Wiki Posts
Search

Best CC to use for car repair?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

need credit card for car repairs

Hi all -
I am up for $2000 worth of car repairs that are due next week :/ the shop does not accept my amex spg since amex charges high % and that is the only card left that i need to hit spend on (i have maybe couple of hundred on it left to meet the 5k.

anyways, should i sign up for another card to put spend on (visa or MC) and get a bonus for it or should i put on my existing cards?

i have united explorer , sapphire prefeared, amex plat, spg are the main ones and small cards like macy's , BOA cash back card...

if i decide on a new card, i need to pay the shop by next thursday..would i be able to get a card that fast? this car problem just happened and i have the cash to pay for it but if i am gonna spend it might as well get some points !

I was eying few cards coming up ( my last churn was in nov)
chase freedome, chase BA card, ink/bold? AA citi bank.

Thanks,
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:50 am

Given that you need to have the card in hand next week, you might want to consider applying over the phone for a Citibank card. If you are approved the rep handling the call can usually arrange to have the card issued and delivered by overnight mail, so that you will have it within two to three days.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:15 am
Suspended

Apply today.

Chase Will also Rush a card to you via UPS. It will indeed come overnight.

I would apply for the Ink Biz Card if you can spend another $3K in the next 3 months. They have a 50K point sign up bonus.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Am i able to get the business cards even if i dont' ahve a 'business'? how would that work.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:47 am
Suspended

Yes, just tell them you run a sole proprietorship. The business name can be anything (Ex: Your Name Financial or Your Name Enterprise, etc).

Just substitute your name and put "financial" or "enterprise" or something along those lines.

Mention you make 100K a year in business revenue. They will base it off your personal credit report (you will use your social security number to apply).

The best part is: while it does count as an inquiry on your credit report, the account won't actually report to your credit report unless you default on payment.

The 50K sign up bonus is good. I just got the card last week and as soon as my Ultimate Rewards post, I'm going to transfer them to United Airlines. However, you can transfer them several different programs or just use the Ultimate Rewards redemption page. Great card.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you spend regularly on the United MP Explorer card? If so, this $2000 repair bill would put a nice dent in the $25k spend requirement towards the 10k mile bonus at the end of the year. (netting you an annual earn rate of 1.4 miles/$. This is only slightly less than the more expensive United Club Card at 1.5 miles/$)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JaysonW
Do you spend regularly on the United MP Explorer card? If so, this $2000 repair bill would put a nice dent in the $25k spend requirement towards the 10k mile bonus at the end of the year. (netting you an annual earn rate of 1.4 miles/$. This is only slightly less than the more expensive United Club Card at 1.5 miles/$)
i hardly use the united explorer card , unless i am buying a ticket or rental car...mostly i've been using spg to meet spend.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Yes, just tell them you run a sole proprietorship. The business name can be anything (Ex: Your Name Financial or Your Name Enterprise, etc).

Just substitute your name and put "financial" or "enterprise" or something along those lines.

Mention you make 100K a year in business revenue. They will base it off your personal credit report (you will use your social security number to apply).

The best part is: while it does count as an inquiry on your credit report, the account won't actually report to your credit report unless you default on payment.

The 50K sign up bonus is good. I just got the card last week and as soon as my Ultimate Rewards post, I'm going to transfer them to United Airlines. However, you can transfer them several different programs or just use the Ultimate Rewards redemption page. Great card.
ahh ok - I may do that so i can start meeting spend on the 5k and get the 50k UR points.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:08 am
Suspended

Definitely go for the Ink Business. Fantastic Card and if you have good Credit, you will be able to get the card. Once approved, just ask them politely to Rush it to you via UPS.

You can transfer to United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, British Airways or Korean Airlines for 1 to 1 airline transfer.

Hotel transfers can go to Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carleton.

Apply now and let me know if you got approved.

**Also, if they ask any questions regarding the "Business" Card. Just tell them you do some consulting (or financial advice, etc) on the side and having a business card will help separate your finances.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Definitely go for the Ink Business. Fantastic Card and if you have good Credit, you will be able to get the card. Once approved, just ask them politely to Rush it to you via UPS.

You can transfer to United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, British Airways or Korean Airlines for 1 to 1 airline transfer.

Hotel transfers can go to Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carleton.

Apply now and let me know if you got approved.

**Also, if they ask any questions regarding the "Business" Card. Just tell them you do some consulting (or financial advice, etc) on the side and having a business card will help separate your finances.
Yeah i've been eying this card for a while - do you think i could apply for at least one more card for chase? i wanted the freedome for everyday use with the 5x bonus and i am worried if i apply for the ink card now i won't be able to get it the next few weeks...you think i could apply for ink , call consideration line if not approved then apply for freedome on same day? i have good credit 780-790. i also want the BA card if i can squeez it in to top my avois account for an upcoming trip and thats a 1k limit for the 50k avois.

i also have an upcoming spend (around 4k) for our bedroom set. can i get all 3 chase cards today? or should i get ink for the immediate car problem then apply for BA/freedome cards in two weeks...any advise?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:06 am
Suspended

Three cards would be pushing it, but definitely go for 2 at the same time.

Just about 2-3 weeks ago I applied for both the United MileagePlus Explorer (Personal) and the Ink Business Card. Approved right away for United, called Ink since they didn't give me an immediate answer and spoke with them for a few minutes ... then approved. Then I called back to the customer representative and asked her to RUSH the Ink Card via UPS and she did.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Three cards would be pushing it, but definitely go for 2 at the same time.

Just about 2-3 weeks ago I applied for both the United MileagePlus Explorer (Personal) and the Ink Business Card. Approved right away for United, called Ink since they didn't give me an immediate answer and spoke with them for a few minutes ... then approved. Then I called back to the customer representative and asked her to RUSH the Ink Card via UPS and she did.
So i applied for freedome card and the ink plus...both online on saturday but ofcourse i didnt' get an instant approvals ---i dunno why this is the 4th time i apply with chase and it all goes pending and no instant approvals...go figure.

anyways - i called this morning and talked to someone that went over security to make sure that i am who i am ...etc but she wasn't ablet o give me a decision, she said i have to talk to lending in two days...

do you know should i call reconsideration line? if so what is the #? i need the card by thursday at latest !

same thing happened to me on freedome card
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I was able to get the freedome card and ink plus !

hello 50k UR points
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

can i purchase 4 gift cards ( visa) from office depot or max and get 5x points and pay the mechanic? or is that too fishy for chase?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
can i purchase 4 gift cards ( visa) from office depot or max and get 5x points and pay the mechanic? or is that too fishy for chase?
The office supply stores stopped carrying a lot of the high-dollar gift cards. I believe OD is now capped at $200 per card. So, you would need 10 and have the pay the fee on each one.

You are better off just using the car repair towards the minimum spends on the new cards IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.