Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks for the tip. I also lowered the CL for my Barclay M&M card yesterday to $500. How soon after lowering do you cancel your card? Thinking of canceling mine about 10 days from now.
I dont think there is an exact science to when to cancel after you lower your credit limit, in normal cases i let at least one statement close on the new credit limit, this is a personal preference when i have plenty of time.

i also believe 10 days should work just fine for you.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I dont think there is an exact science to when to cancel after you lower your credit limit, in normal cases i let at least one statement close on the new credit limit, this is a personal preference when i have plenty of time.

i also believe 10 days should work just fine for you.
Great, thanks!

Last edited by gnomey; Jul 29, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
How strict is Barclays with recent pulls?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
do you know what barclays pulls in your area? in southern CA they pull transunion, all the others pull experian, so its never an issue.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
from my experience, they will frown more on the # new accounts you have in the past 6 / 12 months.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Approved
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:26 am

from my experience, they will frown more on the # new accounts you have in the past 6 / 12 months.
Yes, but....

I've gotten a number of cards from Barclays, and while I'm careful not to apply right after doing an extended churn with other banks, and not to apply for more than one Barclays card per 6 month period, I have always had a large number of new accounts opened in the past 12 months.

What I do, and of course I have no idea if this affects my being approved or not, is put regular spend on all of my Barclays cards, and keep them open at least until the next AF posts. If I get a statement credit for the AF, I sometimes keep that card open for 2 years.

So I don't really know, but I'm guessing they are more averse to churns of their own cards, especially with only min spnd being done and early cancellations, than they are to new accounts in 12 months.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Yes, but....

I've gotten a number of cards from Barclays, and while I'm careful not to apply right after doing an extended churn with other banks, and not to apply for more than one Barclays card per 6 month period, I have always had a large number of new accounts opened in the past 12 months.

What I do, and of course I have no idea if this affects my being approved or not, is put regular spend on all of my Barclays cards, and keep them open at least until the next AF posts. If I get a statement credit for the AF, I sometimes keep that card open for 2 years.

So I don't really know, but I'm guessing they are more averse to churns of their own cards, especially with only min spnd being done and early cancellations, than they are to new accounts in 12 months.
^ agree with all of these. i wasnt as diligent in laying all out like you , so thanks for this!

my statement is more relevant if you have to deal with recon. thus , with barclay, what you want is to strive for auto-approval (no human intervention)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:19 am

^ agree with all of these. i wasnt as diligent in laying all out like you , so thanks for this!

my statement is more relevant if you have to deal with recon. thus , with barclay, what you want is to strive for auto-approval (no human intervention)
Hadn't thought about that, but yes, it seems nearly all of my apps have gone to auto-approval, mostly instant approval as far as I remember.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

6 month rule: hard or soft?

I've been looking everywhere for some guidance on BC churnability, and I know the 1 app / 6 month 'soft' rule, but couldn't find any recent DPs on this rule. I recently applied and got the AAviator red card, have a Arrival (nonplus) open, and was wondering if I should wait 6 months after AAviator opening before applying for a LH M&M again (churned in the past, now closed), or if I should just try to hit it now, it's been only 2 1/2 months since previous app? Any input would be more than welcome, there's nothing in the wiki. Of course I know YMMV, but anyone knows where the 6 month rule comes from and if it's known to be current? Any input would be very much appreciated.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:34 pm

30,000 points for $5,000 have posted, but 20,000 points for the first purchase haven't! Anyone with the same experience?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
I've been looking everywhere for some guidance on BC churnability, and I know the 1 app / 6 month 'soft' rule, but couldn't find any recent DPs on this rule. I recently applied and got the AAviator red card, have a Arrival (nonplus) open, and was wondering if I should wait 6 months after AAviator opening before applying for a LH M&M again (churned in the past, now closed), or if I should just try to hit it now, it's been only 2 1/2 months since previous app? Any input would be more than welcome, there's nothing in the wiki. Of course I know YMMV, but anyone knows where the 6 month rule comes from and if it's known to be current? Any input would be very much appreciated.
the 6 month rule is not a hard rule, its based on previous experiences with barclays, they are known to be sensitive to abuse of their cards, so the FTers found the safest way is 1 card/6 month. Since everything we do is YMMV here is my wife's last few cards all auto approved
Lufthansa February 2016
Lufthansa July/2016
Aviator January 2017
Lufthansa April 2017
Lufthansa September 2017
I would personally lower the credit limit on all open cards, i wouldn't apply for a card that i have the same open and i will always keep one card open at all times.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
In regards to this 6 month rule, I have the Aviator silver card right now from Barclays.

I have had the Aviator card since Jan 17 and upgraded in June 17 to Silver.

I'm not sure if I have applied and been rejected for other Barclays cards since then, should rejections count towards that 6 months cooling timeframe?

I will be applying for this card next week to keep M&M Miles active, the last time I had and closed this account was in Dec 2017

I have some miles that will expire at end of 2017.

Am I good to apply?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
I'm not sure if I have applied and been rejected for other Barclays cards since then.....
Eventually you will realize how important it is to record as much as possible about your ccs. Dates for app, whether accepted or denied, dates the bonus was given, date the card was cancelled, etc....

Since you don't know how the rules will change in the future you need to record all of this. I was caught when Chase added the '24 months since last bonus' rule, which was something I hadn't thought to record. Now everything gets recorded.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Setting up a spreadsheet now

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Eventually you will realize how important it is to record as much as possible about your ccs. Dates for app, whether accepted or denied, dates the bonus was given, date the card was cancelled, etc....

Since you don't know how the rules will change in the future you need to record all of this. I was caught when Chase added the '24 months since last bonus' rule, which was something I hadn't thought to record. Now everything gets recorded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.