Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
Right. Since PRG and BGR are charge cards, I assume they do not count towards the limit of 4, so I can get 3 more Amex cards?
My mistake. I misread your post.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
That's just how it works for Amex cards. They won't approve you for both on the same day. And then the second just auto-approves itself a few days later or you can call recon for it.

The AA card doesn't really play into whether or not you'll be approved for the SPG. So you could apply for the SPG and then apply for the AA 5 minutes later. Or the other way around. Makes no difference.

As to whether you'll be auto-approved for the 2nd SPG later on or if you'll have to call recon, I really can't tell you. It depends on a LOT of factors.
Great, that's exactly what I needed to know. The only reason I'm even considering the AA card in this equation is because I think they're going to pay a little more attention to the number of recent inquiries I have. I know AmEx is ready and willing to increase my line of credit, so I'll do those slightly after the AA card.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
1. Amex will let you have 4 credit cards. Personal or Business, makes no difference but not more than 4. Charge cards are not counted.
Also, apply for both on the same day, you might just get lucky and get your credit pulls combined, but one will be denied automatically...That card will then get approved later on on it's own or by calling recon in a few days.

2. Depending on how long it's been since your last AOR and how much credit Chase is willing to extend to you, you might just get auto-approved for it. If you don't, you can always say that you need it for the ability to transfer points to partner hotels and airlines.

3. You'll have to read the respective threads and go back about 10 pages or so to get the current status of applications.

4. How long has it been? If it's been more than 6 months and you've put a lot of spend on it, you may just get auto-approved or you may be able to talk them into giving it to you by saying you need it for separate expenditures. Again, I'm not the authority here so you'd be best helped by reading the thread.

Cheers.
can one AMEX personal and one Business be applied/approved on the same day?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by liw5215
can one AMEX personal and one Business be applied/approved on the same day?
As I said a few posts above. Amex won't approve two cards in one day.
You may apply for two cards on one day but the second one will be auto-denied.
Then it'll either get approved automatically in 4-5 days or you'll have to call recon.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
4. I've tried churning the USAir card once and was declined. Does anyone have experience with getting approved for a 2nd card on 2nd try? I still have my 1st open because it provides the 5K discount on awards and the 10K anniversary bonus.

Just go to the Barclay/US Air thread as I have just answered this question in a general format there about an hour ago.
Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:23 pm

Churnable once again?

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
And if the OP wants to build their AA account quickly it seems the Citi cards are churnable once again and should be possible to build a decent balance quite quickly.

See the excellent thread wiki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

Would you explain what you mean by "again"? I was under the impression that one must wait at least 17 months before churn...is that still the case? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by crtnycrk
Would you explain what you mean by "again"? I was under the impression that one must wait at least 17 months before churn...is that still the case? Thanks!
read the wiki in the other thread - lot less than 17 months
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA Silver
Next Churn Suggestions?

Looking for ideas on what to get next as far as churning is concerned.

My last churn took place last October of 2012 so I think I am in the clear for most cards.

During that churn I got the following:

Delta Gold Amex
Chase Sapphire Preferred
2 x Citi AA Visas
Barclay US Airways
Hhonors Surpass Amex

Besides that, I am Diamond Hhonors, Diamond Gold Passport and PM for DL.

One of my requirements is to have a card with a chip in it, but besides that I am open to suggestions. Any cards currently that have a higher than normal bonus?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Definitely consider the Starwood Personal and Business Amex. 30K points each for some initial spending ($5K?). Normally the maximum is 25K points.

Also, if the deals are still available and if it would fit into your travel plans, the Chase Hyatt and Chase Fairmont cards each come with two free nights ((IIRC, after some relatively modest initial spend) at just about any property of either of those two chains, but must be redeemed within a year. They both have some superb hotels. My wife and I redeemed our combined four free Hyatt nights at the Paris Park Hyatt Vendome and the four Fairmont nights at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver. Two of the very best urban hotels in two of the very best cities we've ever visited.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Freeze CR at the end of an AOR

For my upcoming AOR, I'm considering the strategy below:

Execute the AOR, including business/personal cards from amex, chase, etc then put a freeze on exp

Since Amex is ymmv on 2nd hard pull a few days later, putting a freeze would then prevent that.

