Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
You and Rambro should make a point of using all your new cards, just a bit, and paying the bill on time or, even better--pay them early, before the statement posts. Then you will truly be establishing a good track record with the banks. Barclays especially hates sock drawers.
I experienced this first hand on my recon call to barcays travelocity. They loved my payment history with 2xUS Air cards.

I think with the numerous manufactured spend activities available today, it should be relatively easy to give each card some love. The occasional online purchase for the less rewarding cards keeps you in good stead with the issuers.

Citi has been sending me $25 credit for $500 purchases for my unused card. I think ignoring them for a while also has its benefits.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Work in progress.

Here's the plan.

Like MintCilantro, I've frozen my Experian. I haven't bothered freezing EQ or TU because I have very few inquiries there and don't mind either of them getting used.

Cards that I've zeroed down on. (In order of application)

Chase Ink Bold 50k
CITI AA Visa 50k
Hawaiian Air Biz 35k
Virgin Atlantic 65k
Charles Shwabb Checking Account

8 days later.
CITI AA 50k.

Any other good cards, that I should think about getting?
Thoughts on my list?

I am also going to close my Amex Biz Plat.
Since I am not in a hurry to transfer them to any other airline, what (no-fee) card could I get, to just park them for a while?
I understand that I'd lose the ability to transfer the points out,
but I'm pretty sure that there'll be an offer sometime this year or the next for a personal Gold or Plat card, and I'll apply for it then and regain the ability.

Cards that I have right now.
Chase: British Airways, Priority Club, Marriott, Sapphire Preferred, United.
Barclays: US Airways
US Bank: Club Carlson
CITI: one AA Plat.
Amex: Hilton and Biz Plat.

Last edited by jatink129; Jul 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
What credit monitoring service is that?

Originally Posted by jatink129

Here's the plan.

Like MintCilantro, I've frozen my Experian. I haven't bothered freezing EQ or TU because I have very few inquiries there and don't mind either of them getting used.

Cards that I've zeroed down on. (In order of application)

Chase Ink Bold 50k
CITI AA Visa 50k
Hawaiian Air Biz 35k
Virgin Atlantic 65k
Charles Shwabb Checking Account

8 days later.
CITI AA 50k.

Any other good cards, that I should think about getting?
Thoughts on my list?

Since I am not in a hurry to transfer them to any other airline, what (no-fee) card could I get, to just park them for a while?
but I'm pretty sure that there'll be an offer sometime this year or the next for a personal Gold or Plat card, and I'll apply for it then and regain the ability.

Cards that I have right now.
Chase: British Airways, Priority Club, Marriott, Sapphire Preferred, United.
Barclays: US Airways
US Bank: Club Carlson
CITI: one AA Plat.
Amex: Hilton and Biz Plat.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Amex Blue is Membership Rewards Express, so that might work, or you could get the Green card. Neither has transfer partners, but you can just get a card with a new bonus and then transfer them out.

Last edited by PainCorp; Jul 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by vodkashine
What credit monitoring service is that?
It's from USAA.
Called CreditCheck Monitoring Premium. $12.95 a month for a monthly three bureau report.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/cred..._creditmonitor

I don't know if you can sign up if you're NOT a USAA member, but try and see.
Either way, it's fairly simple to become a USAA member.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Amex Blue is Membership Rewards Express, so that might work, or you could get the Green card. Neither has transfer partners, but you can just get a card with a new bonus and then transfer them out.
Yeah...that's what I figured. No way to downgrade because my card is a charge card, and don't fancy paying the AF on the green card.

So I'll just apply for the Blue anew, and keep my MR points alive.

This works out fairly well, because next, I'll apply for a Plat (or Gold) personal when a good offer comes along, and by the time it's time to cancel that card, I'd have re-qualified to apply for a business card and get the bonus points.

Meanwhile the blue card will keep the points alive, since I have no real need to transfer them out right now.

P.S- What's the best offer on them right now? 10k right?
P.P.S- I couldn't see any difference between the biz and personal blue. Is there?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:39 pm
Suspended

P.S- What's the best offer on them right now? 10k right?
P.P.S- I couldn't see any difference between the biz and personal blue. Is there?
For Blue? I just converted my really old BlueSky.

As for difference, didn't know there was a Business Blue.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:55 pm

You and Rambro should make a point of using all your new cards, just a bit, and paying the bill on time or, even better--pay them early, before the statement posts. Then you will truly be establishing a good track record with the banks. Barclays especially hates sock drawers.
I like to let the statement post with a balance on it. Shows that the card was actually used. If you pay it off before hand, and it posts as $0, then there's no report history of consistent use when other people go to look at it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:18 pm

For Blue? I just converted my really old BlueSky.

As for difference, didn't know there was a Business Blue.
I know there's a 10k offer for the BIZ Blue. but don't see anything for the personal Blue. Can't seem to see any difference in the card either.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rambro
I like to let the statement post with a balance on it. Shows that the card was actually used. If you pay it off before hand, and it posts as $0, then there's no report history of consistent use when other people go to look at it.
I don't think they can see the balance history, just the most recently reported balance. Unless I'm missing something.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rambro
^^
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I don't think they can see the balance history, just the most recently reported balance. Unless I'm missing something.
Having a balance at statement close helps with the bank not the credit agency. Remember, you aren't being charged interested on the balance until it rolls over to the following months statement.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Having a balance at statement close helps with the bank not the credit agency. Remember, you aren't being charged interested on the balance until it rolls over to the following months statement.
Uh, that's exactly what I was saying....but the bank can see the history no matter what, so it doesn't matter for them if it posts with a balance or not, they'll be able to see it was used.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I think your payment gets reported and if your balance is zero the bank could draw a conclusion. I saw this in a recent credit report
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:28 pm

I am trying to spread around automatic payments on my cards so there is at least some activity on each card each month, even if I forget to use it. I have Comcast on one card, my monthly parking on another, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.