Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
General guideline is 2 chase cards per AOR, much easier to explain to reconsideration why you need two cards than why you need three.

Do the Barclays and US Bank first, they are the most picky.

Might as well throw in the HA cards, since they'll combine into one pull.

Citi rule is 18 months between apps for the same card, 1 card app per day, 2max personal during 65 days.
When you, and others, say do Barclays/US Bank first, how much time in between them and the others?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tronic
When you, and others, say do Barclays/US Bank first, how much time in between them and the others?
Just first when you fill out apps, so when the system pulls your credit it won't see other inquiries from your other apps.

They tend to be the pickiest when it comes to approvals, I even saw one person mention Barclays reversing a decision after a secondary pull, but only saw that one report, so I don't know how much to believe.

One thing I forgot to ask, what were the approximate dates of the six hard pulls? Were they more than 3 months? 6?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:55 pm

Just first when you fill out apps, so when the system pulls your credit it won't see other inquiries from your other apps.

They tend to be the pickiest when it comes to approvals, I even saw one person mention Barclays reversing a decision after a secondary pull, but only saw that one report, so I don't know how much to believe.

One thing I forgot to ask, what were the approximate dates of the six hard pulls? Were they more than 3 months? 6?
Citi pulled EQ on 3/18/13 (CL increase request, probably bad timing but they did increase it by 200%)
utility company pulled TU on 2/18/13.
Chase pulled both EX and EQ in 7/12.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Citi pulled EQ on 3/18/13 (CL increase request, probably bad timing but they did increase it by 200%)
utility company pulled TU on 2/18/13.
Chase pulled both EX and EQ in 7/12.
Everything else is older? You said 6 and those are 4, just want to make sure. The rule on waiting 91 days is so CC companies will hopefully not say that there are too many recent inquiries. The Chase shouldn't be an issue, and the utility can be easily explained, the only one that bothers me a little is Citi. If it was me I would wait a bit, just to be safe. Hopefully others with more insight on that chime in. I don't request CL increases on my cards so I can save it for new ones which means more likely instant approval without shuffling CL around.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:31 pm

Everything else is older? You said 6 and those are 4, just want to make sure. The rule on waiting 91 days is so CC companies will hopefully not say that there are too many recent inquiries. The Chase shouldn't be an issue, and the utility can be easily explained, the only one that bothers me a little is Citi. If it was me I would wait a bit, just to be safe. Hopefully others with more insight on that chime in. I don't request CL increases on my cards so I can save it for new ones which means more likely instant approval without shuffling CL around.
Here's the full list:
Citi EQ 3/13
Utility TU - 2/13
Chase EX - 7/12
Chase EQ - 7/12
Utility EQ - 11/11
Utility EQ - 11/11
Utility EQ - 8/11
Student Loan EQ - 7/11
Student Loan TU - 7/11
Amex EQ - 6/11
Citi EX - 6/11
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Here's the full list:
Citi EQ 3/13
Utility TU - 2/13
Chase EX - 7/12
Chase EQ - 7/12
Utility EQ - 11/11
Utility EQ - 11/11
Utility EQ - 8/11
Student Loan EQ - 7/11
Student Loan TU - 7/11
Amex EQ - 6/11
Citi EX - 6/11
Yeah, then everything is older. Citi is the only real one that jumps out at me. When were you looking at doing this AOR?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:44 pm

Yeah, then everything is older. Citi is the only real one that jumps out at me. When were you looking at doing this AOR?
ASAP

Also, you mentioned the Hawaiian cards would combine into one pull. I just want to confirm that since they are issued from different banks, BOA and BOH.

Last edited by Tronic; Apr 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

ASAP

Also, you mentioned the Hawaiian cards would combine into one pull. I just want to confirm that since they are issued from different banks, BOA and BOH.
Different banks, but FIA handles the cards for both.

That being said, nothing is guaranteed, but that is what should happen, and has in the past. I would do them back to back. You'll probably have to call reconsideration on one, just tell them you want to keep expenses separate and they should be fine approving you.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:04 pm

Different banks, but FIA handles the cards for both.
Should I hold off a bit because of the Citi pull or risk it?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Should I hold off a bit because of the Citi pull or risk it?
I'm torn. If it was me and I could wait, I would, but if you need the points to book whatever trip you're planning, you might not be able to. I'm torn.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:16 pm

I'm torn. If it was me and I could wait, I would, but if you need the points to book whatever trip you're planning, you might not be able to. I'm torn.
91 days? It's not so much that I'm ready to book a trip, but I found a bean location, in NYC no less, that accepts CC so I'd like to take advantage of that for min. spend while still possible.

