Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:00 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
When you freeze your Experian credit score how does that work? You just call into the credit card company and ask them to pull another credit bureau? What reason do you give? Do they normally do it?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:05 pm

Make money for credit card churn?

Why doesn't someone start a website where when you apply for credit cards (the best offers available of course) during an apporama, they pay you half (or some percentage) of the commission made from the credit card company. Obviously this would screw over bloggers but would make me a big winner. Imagine pocketing $300-$500 in cash along with the bonuses for a 5-8 card churn. Would the banks not allow this?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
I am pretty sure affiliates (bloggers) are not permitted to disclose the terms of their relationship (how much $$ they earn) and would imagine offering a cut of that commission would also be a violation of those terms. Affiliates would be very averse to upsetting the banks, since it's quite a cash cow for them.

Will the industry eventually get to the point that is an option? Perhaps. I look to sites like Top Cash Back and Big Crumbs and think it may be possible to do what you're suggesting in the future. Of course, if the market were more transparent we might not see the same sign up bonuses or ability to sign up for multiple cards on the consumer end. For now I'm happy with the points/miles I get with the current system.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:24 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...urself-ft.html
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I think your payment gets reported and if your balance is zero the bank could draw a conclusion. I saw this in a recent credit report
Correct. A statement balance is proof of use, thus proof of credit history. If you have a bunch of $0's then they could possibly conclude that its not something you're using.

I even had a reconsideration agent chastise me for paying off my statements early.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
For Blue? I just converted my really old BlueSky.

As for difference, didn't know there was a Business Blue.
I'm interested in doing the same thing (convert from Blue Sky to Blue). Does this involve a pull? I assume this can't be done online and I'll have to call.

I'm a bit surprised more people haven't discussed this card as part of an overall MR strategy.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
I'm interested in doing the same thing (convert from Blue Sky to Blue). Does this involve a pull? I assume this can't be done online and I'll have to call.

I'm a bit surprised more people haven't discussed this card as part of an overall MR strategy.
No pull, credit limit and everything else stays the same. But as with any card issuer, they can pull credit just to check in on you.

It's an decent idea, you just cant transfer them until you get a rewards card like the PRG or BRG, so it can be a big timing thing. You would most likely miss any transfer bonuses that weren't multiple weeks.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:56 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jatink129
P.P.S- I couldn't see any difference between the biz and personal blue. Is there?
Yes. Blue for Business has an annual bonus:

30% more points each year, based on the past year’s eligible purchases on the Blue for Business Credit Card
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iness-usa.html
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by mia
Yes. Blue for Business has an annual bonus:

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iness-usa.html
Thanks Mia.
I now know which one I'll be getting.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:58 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
I am wondering, we all do the A-o-R's on a particular day and get the best offer's that are available on that particular day.. but if a very cool offer comes by, say 4 weeks after your AoR, then there is no way to get it without getting another hit on your credit score and resetting your next AoR date by that many days.. or am I missing something..

btw- my humble attempt at writing a blog is on.. latest post is out.. please do visit.. link in signature..
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Apply or wait?

I have been denied a Ink Bold in early April due to short history with Chase and 3 cards obtained within 8 months. The same day I got approved for the AMEX Gold Biz but denied for the Starwood Biz. My plan was to wait until early November and apply for the Ink Bold/Plus then plus one-two more cards. But now there is that tempting churning opportunity with Citi's AA card. Should I just wait or do you think 1 extra card now wouldn't hinder my Ink chances? My credit score is >700.

thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:48 pm

Hey, guys I already have 3 apps planned for Citi, Chase and AMEX, and I'm looking for a decent 4th app from another credit card. By decent, there needs to be at least 40k pts / 40k miles / $400.

I'm thinking of BoA, as I don't have any BoA cards, except for the Virgin Atlantic AMEX which I closed a few months back. I couldn't find any cards from BoA that has a high enough signup bonus. I was going to do the Hawaiian Airlines card 35k miles = 70k Hilton points, but that has disappeared too...

Did I miss any BoA cards out this round? Damn signup bonuses are getting worse every year!!!

EDIT: I'm also open to any cards with high signup bonus, but they can't be from Citi/Chase/AMEX (since I already am applying one card each) and Barclays/USBank (stingy issuers and I don't want to waste a hard pull).

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Hey, guys I already have 3 apps planned for Citi, Chase and AMEX, and I'm looking for a decent 4th app from another credit card. By decent, there needs to be at least 40k pts / 40k miles / $400.

I'm thinking of BoA, as I don't have any BoA cards, except for the Virgin Atlantic AMEX which I closed a few months back. I couldn't find any cards from BoA that has a high enough signup bonus. I was going to do the Hawaiian Airlines card 35k miles = 70k Hilton points, but that has disappeared too...

Did I miss any BoA cards out this round? Damn signup bonuses are getting worse every year!!!
Have you ruled out Barclays? I think the BoA HA Business card is still around, and there's always the AS card if you have your heart set on a BOA card.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Have you ruled out Barclays?
Yes, I am giving Barclays and US Bank too a wide berth until 12mth from my last app. I got denied in my last AoR with Barclays and I don't want to waste a hard pull on them.

What's the AS card, is it Alaskan Airlines?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Yes, I am giving Barclays and US Bank too a wide berth until 12mth from my last app. I got denied in my last AoR with Barclays and I don't want to waste a hard pull on them.
Completely understandable. I'm only considering them right now since they seem to be the only one that doesn't pull EX for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.