Would this have any effect on the AOR apps if a freeze was done after the fact the same day?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:51 pm

I'm planning my next AOR at the end of the month and like a lot of people I was looking for input:

Cards I have:
Amex: SPG, PRG, Business Gold, Blue Cash Preferred, Hilton Hhonors,
Citi: CSP, British Airways, Ink Plus
Citi: AA Visa, AA Business
Barclays: US Airways
BOA: Hawaiian Airlines
BOH: Hawaiian Airlines
US Bank: Club Carlson, Club Carlson Business

My last AOR was the end of Feb. I was denied on a Barclays card because I didn't have much of a history with Barclays at the time. Since then I've put some spend on the US Airways card to create a history of spend. I also had to cancel the United Explorer and Ink Bold for British Airways and Ink Plus approval.

I'm looking into:
SPG Business (Definitely going to go after)
Barclays Arrival (Definitely going to go after)
Alaska Airlines 40K
United Business 50K
Citi AA Visa 50K, possibly another or Citi Hilton the next week. (Probably going after at least 1 AA Visa)

Questions
1.I don't really want to close any Chase cards at the moment. If the CSP Mastercard ever becomes available again I'd like to cancel the Visa and go after it but I don't know if that will ever happen. It's been six months since my last applications and since then I've gotten an additional form of income to supplement my income. Would that be enough with 6 months between applications and the raise in income where I could apply for a Chase card and not have to worry about closing a card or should I wait longer? My first Chase card was opened September last year.

2.Assuming I get automatic approval for the Arrival, would it be pushing it to apply for a second Barclays card like another US Air?

3.I got the AA Visa last September, would there be any issues going after at least one and possibly two new AA Visa cards over a week period having one already? I was going to cancel the old one soon anyway to avoid the fee.

4.Last couple AOR I applied for 6 cards each time, that's why I waited 6 months for the next round. I was thinking of only going after 4 this time so I can apply again in 3 or 4 months. Does that seem like a small enough amount for that to work? There's many more cards I'd like to apply for, but I don't want to screw it up for next time.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I can speak to Barclays.
They seemed to look for ways to not issue cards.
I think it helps spending on it regularly. If you are spacing 6 months between apps with them I think that helps too.
I would say all things being equal that you have a good shot to get a 2nd card.

Originally Posted by sound48
I'm planning my next AOR at the end of the month and like a lot of people I was looking for input:

Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:23 pm

So obviously one of the very important aspects of AORs is knowing your credit history and score, knowing who's done a hard pull from which bureau, etc. It sounds like lots of people here check theirs on a regular basis. What sites/services do you use to keep a close watch on this information, but not cost an arm and a leg to do so?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
For my upcoming AOR, I'm considering the strategy below:

Execute the AOR, including business/personal cards from amex, chase, etc then put a freeze on exp at the end of the day

Since Amex is ymmv on 2nd hard pull a few days later, putting a freeze would then prevent that.

Would this have any effect on the AOR apps if a freeze was done after the fact the same day?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Assistance

Credit score is 792. I have the SPG and a Citi AA card that I use as my standard always have cards. Recently opened a Citi Mastercard and Chase BA card. These two opened and received within the past two weeks and I have met the spend on both of them. I made the error of applying for a second Citi card inside of the 8 day window and was declined and I now have to wait 65 days for another Citi card. I would like to bank some Hilton points so my plan is to get that card in 65 days time and churn it.

It would seem that I need to look at additional Chase or BOA cards at this time. I don't have a business so business cards won't work. I like AA miles but I think it may be time to expand to also have United miles (I am in NY and look to fly 1-2 times per year in business class for vacation). I have some time to accumulate miles as I have my JFK-NBO in business booked for January and I have enough miles for my JFK-TXL for next June.

Suggestions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.