Kroger 123

Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Kroger 123

I have this card from back in 2010 when i first learned about rewards CCs, but didn't understand the true value of rewards. I don't want to close it since it is one of my older CCs. What in the heck can I do with this card to make it useful? I've thought about buying GCs with it, but I'm not sure if that is viable since I can't see if they count for poitns in the T&Cs.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
...I've thought about buying GCs with it, but I'm not sure if that is viable since I can't see if they count for points in the T&Cs.
Surely you could make a test purchase and wait to see if the transaction earns points?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mia
Surely you could make a test purchase and wait to see if the transaction earns points?
Absolutely. I'm looking for another use for it since I have so many cards that earn much more valuable rewards. GCs from there are a last resort.

I really, really regret signing up for this card.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Some of my oldest cards are store cards that I never use. They are great for bringing up your average age of accounts and lowering your utilization ratio. There is no reason to use them except for possibly a few transactions here and there to keep the creditor from closing the account. They are useful just for the credit rating. Stick it in a drawer and use your cards with better rewards for daily purchases.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:18 pm

Kroger 123

I feel you man... Some of my first ccs were 5th3rd (I was in school in Cincinnati) and discover more.... At least the discover card has free credit score or something now. My parents even had me on one of their cards when I was in high school and then canceled it; before I knew anything... That was 7 years older than my second oldest card and almost 80% of my total CL at the time.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Kroger 123

I miss Kroger. Publix sucks
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by iruvmattree
I feel you man... Some of my first ccs were 5th3rd (I was in school in Cincinnati) and discover more.... At least the discover card has free credit score or something now. My parents even had me on one of their cards when I was in high school and then canceled it; before I knew anything... That was 7 years older than my second oldest card and almost 80% of my total CL at the time.
Discover does have a pretty solid cashback portal that may be worth checking out. Also, the 5% categories on Discover are nothing to complain about. Discover is my oldest card as well, but I have no regrets about keeping it around. In addition, they often run seasonal promos - like spend $200 in gas, get a $25 gas gift card. I converted to Discover it about a year ago, and yesterday I got a $5 starbucks giftcard in the mail just for being a customer. Just sayin' don't ignore discover completely.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:43 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Discover does have a pretty solid cashback portal that may be worth checking out. Also, the 5% categories on Discover are nothing to complain about. Discover is my oldest card as well, but I have no regrets about keeping it around. In addition, they often run seasonal promos - like spend $200 in gas, get a $25 gas gift card. I converted to Discover it about a year ago, and yesterday I got a $5 starbucks giftcard in the mail just for being a customer. Just sayin' don't ignore discover completely.
Yes, I agree, Discover's cashback portal can get you 5% off a hotel booking through an OTA, or even a flight if you book it as part of a package. That alone is significant. They have other merchants as well. If you redeem your cashback for a rental car, it doubles.

Their 5% quarterly categories are not as good as Freedom, but sometimes they can be useful (like Home Improvement next quarter).

It's not great for daily spend (you can do better than 1%) but it's a decent card and I put a couple thousand dollars on it a year.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:11 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by cbn42
Yes, I agree, Discover's cashback portal can get you 5% off a hotel booking through an OTA, or even a flight if you book it as part of a package. That alone is significant. They have other merchants as well. If you redeem your cashback for a rental car, it doubles.

Their 5% quarterly categories are not as good as Freedom, but sometimes they can be useful (like Home Improvement next quarter).

It's not great for daily spend (you can do better than 1%) but it's a decent card and I put a couple thousand dollars on it a year.
regarding the rental car redemtions - I have not taken advantage of those. I've always been skeptical that they'd be a good value. Since you have to use their discount code, do you get inflated base rates to begin with (i.e. can't take advantage of Costco or other discounts)? Also, I've been concerned that the coupon may negate the credit card insurance benefit, which would make them less attractive.

As for home improvement 5%...that's one that I never get any benefit from...not much of a spending category for me - to each his own! I look for the restaurants, gas stations, and online purchase categories!

Agree, I don't use it for daily spend, unless they're running a promotion - got one a while back for $250 bonus for meeting minimum monthly spend x 5 months or something, which ultimately seemed worth it. Nice thing was it stacked with the 5% categories...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
What in the heck can I do with this card to make it useful?
find a table that is off balance and stick it under the short leg
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/cre...?ics_src=93965

Looking over the terms, the Kroger 123 card is at best a 1.5% cash back card for Kroger house brand items, and at worst- a .5% cash back card on everything else. In-between, it's a 1.2% cash back card at Kroger.
Spend $1,000 outside of Kroger, get 1000 points - which is worth $5 off your next visit to Kroger. That's pretty lousy. Even if gift cards work, you're not going to score even 2% back. Depending on spending habits, I'd be looking at the Blue Cash family of cards, Sallie Mae card, etc. (3%-6% back at grocery stores.)

Since the card is from US Bank, perhaps you could product change the card to a Cash+?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...signature.html
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I agree. Discover is a fantastic member for my CC collection.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisj500
https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/cre...?ics_src=93965

Looking over the terms, the Kroger 123 card is at best a 1.5% cash back card for Kroger house brand items, and at worst- a .5% cash back card on everything else. In-between, it's a 1.2% cash back card at Kroger.
Spend $1,000 outside of Kroger, get 1000 points - which is worth $5 off your next visit to Kroger. That's pretty lousy. Even if gift cards work, you're not going to score even 2% back. Depending on spending habits, I'd be looking at the Blue Cash family of cards, Sallie Mae card, etc. (3%-6% back at grocery stores.)

Since the card is from US Bank, perhaps you could product change the card to a Cash+?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...signature.html
They won't let me PC it. I will probably use it for balance transfers if I need to.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

regarding the rental car redemtions - I have not taken advantage of those. I've always been skeptical that they'd be a good value. Since you have to use their discount code, do you get inflated base rates to begin with (i.e. can't take advantage of Costco or other discounts)? Also, I've been concerned that the coupon may negate the credit card insurance benefit, which would make them less attractive.
The e-voucher you get for car rental says it cannot be combined with other discounts. However, since it is effectively 50% off, it is likely better than whatever else you may find. Obviously, YMMV.

My personal auto insurance covers me for rentals, so I haven't really thought about the CDW from the credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.