Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Chase absolutely screwed us on our British Airways redemption ticket

Chase absolutely screwed us on our British Airways redemption ticket

Old Apr 18, 13, 12:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
Chase absolutely screwed us on our British Airways redemption ticket

I'll be as short as possible....because I am still steaming. We've been waiting for the BA redeem one, get one certificate for our spending in 2012. We kept hearing from Chase that it takes 6-8 weeks to post.

Today we were told our December 31st spending amount that put us over the $30k did not qualify since it posted on January 1st. Our signed sales ticket to the business is dated December 31st!!

To clarify, spend $30k in a calendar year and get a free travel certificate when you redeem your BA EC points. This is the carrot of the card.....and Chase absolutely screwed us. This is incredible.

We would have charged the last bit of money earlier but we realized the lacking amount on Dec 31 after we called to clarify it was 1 year from the date we got the card. We were told no, it was whenever you got the card till the end of the year.....so if you get the card with 6 months till the end of the year, you have 6 months (for that year).

We spent about 2 hours having a remodel bill expedited so we could go ahead and charge that amount - to push over the $30k. I think what infuriates me most is the fact we spent so much time making sure we spent the last bit of money on December 31st and it was for not.....

This is a legitimate old time screwing......

We spent 30 minutes talking to Chase and even spoke with some manager [name redacted] that also said tough luck.

We are not sure what we plan to do from this point forward.....this has left a bad taste on our mouths.....and we are the types spending $500-600k a year on credit cards with all charges.

Last edited by mia; Apr 18, 13 at 12:36 pm Reason: Chase employee's name removed per FT terms.
cashmccall is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 12:36 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by cashmccall View Post
This is a legitimate old time screwing......

We are not sure what we plan to do from this point forward.....this has left a bad taste on our mouths.....and we are the types spending $500-600k a year on credit cards with all charges.
If you are spending $500-600k a year on cards, you should have had no problem hitting $30k.

Also, this is not a "legitimate old time screwing." If you are going after a high spend bonus, you should do your research and know the "needed by date."

The terms on BA's website clearly state:
Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases
Sorry, this one is on you.
PainCorp is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 12:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Posts: 1,125
Originally Posted by cashmccall View Post
Today we were told our December 31st spending amount that put us over the $30k did not qualify since it posted on January 1st. Our signed sales ticket to the business is dated December 31st!!
Most banks, I believe, count spending this way. They use the posting date, not the spending date. You should've kept better track of how much spending you had to do on the card. You didn't get screwed by Chase, you screwed yourself by not keeping better track of this.
LETTERBOY is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 12:53 pm
  #4  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 39,063
Originally Posted by cashmccall View Post
Today we were told our December 31st spending amount that put us over the $30k did not qualify since it posted on January 1st. Our signed sales ticket to the business is dated December 31st!!
  • Go to chase.com
  • Login
  • Select the BA VISA account
  • Click: See account activity
  • From the pulldown choose: All transactions

For each transaction there are two dates: Trans date and Post date.
Late 2012 transactions are probably still listed.
Find the transaction in question.
If the Trans date is in 2012 you have something to pursue further, but if it is in 2013 the problem is that the merchant did not submit the transaction on the 31st, and Chase would be doing you a favor to credit it in 2012.

The full terms and conditions of the certificate offer is here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us
mia is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 12:58 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MKE
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by cashmccall View Post
I'll be as short as possible....because I am still steaming. We've been waiting for the BA redeem one, get one certificate for our spending in 2012. We kept hearing from Chase that it takes 6-8 weeks to post.

Today we were told our December 31st spending amount that put us over the $30k did not qualify since it posted on January 1st. Our signed sales ticket to the business is dated December 31st!!

To clarify, spend $30k in a calendar year and get a free travel certificate when you redeem your BA EC points. This is the carrot of the card.....and Chase absolutely screwed us. This is incredible.

We would have charged the last bit of money earlier but we realized the lacking amount on Dec 31 after we called to clarify it was 1 year from the date we got the card. We were told no, it was whenever you got the card till the end of the year.....so if you get the card with 6 months till the end of the year, you have 6 months (for that year).

We spent about 2 hours having a remodel bill expedited so we could go ahead and charge that amount - to push over the $30k. I think what infuriates me most is the fact we spent so much time making sure we spent the last bit of money on December 31st and it was for not.....

This is a legitimate old time screwing......

We spent 30 minutes talking to Chase and even spoke with some manager [name redacted] that also said tough luck.

We are not sure what we plan to do from this point forward.....this has left a bad taste on our mouths.....and we are the types spending $500-600k a year on credit cards with all charges.
Why would you wait until Dec 31st to finish a 30K spend. Did you get the card late in the year or something. Sounds like chase may be in the right, it's post date not charge by. Sorry, I feel your pain and would be angry too, but with things this important you got to be all over the T&C.
phdtomd is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:00 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: CA
Programs: BA, AA, United
Posts: 420
Chase has made exceptions in the past for issues like this. Please call again and hopefully a different supervisor/CSR will be able to help you.

