Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Closed Thread

Old Jul 13, 13, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
I wouldn't say Citi AAs are highly churnable (that would be USAIR last year and plain Citi Hilton), more AOR friendly. Citi AAs have 18 month wait between closure of same type cards to be consider "new" but there are VS, MC, AMEX platinum, plus AA Gold and also Biz versions. You can apply for two - 1 pers plat and 1 biz (or AA gold) weeks apart as two browser trick died earlier this year - then 91+ days for another two of different type. So yes you can get AAs nearly year round but not the same exact card as they usually have "new accounts" T&C. Details in the wiki of the Citi AA post.

I pretty much spent up my miles/pts for Aust trip so time to reup with mini AOR #1 for 2014 EU trip:
  1. Club Carlson Premier Visa Sig - Pending/approved 3 days later by email - 1st US Bank (get mail for Flexperks card constantly)
  2. US Airways (TU) - Instant approval - 15K (wow highest CL) - 1st Barclays
  3. CSP (applied in-branch for lower spend) - pending/recon approval - "Not enough accounts opened long enough" - weird as I have had a Freedom and Amazon card for 4-5 years, the United card for 13 months and a Chase checking/savings account for 1.5 years. Called reconsideration and lady said EQ didn't show them though she could see them in my chase profile.

She pulled TU and took some credit from the consolidated credit (onepass CL added to MP) on my United card as I hit my max credit with them for approval.

Last apps: 2x Citi Hilton Dec 12, United MP May 12
Old Jul 14, 13, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Originally Posted by hnf8705 View Post
Right now, the 50k Citi AAdvantage Select Visa is VERY EXTREMELY churnable.. In the thread, it was recently reported that someone was approved TWICE in ONE MONTH!! Sooo.. I'm pretty sure i'd like to apply for that card again even though i just received it in March.
I also have a Wells Fargo card from 8/05;
a Kohls Cap One card from 1/08;
and the Barclays US AIR i got in April.

OR i need a good Everyday use card. From what ive read, the go-to cards seem to be CSP and SPG..

Any advice for me? Anything at all is very appreciated! TIA!
Post where the Citi AA card is churnable, now the US Airways card has been reported as churnable in the past.

You really should have a plan on what you want to do with your points and miles. My parnter and I plan on taking a trip around the world (next sept), so we went after Citi AA cards, personnel and Biz, this gave us 100K each we both went after CSP and Ink Bold cards (another 100K miles,) europe to singapore to LAX. We do manufacture spend on them to pump up miles, we are about to go after the Club Carlson cards (85K each), Amex SPG personnel and Biz cards (50K each) and US Airways cards (40K each). We will get more cards at the end of the year to help with our plan.

I keep saying this, I see more and more people without a plan on what they are getting the miles for, then they end up with lots of miles but do not have enough to really use them to the fullest.
Old Jul 14, 13, 6:04 am

Results of Mini AOR July 13

Chase Sapphire Preferred (40k after $3k spend, $95 annual fee waived first year) - instant approval, very hefty credit limit
Chase Freedom ($100 Cash Back after $500 spend, no fee) - approved during recon call, moved credit from existing card
Gold Delta AMEX (45k after $5k spend, $95 annual fee waived first year) - instant approval, don't yet know credit limit
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday ($150 reward dollars after $500 spend in 3 mos - pending (indicated they need further information from me and asked that I call)
Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature (50k after $1k in 3 mos, no fee) - instant approval, generous credit limit (first Citi card)

Spouse applied for Platinum Delta AMEX Business 55k offer a few days ago (offer expired 7-7-13) and was approved (applied on phone due to web issues).

Overall I stand to gain:
40,000 Ultimate Reward Points
$100 statement credit (Chase Freedom)
45,000 + 55,000 Delta Skymiles between me and spouse (plus the free Coach companion cert on his platinum)
50,000 Hilton Points
Possible $150 if AMEX Blue Cash Everyday is approved (not too concerned if I don't get this as I already have the preferred version)

Need to spend $15k in next 3 months. Between spouse and I and some manufactured spend I don't see an issue. Biggest concern is making sure we mix in enough regular spending to keep things looking good.

Things I learned:
I received much better offers for AMEX cards when I used a Google Chrome Incognito window (private browsing session). I used the Card Match Tool and was able to get the 45k Delta Gold (standard is 30k) and the $150 Blue Cash Everyday (standard $100). It took a bit of playing around and just trying the links several times to get the applications to work, but eventually they did.
Do not take AMEX up on their offer to pre-fill the application by using your existing account info. Act like you don't have an existing account and fill the entire thing out.

Chase added my new account immediately to my online account (basic info like last 4 of card, credit limit, statement closing dates, etc.). Can't use the cards yet of course, but nice to see them all linked.
AMEX provided very little information for the approved account and didn't even mention the credit limit. I could call but I think I'll just wait to get the info in the mail.

I pulled a free credit report from each bureau a few hours after the applications.
Chase pulled once on Experian and once on Transunion.
AMEX pulled Experian once.
No pulls on Equifax.
Don't know what Citi pulled as I applied after pulling my credit reports.

