Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 18, 11:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pgary
Wiki Link
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 18, 13, 12:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
No YQ on domestic tickets on UA/US, and US longhaul. Lower YQ on longhauls operated by LOT, nearly none on Germanwings redemptions. All covered here during the last offer.

Last edited by mia; Oct 18, 13 at 8:40 am Reason: Remove circular link after merging new thread with previous discussion.
Old Oct 18, 13, 9:03 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Being from a silo bank, I bit.
Old Oct 18, 13, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 View Post
This was the only card that I got declined for in the last 2 years...
ruined my perfect score lol..
Did you already have some of their other cards?

Only Barclays and US Bank have ever declined my apps -- both for "excessive" credit card applications.

US Bank was even more ridiculous. I had gotten their ClubCarlson card and they sent me snail mail "pre-approving" me for one of their business cards. I didn't want that card, but I figured why not get additional ClubCarlson points by having their biz card. They then turned me down for the ClubCarlson biz card.

These smaller outfits definitely operate differently from AMEX, Citi and Chase.
Old Oct 18, 13, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rafi2k6 View Post
Yup. Because you book it through them you have to pay the Miles&More YQ and taxes.
Are you talking from experience? Then please elaborate. From what I know, there are no YQ and the taxes are minimal for redeeming on domestic travel.
Old Nov 24, 13, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Has anyone had a problem being approved for this card recently? Barclay has turned me down in the past for "too many recent apps."
Old Nov 24, 13, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Has anyone had a problem being approved for this card recently? Barclay has turned me down in the past for "too many recent apps."
+1 here. Not even sure how, since all they ever pull is TU and it's not exactly 0 apps on it -_- I may call them up.
Old Nov 25, 13, 8:17 am
IMH
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
+1 here. Not even sure how, since all they ever pull is TU
In most states TU won't log many hard pulls directly, but it's not difficult for a bank computer to draw conclusions by comparing the cards reporting now to those that reported six or twelve months earlier. Several new cards would be a red flag (churner alert), as would cards that have been closed or become dormant.
Old Dec 4, 13, 2:20 pm

Called in and got Annual Fee waived just now.

I said I was comparing it with the United Airlines card and must have confused the annual fee with that one because I was under the assumption that there was no annual fee.

She asked if I had any other cards with annual fees and I mentioned my Chase Ink Card and she asked why it was valuable to me and I said because of the points-earning structure of 5 points/dollar at office stores.

Then she asked what attracted me to the Miles & More card and I told her I was planning a trip to Europe and was looking for a card to use for everyday spending that may help with getting me there.

She then waived AF for first year.
Old Dec 10, 13, 8:23 am

current offer expires on the 15th. Jump on the deal while you still can people!
Old Dec 14, 13, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA XPlat
wanting to use this for EU-to-US or vice-versa.... YQ seems to make it a mediocre deal, but I'm totally on the fence.... $300-400 YQ is still cheaper than a $1000 ticket, right? right?!?
Old Dec 14, 13, 11:56 pm

My wife had a weird experience applying for this card last week. 0 TU inquiries but had just applied and been approved for a 2nd US Air card on August 15th. When she applied it went pending and after checking status she was denied, but Barclays didn't even pull a credit report. No EX, no EQ, no TU (which is what we expected). To make things even more weird is that Barclays is sending me a new card because of irregular activity on my account, which I haven't even used in a few months. Wife doesn't want to call recon so we'll see what the Barclays reason-for-denial letter says.
Old Dec 15, 13, 7:11 pm

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - 50k miles for $5k spend 90 days [to 12.15.2013]

Applied for miles and more and arrival got two pulls according to credit karma any chance transunion merged them into one ?
Old Dec 15, 13, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears View Post
wanting to use this for EU-to-US or vice-versa.... YQ seems to make it a mediocre deal, but I'm totally on the fence.... $300-400 YQ is still cheaper than a $1000 ticket, right? right?!?
I mean it's not for Economy class travel. No program which charges YQ is going to be any good for Economy class travel. If you really have to fly Y, you can book travel on LOT which has much lower fuel surcharges than OS/LX/LH.

That leaves premium cabins -- and OS/LX/LH J is much more available when redeeming Miles & More miles than when redeeming partner miles. It's also the only way to get Lufthansa F-class award tickets more than 14 days prior to departure.

Plus, you can use their 3-continent award to fly North America-Europe-Hong Kong, which is a fuel surcharge controlled market. So not only do you get way more flying in LH F, it also costs a whole lot less than you might be expecting due to government-imposed limits on fuel surcharges in Hong Kong.

And, if you depart Brazil, you won't pay fuel surcharges at all. Same with redemptions on AviancaTaca, US Airways until 30 March, and on UA for domestic and South America flights.

Last edited by arcticbull; Dec 15, 13 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 15, 13, 9:09 pm

dead, 4 hours ahead of schedule
Old Dec 15, 13, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by T3pleShot View Post
dead, 4 hours ahead of schedule
Yep, dead early. Oh well.

Search this Thread