Also, I have read on FT, when BA has even extended the 2 year redemption on the certificate for exceptional circumstances.

Hopefully it will work out for you eventually.






Originally Posted by mia View Post
  • Go to chase.com
  • Login
  • Select the BA VISA account
  • Click: See account activity
  • From the pulldown choose: All transactions

For each transaction there are two dates: Trans date and Post date.
Late 2012 transactions are probably still listed.
Find the transaction in question.
If the Trans date is in 2012 you have something to pursue further, but if it is in 2013 the problem is that the merchant did not submit the transaction on the 31st, and Chase would be doing you a favor to credit it in 2012.

The full terms and conditions of the certificate offer is here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us
rambo is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:12 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
yeah, it is not an issue to spend the money.....it was just the quick action to get it done. i don't know why we checked on early dec 31.....

i guess we thought most transaction dates were also the post dates.

and it is a screw you attitude by chase.......you have a sarcastic attitude like we should have got screwed but this is probably why you don't run a business and take care of customers?!

so for the people thinking we "got what we deserved" fine......and for the people who feel chase should have done a little more customer "serving", well, don't expect it.
cashmccall is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
If you are spending $500-600k a year on cards, you should have had no problem hitting $30k.
Statements like this really help - you missed a great opportunity to just stay quiet.
drminn is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:34 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by drminn View Post
Statements like this really help - you missed a great opportunity to just stay quiet.
Are you referring to me or the OP?

If me, which I think you were, I believe I have a valid point. You can't say "Oh, we didn't spend $30k this year with you, so I won't be spending $500k next." Doing this makes no sense. If he truly is spending that much on CCs, and this is a priority, there is no reason to miss it.
PainCorp is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 2:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,185
Read the rules. You didn't finish by 12/31.

Lesson learned. Go buy a new car on your card right now and you're good for next year.
UnitedFlyGuy is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,690
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post
Read the rules. You didn't finish by 12/31.

Lesson learned. Go buy a new car on your card right now and you're good for next year.
It doesn't take a year-end to generate the certificate. I hit $30K a number of weeks ago and already got my certificate for this year. So the OP could charge fast and qualify. Might be in time to use it on this planned trip.
josephstern is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:23 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 129
Some people are acting real nasty here. Yes- there are rules and the OP possibly failed to abide by them, but I'm sure they didn't post here to just have a bunch of people repeating the same thing. OP is obviously bummed at missing an opportunity that he wanted to take advantage and he's looking for any tips.

OP- I would write a letter to the executive office with exact details and documentation. If you were really as close as you said you were, I think chase will let it slide.
businessmachine is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:27 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
It doesn't take a year-end to generate the certificate. I hit $30K a number of weeks ago and already got my certificate for this year. So the OP could charge fast and qualify. Might be in time to use it on this planned trip.
Very true, if OP does spend $500-600k on CC as he stated, he should have hit this several times over already.

Originally Posted by businessmachine View Post
OP- I would write a letter to the executive office with exact details and documentation. If you were really as close as you said you were, I think chase will let it slide.
We don't know how close OP was. OP said he pushed the paperwork forward on a remodel, that was most likely several thousand dollars, if not $10k. I don't think Chase is going to overlook that.
PainCorp is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:31 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,690
Originally Posted by businessmachine View Post
Some people are acting real nasty here. Yes- there are rules and the OP possibly failed to abide by them, but I'm sure they didn't post here to just have a bunch of people repeating the same thing. OP is obviously bummed at missing an opportunity that he wanted to take advantage and he's looking for any tips.

OP- I would write a letter to the executive office with exact details and documentation. If you were really as close as you said you were, I think chase will let it slide.
I think, in part, the tenor of this thread was already set by the OP via the phrasing "Chase absolutely screwed us . . ."

To start out with phrasing like that and then to have some culpability?
josephstern is offline  
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:43 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Posts: 895
The poster is emotional, I get it, he expected something and it didnt go his way.

I think he would have gotten a lot more support if he said, "Crap, do you think someone at Chase could help me? I worked really hard to scrape up the spending to get the BOGO Cert."

In the end I do think he will find a supportive Supervisor or someone that will be reasonable and help him get his CERT but just to be clear there are a lot of folks in this forum that would never have taken the chance on charging something last minute and holding out hopes that it would absolutely go their way. Or get mad if it didn't.

They would be instead kicking themselves for waiting so long to complete the task.

Let's just support the poster and wish him the best, hopefully he will get his cert.
mrkymark is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread