Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I read a tip to write in sharpie on each card what to use it for. if that changes, a little nail polish remover will erase the sharpie. then leave that written on section exposed in your wallet (if your wallet is arranged that way).
Label maker? white sticker?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:28 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I read a tip to write in sharpie on each card what to use it for. if that changes, a little nail polish remover will erase the sharpie. then leave that written on section exposed in your wallet (if your wallet is arranged that way).
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Label maker? white sticker?
Thanks for the tips. I am not in favor of writing directly on the cards, or even the sticker approach as I don't want to raise any eyebrows when handing my card to a cashier or to the waiter at a restaurant. I really like this idea of a small business card sized laminated card.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:31 pm

Depending where you're flying from, I'd sign up for the american airlines cards, or even southwest. The other option is one of the 50K AMEX cards, which have a low spend, or if you're worried about # of cards, you can try for the 75K amex card with $10K spend.

Only my first app-o-rama, I only did 3 cards, with my wife doing 1. I figured $10K in spend in 3 months is painless (I don't want to manufacture spend). We'll sign up for 3 more cards each in 2 months, then fall into some sort of pattern.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:45 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
FYI -- Just checked with Amex CSR on the HHonors card benefits.

Current 6x points categories:
Hilton hotels
Select U.S. drugstores
U.S. Gas stations
U.S. Supermarkets
Wireless, home telephone, cable, internet bills

6x points categories starting May 1st, 2013:
Hilton hotels
Select U.S. drugstores
U.S. Gas stations
U.S. Supermarkets
Wireless, home telephone, cable, internet bills
U.S. Restaurants
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Last I heard you could still get the bonus for switching from a Visa to a MC of the CSP, might have changed, haven't looked lately. You need to close the Visa though.

The Chase UA MP is a good one if you can get the 50k.

SWA Premiere is also at 50k and gives you enough RR points to cover the annual fee every year.

Also look at the Citi AA 50k, and US Air 30-40k (will be AA miles once merger is approved), and maybe the SPG 35k and the Amex PRG for 50k.

Last edited by PainCorp; Mar 6, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reason: Missed the last paragraph.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Newbie giving App-o-Rama a try

Hello All,
So i have been on this forum for a long time. I have recently started reading up about churning. I knew about it but decided against it as i was about to buy a house. Now that i have a mortgage and my score has finally gone back up to 800+ i have decided to finally start this process.

Currently i have the American Express SPG card. I hit the min and received the 50k points. My wife and i used it on hotel stays for 10 nights in Paris, Madrid and Barca recently. Now we want to start planning for our next trip. We would rather try to fly Business class internationally. So i want to apply and get cards that focus mainly on International travel (Europe and Asia).

The cards i am thinking of applying for both of us -
Citi AA card - 30K Pts (1k Min)
Ink Chase - 50k Pts (5k min)

I was thinking of applying for 2 more CC in this round - Any ideas?
Also, how should i spread the applications with regards to Card issuers?

I dont want to overdo it. Was thinking of churning twice a year. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I want to cover all basis before jumping into this.

Thank you
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

There should be a 50k Citi AA, plus depending on when you are planning your trip you can do the US Air for 30-40k depending on what you can find, if it's far enough away these might be AA miles. Also worth looking at the Chase UA MP Explorer for 50k if you can find it. Maybe the CSP? You can get 40k there and those transfer 1:1 to UA. Gotta pick only 2 Chase cards though.

Citi AA: 50k
UA MP Explorer: 50k
US Air: 40k
CSP: 40k
Ink: 50k
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Thank you for your prompt response. A couple of questions -
Dont i want to not be exposed to too many Chase cards? I heard there is a limit of cards you can have at one time.
Would it be possible to mix UA and AA miles to travel?

I do like the amount of miles i earn. For 6 months, it should be ample .
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

There's a suggested limit of 2 cards per AoR, but from what I gather, you are only limited by your credit and income. You can always move around credit to open a new card if you have enough.

As far as using them both to travel, you can do one way tickets, one on UA, one on AA, that's what I'm planning on doing.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
I suggest to get personal and business versions of SW premier and get the SW companion pass. Nothing to beat it for domestic travel in terms of value.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:23 pm

club carlson (85k point bonus) would be a good addition for hotel points especially with 2nd night free on redemptions.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...n-renewal.html
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ayya
club carlson (85k point bonus) would be a good addition for hotel points especially with 2nd night free on redemptions.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...n-renewal.html
I saw that, but dismissed it since I don't want to use a sign on bonus for a Radisson hotel when I could use it for something good (no offense). Might be for some, but not for me.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:40 pm

I don't see you targetting AMEX. AMEX has Biz gold for 75k MR points till 3/14.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ee-waived.html
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:58 am

Ended up tearing though the spend pretty quickly and due to some upcoming extensive travels, I'm excited about another churn (despite not waiting the standard 91 days). These are my targets - does anyone have any suggestions/input? Thanks in advance!

Citi Visa
Citi Amex
Chase Ink - Biz
Chase Sapphire
Chase United
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Smile What cards should I apply for my 2nd churn?

Hello everybody, I just finished my 1st churn on Feb 10 2013. I am thinking for my 2nd churn after 91 days. Currently, I have:

Amex:
Amex Business Gold (75,000)
Hilton Amex (65,000)
Amex blue

Barclays bank:
US Airways (40,000)

BoA/BoH:
Hawaiian airline boa (35,000)
Hawaiian airline boh (35,000)

Chase:
Chase Sapphire Prefer (50,000)
Ink Bold Business (50,000)
Chase Ink Bold (50,000)
Chase Ink Plus (50,000)
United mileageplus (55,000)

Citi:
Citi Dividend
Citi thankyou (35,000)
Citi American Airline (50,000)
Amex American Airline (50,000)
CitiBusiness AAdvantage (50,000)

Discover:
Discover card

So for my next churn after 91 days, which cards should I apply? any suggestion please

Last edited by happy9zz; Mar 7, 2013 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.