Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:49 pm
wcj

Welcome to FT? seems odd for me to say to you. Anyway, I think what you are looking for is the how long between apps information. The "rule of thumb" or guideline is basically do your apps, wait 90ish days, do another round. If you are in a hustle, then go ahead and try it, but seems like you could wait the 90 ish days and research what would be best for YOU given YOUR travel plans, home airport, etc. It doesn't do you much good to have 1million Hyatt points if your are trying to go to a place where Hyatt doesn't have a property.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz
Do you still have Citi "Gold" AAdvantage MC (30k) link? thank you for your help.
Here's your link
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:10 pm

With my recent inquiries and new lines of credit, I did not know which bank is most willing to overlook this given my good credit score.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by e4west
With my recent inquiries and new lines of credit, I did not know which bank is most willing to overlook this given my good credit score.
Do you have something beyond these cards? I was able to do all 8 of my cards over a 30 day window (yeah, I was stupid) and got them all approved. Only had to call recon once, but was able to get it. Being that it was Barclays I might have been able to get a card from one other bank, but didn't chance it.

In general, wait 91 days now, and you should be fine. It will give you time to research and figure out what cards you want to keep long term, and which ones you need to get rid of, move CL from/to, what programs you need points/miles in, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:03 pm

Spree - bad idea?

Ok, I'll give my background. I'm 19, male, from the UK. I have no debt, and run my own business. Currently, I have several bank accounts (all but 1 opened before age 18). The main bank account I use has no overdraft limit (it was an under 19s account, I was using it to make sure I never accidentally went overdrawn), however I have another account with the same bank with a Ł550 overdraft limit.

I also have an Amex credit card with that bank, which I spend regularly on, and pay back in full every month (unfortunately, there've been a couple of months where I've been a day late, I need to set up a standing order so I can't forget!) - that card has a Ł1300 limit, originally Ł500, but I've got it raised whenever I could. I couldn't for the first 6 months, but since then, it's been raised every 3 months.

My bank account has always had a reasonable amount of money in it (not huge, but I can't think of a time since turning 18 that it's been under 4 figures in pounds, other than 1 particular month a while ago) - My Equifax and Experian scores were about 10-20 under the max on my last check, a few months ago. However, that seemed mostly due to credit checks, which I had removed from the records.

So, my question is, with this credit history and considering my age, is it a bad idea to do a CC spree for airmiles/points? I don't foresee any need for loans and mortgages, although it'd be good for cashflow to have a reasonable credit limit. I want to get an Amex Plum in the future, although not for a couple of years.

Thanks very much in advance!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Just to clarify, you're from the UK and live in the US, or from the UK and still live there?

The vast majority of the offers we see here are for US credit cards from US banks, so I'm not sure how much help we'll be if you live in the UK.

Being 19 your credit history would most likely not be long enough to get a Premium card, and even though you own your business (no offense) you probably don't make enough to qualify for them, just judging by your age.

Edit: Welcome to FT, and HUGE kudos for getting your first post in the right forum, especially for this subject!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Just to clarify, you're from the UK and live in the US, or from the UK and still live there?

The vast majority of the offers we see here are for US credit cards from US banks, so I'm not sure how much help we'll be if you live in the UK.

Being 19 your credit history would most likely not be long enough to get a Premium card, and even though you own your business (no offense) you probably don't make enough to qualify for them, just judging by your age.

Edit: Welcome to FT, and HUGE kudos for getting your first post in the right forum, especially for this subject!
Thanks for the reply

Yeah, I'm from the UK and still live there. That said, there may be plans to expand something to the US in the next year, with me moving over there. However, from what I've seen, for the most part, this kinda stuff crosses borders a lot. A large percentage of the cards mentioned here are available in the UK, and we share 2/3 of our credit agencies with you guys.

Fair enough, and no offense taken I know what you mean about premium cards, although my current card does earn me Avios. I wouldn't call it a premium card though, I agree. RE the income, current income is mid 5 figures, however something new I'm launching in the next month could reasonably be expected to push me into 6 in a pretty short amount of time (15x,xxx-2xx,xxx at an estimate, based on previous experience, the level of trust the market has in me, and success of competitors. I realise that projected income isn't worth a thing though )

And thanks for the welcome and kudos!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:20 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread opened

Last edited by mia; Mar 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
BofA Alaska airlines card. Alaska airlines now allows one way rewards.
Also you can look at Ink Bold / Ink Plus business cards.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:23 pm

Wow, just read the whole thread - was wondering if some of the pros on here would comment on my upcoming AOR.

Background - 750 on Credit Sesame, 780 on Credit Karma. Have a legit business that's still starting out with $20K of sales, but primary income is fairly respectable. Oldest credit line is ~10 years. Open accounts and date of opening are below:

Citi AA Biz Card (applied 12/27, took forever to get paperwork done - 2/1/2013)
B of A Hawaiian Airlines Card 12/27/2012
B of A Hawaiian Airlines Card 12/27/2012
United Explorer Mileage Plus 12/27/2012
AMEX Hilton 11/28/2012
Citi AA Visa 10/1/2012
Citi AA AMEX 10/1/2012
Southwest Personal 10/1/2012
Southwest Business 10/1/2012
US AIR Mastercard 10/1/2012
AMEX PRG Biz (upgraded to plat a week ago) 10/1/2012
AMEX PRG Personal (preapproved for plat upgrade but not gonna do it) 11/11/2011
Sapphire Preferred 8/1/2012
Cap One 1/1/2012
Fidelity Investment Rewards 8/1/2012

Cards I'm planning on applying for:
Citi Hilton Reserve - booked 12 nights at Hiltons for the rest of the year and want gold status
Starwood (personal?) - do almost $20K in manufactured spend a month so wanted to get some Starpoints into the mix for their value
Ink Bold - UR points are like crack (mainly transfer to United for long haul premium product)

I guess more so than looking at what cards to get, I'm curious to hear people's opinions on if I should space my apps out a little bit more and wait another three months (for everything but the Citi Hilton, which I need for trips ASAP) - clearly I've been hitting it hard in the past two churns and don't want to get blackballed from any issuer.

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
I have 2 Citi AA cards that i applied for a month or so ago - Other than the business card, what other ways do we have to bolster our AA miles?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:51 pm

Fidelity (ending soon), Citi Gold checking, SPG transfers are the three biggest that I know of.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by TotalNoob
Fidelity (ending soon), Citi Gold checking, SPG transfers are the three biggest that I know of.
are you talking about the Fidelity Broker account?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:56 pm

Two Barclays cards AOR?

Never had Barclays card and wondering if applying for two at the same time is a good idea. My choice is NFL and US Air. Any thoughts? Also, I just had my first mini AOR (2 Citi and AmEx) less than a month ago, should I wait? No TU pulls within past 2 years.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:02 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I saw that Barclays pulled my TU but the Barclays rep on the phone mentioned my 15+ apps in the past year on Ex/Eq and denied me for 'too many apps'. Already did an AOR this year? Heh good luck with that... I'm not gonna waste anymore pulls on Barcrap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.