Will be interesting to see how Credit Sesame and Credit Karma think these new accounts as well as the new hard inquiries impact my scores (I know they're FAKO).
Old Jul 14, 13, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You should transfer the 10,000 UR points from the Freedom to CSP so you can transfer them to a FFP.
Old Jul 14, 13, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Post where the Citi AA card is churnable, now the US Airways card has been reported as churnable in the past.

You really should have a plan on what you want to do with your points and miles. My parnter and I plan on taking a trip around the world (next sept), so we went after Citi AA cards, personnel and Biz, this gave us 100K each we both went after CSP and Ink Bold cards (another 100K miles,) europe to singapore to LAX. We do manufacture spend on them to pump up miles, we are about to go after the Club Carlson cards (85K each), Amex SPG personnel and Biz cards (50K each) and US Airways cards (40K each). We will get more cards at the end of the year to help with our plan.

I keep saying this, I see more and more people without a plan on what they are getting the miles for, then they end up with lots of miles but do not have enough to really use them to the fullest.
Yes, it is true for me. I have saved a lot of points from United, AA, US, Hawaiian, Hilton, Hyatt. However, I dont know how to use those points because I dont have any plan yet. I just earned point from sign up bonus. My idea is jut get points when there is sign up bonus from credit cards for future use. There are a lot of sign up bonus from now, if I dont get those to save for your future vacation, you will waste your credit score.
Old Jul 14, 13, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by happy9zz View Post
Yes, it is true for me. I have saved a lot of points from United, AA, US, Hawaiian, Hilton, Hyatt. However, I dont know how to use those points because I dont have any plan yet. I just earned point from sign up bonus. My idea is jut get points when there is sign up bonus from credit cards for future use. There are a lot of sign up bonus from now, if I dont get those to save for your future vacation, you will waste your credit score.
Yeah, but if you just build up points without a plan, you're facing a risk of a program de-valuation or not having enough points in the right place.
Old Jul 14, 13, 8:00 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
Yeah, but if you just build up points without a plan, you're facing a risk of a program de-valuation or not having enough points in the right place.
+1000

Seriously, points are the most volatile currency out there. Just look at Hilton earlier this year - ruining my plans of a week in the Seychelles because I couldn't lock into dates.

The only real time to aimlessly apply for cards is those 75,000+ offers that aren't too frequent.
Old Jul 14, 13, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
The only real time to aimlessly apply for cards is those 75,000+ offers that aren't too frequent.
+10000

For that many MR points (let's be real, you're talking about MR), I'll find a place to put them, or just transfer them to my Blue to hold them until I can if there aren't any bonuses at that time.
Old Jul 14, 13, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by tomsam View Post
Even if you don't have a specific goal in mind, you should have a target airline (or hotel) in mind to determine an AOR strategy. Do you?

For instance you mentioned you have the US Airways card. Do you have a lot of US Air miles? These would eventually become AA miles so going for Citi AA cards would add to that pile, while a CSP would not yield points that transfer to AA miles.

On a side note - I was not aware that Citi AA visa was extremely churnable.

I guess I am kinda targeting American/US Air right now.. I have been following the Citi AA forum since early March and have 1 personal Citi Visa. I'm workin on getting more.. I dont have a lot from US Air, but i have their card and have taken 2 roundtrip flights with them. Im hoping to get a 2nd card again this year. I dont have ANY hotel cards yet. And ive held off specifically because I dont have a real plan for them.

Side note - It is extremely churnable if you consider getting the SAME EXACT card TWICE IN 8 DAYS as extremely churnable!!

Originally Posted by lmwong1977 View Post
I wouldn't say Citi AAs are highly churnable (that would be USAIR last year and plain Citi Hilton), more AOR friendly. Citi AAs have 18 month wait between closure of same type cards to be consider "new" but there are VS, MC, AMEX platinum, plus AA Gold and also Biz versions. You can apply for two - 1 pers plat and 1 biz (or AA gold) weeks apart as two browser trick died earlier this year - then 91+ days for another two of different type. So yes you can get AAs nearly year round but not the same exact card as they usually have "new accounts" T&C. Details in the wiki of the Citi AA post.

Yes those are the general Citi rules.. And the wiki does an excellent job of spelling out those rules.. However, the 50k link for the Personal Visa Platinum is NOT following those rules! You have to read the most recent pages of the forum though..

In the" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-first-38.html "forum. FTM IkeEsq did an experiment and posted his results. It is on p.38. He posted on July 10th, 13 at 9:36am:

"Churning 50K cards
Recent Approval History:
12/09/2012 - 50K AmEx/Visa [Both] (Open)
02/24/2013 - 30K MC Gold [Ike] (Open)
02/24/2013 - 50K Biz [Ms Ike] (Open)
04/26/2013 - 30K MC Gold [Ms Ike] (Open)

Latest Applications:
06/29/2013 - 50K Visa [Ike] Instant Approval
07/01/2013 - 50K Visa [Ike] Deferred Step 3 - Declined too many Apps.