Last edited by Tronic; Apr 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by babiemindy
Hey everybody,

The 1st time I started applying for cards was August 2012 and I think it's time for the 2nd round, any advice on which ones to go for would be highly appreciated!

Specific Questions:
1. Should I close the SPG Amex account towards the 1 year anniversary or close it? Is there any benefit for keeping it open, and is it worth it?
2. I like having priority boarding, I used to have it with the Continental Card and Silver status, what card can I apply for to get this perk?
3. Which other business cards can I apply for? Note the business and myself are the same EIN.
4. What personal cards should I apply for now? or is there a specific incentive I should wait on before I take the plunge?

Monthly spend: approximate $3,000 - $5,000

Here is what I did and the results from 1st time:
Application Date: 08/07/12 - FICO 740
1- Amex SPG card - $65/yr fee
2- Citi AAdvantage Visa - $85/yr fee
3- Citi AAdvantage Amex - $85/yr fee
4- Chase Priority Club - $49/yr fee
5- Chase Hyatt - $75/yr fee

Application Date: 12/07/12
6- Citi AAdvantage Business - same EIN as SSN, not a separate entity

Hoping to provide some data points and contribute to the site with my recap as I've gotten so many tips already as a reader of the forum.

History about me:
early 30's - travel mostly for pleasure, based in NYC (JFK, LGA, sometimes EWR) - Star Alliance is my preferred program, then OneWorld (no status), timeshare program with Wyndham & RCI - helps with lodging expenses
- over 10 years of credit history, HHonors Gold through online tips

Older Cards:
Chase Sapphire Preferred 09/11 - my everyday card - no f/x fees, annual bonus dividend miles
Chase Continental Card - cancelled 11/12 they would not waive the annual fee
Citi ATT Universal Card 08/2001
Citi ThankYou 04/2003
Discover 06/2005
Amex Blue 10/2001
Amex Blue Cash 01/2001

Citi Universal, ThankYou, and Discover I use to perpetually carry a 10k balance at 0% I'm in no rush to pay off - but the cards are inactive otherwise.

I rarely travel for work, mostly just for personal trips and I have a full time job. From the last churn, this month I will be using the 2 Hyatt nights on PH Milan, some SPG points for Hotel Kamp Helsinki (cash & points), 50,000 miles each for round trip flights on AA (taxes around USD 115).

Would love to have more trips like this!

Goal: travel and see the world in style (luxury + value), see 35 countries (including 7 continents by my 35th birthday).

Dear seasoned travelers, any advice you have is appreciated...
Thanks again!
You say Star Alliance is your preferred program. I can't tell from your credit card distribution - what's your preferred airline?
It seems like your have some opportunity to build up a United / Ultimate Rewards portfolio via the Chase United Explorer, Chase Ink/Bold (Business cards) and Chase Freedom to complement your Sapphire Preferred and earn UR points for transfer to United.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:58 am

Sharing my AOR data because I appreciate reading the same from others.

Went 3 for 3 today. Had to call on 2. Second AOR of the year. [Got the Amex Platinum (100k), PRG (50K) (and both bonuses!) and Barclay's USAir (40K) back on January 8th.]

Background:
787 CK. 789 CS. 33 y/o. Currently three active cards with Chase (Freedom, BA, United) two active cards with Barclays (USAir, Upromise). Been playing this game for two years. I tend to do small 2- or 3-card AORs every 3 to 4 months. I almost always cancel fee cards before their anniversary. In my state (KS), Chase hits EQ, Amex hits EX, and Citi and Barclays hit TU (mostly).

Applied today for:
CSP MC. 40k after $3k/3mo. Instant approval. Previously held Visa version but cancelled more than a year ago.
Chase Ink+. 50k after $5k/3mo. Pending. Immediately called recon. Moved lines of credit and got approved as a "household employer" w/EIN (wanting CC for nanny) with no revenue. (My first business card!) Queried about "multiple inquiries" but I just explained that I was a CC "enthusiast." Rep (female) was very polite.
Barclays Arrival World Mastercard. 40k after $1k/90days. Pending. Immediately called recon. Moved lines of credit and got approved. Also queried about "multiple inquires" but in this situation I explained that I was still searching for the one, perfect travel card. (I'd like to thank the academy ) Rep (male) was also very polite.

Have a good day peoples.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:34 pm

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

91 days? It's not so much that I'm ready to book a trip, but I found a bean location, in NYC no less, that accepts CC so I'd like to take advantage of that for min. spend while still possible.
Beans aren't as hard to find now that you can get GC with PIN numbers on them. But lucky you to find a location!

Edit: So what cards did you finally decide on? If you were getting cards with higher minimum spend I was going to suggest those, but from what I see, the highest minimum spend is only $2,500.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.