Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
It really sucks that this hasn't popped up to 50K+. Been waiting for 4+ months. : (
Looks like you only had to wait another week more

But 5K spend. Ouch (still working on my manufactured spending)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Thank you. It's been almost three years since we last did this, so definitely time to repeat for 110,000 rather easy M&M miles. ^
how do you get 110k? do you apply for two cards at once? is that still possible with Barclays?

do we know how long this offer will be around?

thank you.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Lantean
how do you get 110k? do you apply for two cards at once? is that still possible with Barclays?

thank you.
i am guessing he applies for 2 people at once.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:06 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
how do you get 110k?
The clue was "we": self and spouse.

I've skimmed the promotional pages and T&C but haven't been able to find an end date. IIRC past offers have typically been open for around two months or less, so if I had to guess I'd say 30 April at the latest.

Note that anyone who is not familiar with Miles & More should do some research before applying for this card.

Some aspects of M&M are quite different from the FFPs that people based in the US are most likely to be familiar with, especially as regards mileage expiry and the taxes and fees charged on most redemptions.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Applied and got pending. Sigh.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Applied and got pending. Sigh.
i get pending from Barclays every time... then i log in to my account an hour later and bam, it's there.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Close existing card yesterday and applied today > pending and not approved

Was I too fast?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Can you not apply if you have an existing card?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

They won't give you two of the same CC
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by blitzen
They won't give you two of the same CC
From extended Rules and Regulations:
"Welcome Bonus: Applicants approved for the World Elite MasterCard with $89 annual fee will receive twenty thousand (20,000) award miles after the first use of the new account for a Purchase (that is not later returned or rescinded) and have paid the annual fee on the account (and such fee is not waived or rescinded unless the waiver is based on Senator and HON Circle Member status). An additional thirty thousand (30,000) award miles will be awarded after using the new account for five thousand dollars ($5,000) or more in Net Retail purchases (that are not later returned or rescinded) within ninety (90) days of account opening and have paid the annual fee on the account (and such fee is not rescinded). Award miles will be sent to Miles & More at the close of your billing statement after qualifying transaction(s) have been posted. These one-time award miles bonus offers are valid for first-time cardmembers with a new account only. Existing cardmembers and existing accounts are not eligible."
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Yes new cc = new account

But Barclays won't let you churn while the same product is open (auto decline).
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:46 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by blitzen
Close existing card yesterday and applied today > pending and not approved

Was I too fast?
Yes. Different people say different things but my rule of thumb is to wait at least six months, preferably a year. At the very least, wait until the closed account has been dropped from your overview of cards held.

Barclaycard are pernickety. Nine or ten years after getting my first card from them I'm finally getting instant online approvals. Keeping and using at least one of their cards over a period of several years seems to help a lot. The Arrival Plus is a strong candidate.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:32 am

my Serve just got shut down... suddenly not so sure I should apply for this card... hmmm.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:53 am

my Serve just got shut down... suddenly not so sure I should apply for this card... hmmm.
LH Bus Class is fairly good, but far from world class. LH FC is usually great. Especially if you depart from FRA in the afternoon or evening so that you can spend some real quality time in the First Class Terminal.

But a one way FC award FRA-US takes 85K miles, and the cc sign up bonus is just 50K. So for a FC award, you have to spend $35K on the cc. ! Or spend the $5K minimum, and then transfer over 30K very valuable SPG points to your MM account. Plus pay the AF, taxes, and quite pricey airline surcharges.

Not "free travel" at all, not even cheap travel. Deeply discounted Luxury Travel is more like it. Which makes it highly desirable for some, and not at all suitable for others.

Also keep in mind that LH miles expire three years after you earn them. The only exception is if you spend on the MM cc at least once every single billing period. Miss just one billing cycle, or make a single charge and have that charge post late so it hits the following billing cycle, and all of your points are reset to expire 3 years after they were earned.

All of that said, DW and I flew out of FRA last year, and greatly enjoyed the FCT. We had a flight crew that was lackluster, but the plane itself was great. I've just about completed my $35K spend on my second card, (thank you RedBird and T-Mobile) and we have been very impatiently waiting for this offer to reappear so DW can get her new card. As soon as her pending Chase app is completed, one way or another, she will absolutely apply for her next LH MM card.

Would we do this a third time, since my totally free spend thru RB and TM is now over? Good question....
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:20 pm
IMH

RobertHanson's post shows again why this card isn't necessarily a great choice if you're based in the US and don't have any other relationship with M&M. Some of his points aren't strictly correct, mind -- although I'm aware that the 'solutions' I mention below won't work for everyone:

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
for a FC award, you have to spend $35K on the cc. ! Or spend the $5K minimum, and then transfer over 30K very valuable SPG points
Or credit some flights to M&M.
Or hotel stays. Or car hire. Or subscribe to The Economist. There are still more options if you have an address in Europe.

LH miles expire three years after you earn them. The only exception is if you spend on the MM cc at least once every single billing period.
Elite status with M&M will protect your miles, as will holding some of the credit cards issued by their partners in other countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.