06/29/2013 - 50K Visa [Ms. Ike] Deferred Step 5, Approved on chat 07/02/2013
07/10/2013 - 50K Visa [Ms. Ike] Deferred Step 5, Approved on chat 07/10/2013

So I think, based on my own experiment, the current rule is one application per week. Also that the 50K is churnable immediately. All four of the recent applications were using the 50K Link in the Wiki.

I have updated the Wiki to reflect the one-week rule."

Others have reports of approval within the 18-26 month rule for this card as well. I'm plannin on applying again for this card tomorrow. I already have one that I got in March 2013. I just didnt know if i should make a mini AoR out of it..

I am not really to the point of having lots of miles yet.. And I'm only working with 1(ish)airline so far as mentioned above.. Im confident that by the time i have enough miles with American to go somewhere significant, i will have a plan!
Old Jul 15, 13, 12:29 am

Result of my recent AOR:

7/6/2013 barclay Arrival ( pending then denied)
7/6/2013 Chase UA 55k ( pending ,then approved on recon )
7/6/2013 Citi AA VISA 50k ( instant approval)
7/9/2013 Chase Marriott 70k ( denied, but seems to be no hard pull)
7/14/2013 Citi AA VISA 50k again( pending, then approved via chat)

Need to spend 7k in 3 months. Lots of pressure......
Old Jul 15, 13, 12:32 am

Quick general question for the pros, since I'm a newb: How often do you do app-o-ramas? I'm at about 13 new cards (2 store cards just for the perks) in the past 2 months and need to cool off as I'm already getting questions about 'why do you have so many recent applications?'. I'm even hesitant about signing up for the second Citi AA Platinum Visa because of this, even though its been a month now. So how long would you recommend waiting until I can/should dip my toes back in the water?
Old Jul 15, 13, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hnf8705 View Post
I am not really to the point of having lots of miles yet.. And I'm only working with 1(ish)airline so far as mentioned above.. Im confident that by the time i have enough miles with American to go somewhere significant, i will have a plan!
FlightNurse is referring to the people that will get the 50k UA sign-up bonus, the 50k AA, the 40k US and then come asking what they can use them for. You are at least focusing on one airline, so that is a step up there. Having all your points in one pot is much more beneficial than 3-5 pots.
Old Jul 15, 13, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Originally Posted by happy9zz View Post
What you have done is waste your time as well as miles if you used that spend on points you really wanted. It is hard not to resist going after all these cards, but having a plan is the only way to effectively gain the miles you want.
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:37 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by rambro View Post
Quick general question for the pros, since I'm a newb: How often do you do app-o-ramas? I'm at about 13 new cards (2 store cards just for the perks) in the past 2 months and need to cool off as I'm already getting questions about 'why do you have so many recent applications?'. I'm even hesitant about signing up for the second Citi AA Platinum Visa because of this, even though its been a month now. So how long would you recommend waiting until I can/should dip my toes back in the water?

At 13 new cards in 2 months, I'd say you've hit the throttle full speed and, if you keep it up, you are headed for the proverbial brick wall.

What you do next to achieve the highest probability of success will depend on how long you wait, your credit history, average age of accounts and credit score.

Since you asked: I'd wait 6 months before any more apps. In the meantime, learn about the programs that are attached to your 13 new cards and see which program works best for you. That will help you have a strategy for your next apps, when the time comes.
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:58 am

What you have done is waste your time as well as miles if you used that spend on points you really wanted. It is hard not to resist going after all these cards, but having a plan is the only way to effectively gain the miles you want.
Its OK to have an idea of what you want. But people are different. Some are detail planners and know exactly what the want. Others are more flexible and open to options and new ideas.

I say keep your options open and get the best deals.
Often times you may find one program that does not have availability for where you end up wanting to go, but some other program does.

In particular, even more so for you, since you don't have a plan of where you want to go, accumulate what you can and then you have options when something comes up, or even having the availability can prompt new ideas of where you would like to go.

This often happens to me, where the first choice is not available, but I check a different airline or option and find availability. An example of this is I seldom fly United but signed up for their CC bonuses a couple of times. Planning a trip to Panama I was going to use AA like I have done for two other trips to that area. AA had only 60K redemptions for the time I wanted to go. I checked United and they had some nice 30K redemptions I used for two of us and the others I purchased using TYP.

It is immensely valuable to have several airlines or flexible purchase options such as Flexperks or Citi TYP's available. This can be even more important if you need to get a number of people such as I have with 10 of us going to Panama.

Another example, I would never even have thought about going to South America, but I had all of these BA points a couple of years ago, and from reading about best way to use them, I came out with a wonderful trip.

If I waited until I knew where I wanted to go or what airlines I wanted before I accumulated points I would be far behind the 8 ball and going much fewer places. I guess I could say I do have a plan. It is to accumulate as much as possible across many different programs. This has allowed my family to go on many interesting trips.

This is very similar to an NFL draft. You may have a plan for what you want, but many teams will also pick the best player available at the time. You may not want to pass up a 100K passer just because you need defense and all that is available are 30K linebackers.

Search this Thread