Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Just completed an AOR:

1. Barclays US Airways - still have an open USAir card I opened in Dec 2011. No decision (assume declined)
2. Barclays Arrival - I was only going to apply for this if USAir was declined, my hope being that it would only result in the single inquiry and I can call recon about the Arrival. No decision.
3. SPG Personal - Approved instantly. Already have BCP, BGR (got in Feb)
4. SPG Business - No decision. Expected since I just submitted the SPG Personal app, but I'm hoping for one inquiry from Amex.
5. Chase IHG Club - Approved instantly. Already have Freedom, United, Amazon with Chase.
6. Citi AA Visa - Approved via chat. Already have AA Amex, AA Visa biz with Citi.

Went about as expected. Hopefully I can push the SPG Biz through.

I just got approved for the Barclays US Airways card, how should I wait before applying for the Barclays Arrival?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I would say 6 months and keeping spending on the US Air card.
Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I just got approved for the Barclays US Airways card, how should I wait before applying for the Barclays Arrival?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by vodkashine
I would say 6 months and keeping spending on the US Air card.
I was hoping to do some non-use to trigger the bonuses that some people have gotten. hehe
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Thinking of having a family member do their first AOR or mini-AOR but their credit score (per Credit Karma) is 709. Is this manageable?

Was thinking UA Explorer, Sapphire, and either Citi AA or Barclays US Airways.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ladoo420
Thinking of having a family member do their first AOR or mini-AOR but their credit score (per Credit Karma) is 709. Is this manageable?

Do they have any credit cards with history on the report? If yes, go for it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Originally Posted by ladoo420

My CK score is only 694 and I have all those cards and many more. If you have history that you can explain, don't hesitate. Just be prepared to talk about the items that keep your score low.

BTW: The CK score is useless really. My actual TransUnion (which is what CK looks at) is well above 700 and my Experian (what Credit Sesame looks at) is way above 700 too. CK is only good to track what you have financially and for alerts. The score is useless. Pay some money and get your actual scores from the various bureaus is you are concerned.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by funtrainsf
My CK score is only 694 and I have all those cards and many more. If you have history that you can explain, don't hesitate. Just be prepared to talk about the items that keep your score low.

BTW: The CK score is useless really. My actual TransUnion (which is what CK looks at) is well above 700 and my Experian (what Credit Sesame looks at) is way above 700 too. CK is only good to track what you have financially and for alerts. The score is useless. Pay some money and get your actual scores from the various bureaus is you are concerned.

Can CK report a higher score than your actual TransUnion? Obviously it can report a lower score such as in your case.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM
I have done it mid-AOR after Amex and Citi, since they never agree to pull another, to get Chase, Barclays, and BOA to pull others and had success.

For Amex I have had them come back days later on the 2nd card and insist on the pin to access Experian.

Freezing after the fact should not impact anything that already happened.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Can CK report a higher score than your actual TransUnion? Obviously it can report a lower score such as in your case.
I would say it's possible since no one really knows how either calculates the score. I just wouldn't put any value on the score. I would spend the about $10 per bureau to get my official score if it that concerning. The money you spend on the score will wash away quickly with all the benefits you get from the cc's you get.

Keep in mind, if you are trying to build your score up for home purchasing, then this is all a moot point. If you don't see any of that in your near future, fire away and take your way out of pending approval and declines. It's pretty easy.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:52 pm

Thankfully, we bought our house last year and don't plan for any big purchases anytime soon.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:17 pm

I bet that'll be a fun trip
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by funtrainsf

Go to Myfico.com its really the only place to get your real scores, I ditched CS and CK for the lack of giving my accurate information, and in this hobby that is what you need in front of you.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:59 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post -- and my first attempt at an AOR. I've tried to do my research so I'll keep it simple. Goal is international premium travel on Star Alliance and OneWorld.

Round 1:
Me: Chase Mileage Explorer (I have 50k offer), Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum Visa, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

Husband: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

9 Days Later: We both apply for Citi Aadvantage again

Three months later:

Me: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Husband: Chase MileagePlus Club, CitiBusiness Aadvantage Visa

I can't believe we can/should apply for two Citis in 9 days. Feel a little nervous about that one. All thoughts appreciated!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by sfmom
Hi all,

This is my first post -- and my first attempt at an AOR. I've tried to do my research so I'll keep it simple. Goal is international premium travel on Star Alliance and OneWorld.

Round 1:
Me: Chase Mileage Explorer (I have 50k offer), Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum Visa, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

Husband: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

9 Days Later: We both apply for Citi Aadvantage again

Three months later:

Me: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Husband: Chase MileagePlus Club, CitiBusiness Aadvantage Visa

I can't believe we can/should apply for two Citis in 9 days. Feel a little nervous about that one. All thoughts appreciated!
this is a very good plan for first aor. These are some of the most valuable cards you can get in this hobby. I wish I had done this when I started. I'm assuming you will use the SPG points to transfer to AA to get a decent stash. Qty is just as important as quality of points.

You may want to think about other hotel cards for your 3 mo cycle. Those also depend a lot on the destination you are going.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Thank you! You are correct about SPG. I'm just starting to look at hotel cards - hopefully will be more up to speed on those in a couple of months. There is so much to learn!

Looking forward to pulling the trigger, probably next week. Will post our results if they are revelatory in some way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.