Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Closed Thread

Old Jul 6, 13, 7:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, Hyatt Explore-nothing, Marriott/SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Why the Amex MB card, I don't see the real benefits of this card, yes you get 50K MR points but the high card fee makes me wonder...

I would question Amex why they are looking at a old credit report and not the most current one? April is too old in the credit world.
With CVG as my home airport, Delta miles are the most valuable currency to me. Hence the Amex MB, and why I'm particularly upset about the Delta card being denied. I tried to question the use of an old credit report - which was pulled when I was instantly approved for the business gold card in April, strangely enough. Unfortunately, both reps I talked with spoke broken English at best. They were also surprisingly short with me on the phone,
and I accomplished nothing between the two conversations.

Is there any way to get that decision reversed in the coming days?
Old Jul 6, 13, 8:59 am

Do you know about manufactured spend? Here is another place to go check out. These links will explain how to play the game to meet the spends.
I do, but even with BB+Reloads, $5000-$6000 spending in 3 months is still pushing it. Unless I just load GC onto BB then withdraw it all. Which people apparently think is a risky thing to do.
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
I do, but even with BB+Reloads, $5000-$6000 spending in 3 months is still pushing it. Unless I just load GC onto BB then withdraw it all. Which people apparently think is a risky thing to do.
Stay within your comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with going slow. This should not cause stress in your life. I would not be comfortable with $5000 monthly in manufactured spend if that was all I was putting on the cards.

I've gone slow myself... It's taken me a while to tackle the next tier of this game. I had two vanilla reloads that sat in my sock drawer since last fall, and just recently loaded them to my zero balance Bluebird. After a year of reading FT and the blogs, I did my second AOR a week or so ago and am heading to Wally World this very morning to try to load a gift card.
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
It is, however, if you pay your CC bill directly from BB then it is not.
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
Stay within your comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with going slow. This should not cause stress in your life. I would not be comfortable with $5000 monthly in manufactured spend if that was all I was putting on the cards.

I've gone slow myself... It's taken me a while to tackle the next tier of this game. I had two vanilla reloads that sat in my sock drawer since last fall, and just recently loaded them to my zero balance Bluebird. After a year of reading FT and the blogs, I did my second AOR a week or so ago and am heading to Wally World this very morning to try to load a gift card.
There is a difference between going slowly and placing money in a sock drawer for a year..... The hard part really is finding a WM that has a kiosk, as the way some people posted, they have them, which is not the case. But once you find them, and have loaded them once or twice, it's very easy, then just set up a direct payment from BB to your CC that you bought the beans or GC with.
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DutchRyan View Post
With CVG as my home airport, Delta miles are the most valuable currency to me. Hence the Amex MB, and why I'm particularly upset about the Delta card being denied. I tried to question the use of an old credit report - which was pulled when I was instantly approved for the business gold card in April, strangely enough. Unfortunately, both reps I talked with spoke broken English at best. They were also surprisingly short with me on the phone,
and I accomplished nothing between the two conversations.

Is there any way to get that decision reversed in the coming days?
Still not too sure why you want to spend $450/yr fee for the MB AMEX card, when there are other AMEX cards to get that come with more Delta miles and MQM...
Old Jul 7, 13, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Still not too sure why you want to spend $450/yr fee for the MB AMEX card, when there are other AMEX cards to get that come with more Delta miles and MQM...
I won't touch Delta anymore, at least not when avoidable, so the bonus would have to be substantial for me to consider it. Not sure I really follow your comparison of MR to DL miles, though. That's like comparing UR to AA miles, you can't, they're completely different.
Old Jul 8, 13, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
I won't touch Delta anymore, at least not when avoidable, so the bonus would have to be substantial for me to consider it. Not sure I really follow your comparison of MR to DL miles, though. That's like comparing UR to AA miles, you can't, they're completely different.
I wasn't, I was asking DutchRyan why he was going after the Amex MB card, his comment was, his home airport is CVG, I don't see the advantage of the AMEX MB card over say the other Amex DL cards... BTW, I like DL, even though I only fly them on the west coast, I'll be able to use from sky peso's for our fall trip to new England...
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:42 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

There is a difference between going slowly and placing money in a sock drawer for a year.....
I know, I know! It was intimidating to take the plunge to manufactured spend. In truth, I've got a business that charges up lots of expenses, so when my goals were more modest, I had points a-plenty to meet those goals.

Now <bah ha haaahhhhh> I want to haul my family of 4 around twice a year, plus a few girlfriend trips to the places my family doesn't care to visit, so my strategy had to change, too.

But, hours of daily FT reading has its rewards, <cowboys and girls>. I loaded my two gc's at Wally World yesterday in about 2 minutes... it was easy! I'm going back today to do it again and have big plans for paying income and property taxes on my BB. I've passed the hazing and joined as a full fledged FT sorority sista!

Just fyi- my kiosk said 2600 is the limit, not 2500.
Old Jul 8, 13, 1:59 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Results of my FIRST EVER A-O-R...

Barclays US Airways- Denied, denied, denied and then finally denied..

Citi AA - Approved after 7 days, and sending additional document..

Chase United - approved after second call to recon line..

Amex SPG - Approved instantly..

Amex Premier Gold - Approved Instantly..

Chase Marriott - Approved after call to recon line.. same person helped me get the United card too..

Citi Hilton - Application rejected due to multiple applications to Citi on same day..

You can read my entire experience on my first blog.. see link in signature below..
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
But, hours of daily FT reading has its rewards, <cowboys and girls>. I loaded my two gc's at Wally World yesterday in about 2 minutes... it was easy! I'm going back today to do it again and have big plans for paying income and property taxes on my BB. I've passed the hazing and joined as a full fledged FT sorority sista!

Just fyi- my kiosk said 2600 is the limit, not 2500.
Welcome to the other side.... BTW, I grew up in San Diego.. Don't miss it much.
Old Jul 9, 13, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by simz View Post
Chase United - approved after second call to recon line..
Was your United biz or personal?
Old Jul 10, 13, 6:29 am

Just did a few cards yesterday...mostly to ensure I'm meeting spend Plus I tend to just focus on one trip at a time and we have Hawaii booked for New Years.

SPG business for spouse and I - instant approval
Chase Hyatt for spouse and I - instant approval with very large credit lines

This was my first business card (we have a rental property), so it was nice to see that go through easily.

Now I'll get the spend on these and in a few months probably go for AA cards to rebuild my balance (Hawaii trip depleted things).
Old Jul 10, 13, 9:15 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Was your United biz or personal?
Personal..
Old Jul 10, 13, 9:34 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
So I applied for 3 cards yesterday:

Chase United Explorer - pending but approved after calling reconsideration line and adjusting the credit limit from another card
Barclays US Airways - instant approval
Citi Hilton Reserve - pending

I don't have any other Citi personal cards but I do have the business version of the AAdvantage card with them (opened Nov 2012). I've heard that the Citi reconsideration line is a bit difficult to work with but just wondering what my strategy should be with them, call now while the app is still pending or wait til I get the decision letter?

Search this Thread