. Isn't United phasing out domestic first in place of a 2 cabin with "business first" on its premium transcontinental service?

On 2) they already have in terms of selling the cabins going forward. Which is why that route shows the 35k RT rate when you do the search on the Lufthansa calculator.

Splittin' Aces May 4, 2013 12:28 pm

I'll have to think about this one for the next AOR. Great that it is a Barclay's product - I've got a lot of headroom on TU for inquiries. Any reports of an additional bonus of 15K miles if you spend $750 after you open the card - like we've seen with the USAir Barclay's card?

eknock007 May 4, 2013 1:06 pm

If you go to the M&M website and search in the Mileage bargains section you will see that they are running a promotion where a business class RT award is only 55K mile from select US cities to various cities in Europe. I suspect that it may routes with their older business class product but is a not bad deal if you need to travel to Europe from now until mid-June. They tend to run these kinds of promotions occassionally.

Long Islander May 4, 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by MightyTravels (Post 20690848)
US Domestic First Class is 17,000 miles one-way and 35,000 RT. Just spoke to M&M Call Center in Singapore. My test was JFK-LAX in UA F (booked as Business Class).

This is a really good deal. If you use BA miles, it's 50k miles for a R/T NY-LAX in biz class on AA.

Kacee May 5, 2013 2:02 am

Originally Posted by eknock007 (Post 20696092)
Another thing you can do with these miles is redeem for business class awards on SQ flights from the US to Asia. SQ blocks A380, 777-300, and A340 J availability from all *A carriers except LH/M&M. Fuel charges are not as high with SQ.

I understand you can also book SQ J class from the US using Avianca/Taca Lifemiles. But a valuable LH perk no doubt.

Originally Posted by Long Islander (Post 20698129)
This is a really good deal. If you use BA miles, it's 50k miles for a R/T NY-LAX in biz class on AA.

Yes, 35k on United's ps in J (especially if you get one of the new planes with the true lie flats) is a fantastic deal. You get lounge access too.

tassojunior May 5, 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by IDM79 (Post 20691355)
According to the terms these miles won't expire..."provided that you make a purchase for which miles are awarded at least once a month AND have held a Miles & More MasterCard for at least three months." (bolding mine)
Sounds pretty harsh as far as usual expiration rules but I'm assuming they mean if you don't satisfy those two conditions your miles will eventually expire at some time in the future, like 18 months or whatever just as most other programs? But I've never heard of that "once a month" activity requirement.

M&M miles expire at the end of 36 months period even if there is account activity.

Holding the card is the only way to keep them from expiring so long as you make one purchase on the card every month. Miss a month and they're dead immediately.

Some people have contacted LH and gotten their expired miles re-instated if it was because of this glitch.

Plan to use the miles within 36 months !

Kacee May 5, 2013 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior (Post 20700535)
M&M miles expire at the end of 36 months period even if there is account activity.

Holding the card is the only way to keep them from expiring so long as you make one purchase on the card every month. Miss a month and they're dead immediately.

Sounds like this would be a good card to use for an auto recurring monthly charge, like directv, gym membership, etc. That way you get the miles continuously extended without having to remember to use the card.

red star May 5, 2013 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior (Post 20700535)

Holding the card is the only way to keep them from expiring so long as you make one purchase on the card every month.

This is of course plain wrong. As long as you are a FF elite with M&M they never expire. Even if you loose your status the 36 month period starts again.
Due to the 2 years status validity and the soft landing policy my miles are already save until 2021.
If your are just talking about CC churning then yes, it is 36 month.

MightyTravels May 5, 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20693408)

Originally Posted by MightyTravels (Post 20690848)
US Domestic First Class is 17,000 miles one-way and 35,000 RT. Just spoke to M&M Call Center in Singapore. My test was JFK-LAX in
UA F (booked as Business Class).

Typo? If no why ever buy RT when you can book 2X OW instead.

Yeah 17k sounds weird but agent said they 'round down' for OW redemptions. I admit it's odd.

biggestbopper May 6, 2013 1:22 am

I am very careful with any program card offer that requires you to pay a hefty first year fee to get bonus miles, having been basically robbed by BA a few years ago when the program was gutted right after passing out 100K bonuses in a card offer which did not waive the annual fee.

Think I'll pass on this one.

MYRflyer May 6, 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 20704091)
I am very careful with any program card offer that requires you to pay a hefty first year fee to get bonus miles, having been basically robbed by BA a few years ago when the program was gutted right after passing out 100K bonuses in a card offer which did not waive the annual fee.

Think I'll pass on this one.

Yea, paying annual fee for (4) Roundtrip Domestic flights on AA metal with no YQ what a terrible thing :rolleyes: