Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Redhead:20315146
I don't know if you are male or female, but if you are male, pretending to be a woman on the phone can be pretty tough
Nah, not if he is a high talker. (Seinfeld reference)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:06 pm

Cards for my second app-o-rama?

3 months have passed since my last app party, which consisted of the following cards:

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa

Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa

US Airways Dividend Miles Premier World Mastercard

Hilton HHonors American Express

I'm ready for another round of cc applications, because I will be spending about 5k within the next 3-4 months.

What should my next cards be*?
I'm new to the miles game, so I'm a little confused.

Since I already applied for Chase (I have several of their cards, including the Freedom) I guess I should lay off them for a while, am I right?

I was thinking of doing the following:

Citi Select AAdvantage Amex

Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex

I would have done the AA personal and business cards using the 2-browser trick (does this still work?) and earned myself 100k miles, but I have to spend at least 6k in 4 months for those, and I'm not sure I can cover that.

Are there other cards I could apply for within my spending budget that I missed?

Also 2 questions:

(1) Could I churn the USAir card that I have now?
How would I do that?
Would I first have to cancel the card I have and apply for a new one, or would I simply apply for another identical card and receive the bonus miles? Are there rules preventing me from doing this?

(2) Should I also include these two cards?

Frontier Airlines World MasterCard (Barclay's)

Alaska Airlines Visa Signature (BOA)

I don't ever fly these two airlines, but is there a way they can somehow bring value?

*I'm planning trips to the following countries within the next 3 years (starting in 2014)-- Egypt, Argentina, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep., Colombia, Italy

FYI: I live in Brooklyn, NY
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Do the two Citi cards for 80k (50k and 30k) I think the spending is $3,750 in 3-4 months. If you can add a business card that would bring you to 130k, but also increase your spending.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Most of them have websites you can input details on (phone number, zip, etc) to check status.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:27 pm

I called Chase pretending to be my wife
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Look for the UA 50k promo, there's information about it in the thread for that card. It's a little unclear as to it's status but it's worth looking into.

Also, I'm surprised you don't have the BoH/BoA cards on there. 35kx2 for 70k miles on Hawaiian Airlines. I wouldn't want to fly UA that far in coach, but Hawaiian is much better, they feed you!

There's a Hilton card that gives you two free nights in any Hilton Hotel, that would be worth it. Without knowing which hotels you would want to stay in, or their point value, there's a generic Hilton no fee Amex that has a low spending requirement ($750 in 3m) for 50k points, and a Citi that's $1,500 in 6 months for another 50k points. Both cards come with free silver status.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Nah, not if he is a high talker. (Seinfeld reference)
I was thinking about that as I wrote the post! I somehow knew it would come up - too funny...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by punjabi2
I called Chase pretending to be my wife
How'd that work out for you?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
How about the 50K Amex PR Gold offer? The Amex MR can be transferred to some hotel & airline programs. http://www.creditcards.com/ to see if it's available to you. I had the card & canceled last April so I'll have to wait 2 more months. Sadly, the offer may be gone by then. But I bet it will reappear sometime.
I think I'll have to add this, since you can transfer the points. Might add the Citi Hilton reserve once I'm closer to actually going on this trip.

I really want to add a AirTran card with WN is merging with them, but I think I'm maxed out on Chase after the WN, UA and CSP (or is it 4 cards?).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:17 pm

re

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I think I'll have to add this, since you can transfer the points. Might add the Citi Hilton reserve once I'm closer to actually going on this trip.

I really want to add a AirTran card with WN is merging with them, but I think I'm maxed out on Chase after the WN, UA and CSP (or is it 4 cards?).
Chase limit is subjective some have 5, some are limited to 3....some are limited by total credit line and have to reallocate to get approved...adding business cards with chase is easiest route to 5+ cards.

As far as your gold visa it is probably the lower level version of the signature. I think signature has to have at least 5000 CL if you dont qualify for that, they give you the lesser version. If they still give you the bonus it's no biggie. Some companies (barclay, us bank) will tease you with a big bonus for signature and give you nothing if you only qualify for the lesser card.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wise2u
As far as your gold visa it is probably the lower level version of the signature. I think signature has to have at least 5000 CL if you dont qualify for that, they give you the lesser version. If they still give you the bonus it's no biggie. Some companies (barclay, us bank) will tease you with a big bonus for signature and give you nothing if you only qualify for the lesser card.
I have a 6k CL on the card, which is why I'm confused. I'm just mainly curious as to if I can churn it sooner than the 12-18 months that seems to be standard.

Thanks for the info on Chase, I'll look at adding the AirTran card.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:29 pm
umc

Originally Posted by maulermark
How'd that work out for you?
I think it should work out fine for people with foreign names. I have done it all the time for my wife since she does not like to negotiate.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PainCorp

There is no set limit to how many Chase cards you can have. I've had 5 at a time and others have had 6 or 7. It depends on your income & credit scores.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

I mentioned the Hawaiian cards as a possibility for island hopping, but there is no direct flights on Hawaiian airlines from Cincinnati to Hawaii. I would need to get to Chicago. I am only seeing a 30k offer for the United Mileage explorer card. I'm not sure yet if I'll go for AA or United, they book look pretty cheap. I might end up doing a one way from each if I don't get enough miles. Both would be about 40,000 round trip.

I am thinking about getting 2 Fairmont cards to get 4 nights at the Kea Lani in Maui, and then rack up some Hilton points for 2 nights at the Grand Wailea. Grand Wailea is 80,000/night, so if we each got the 2 Hilton cards we'd be covered there.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kpd905
I mentioned the Hawaiian cards as a possibility for island hopping, but there is no direct flights on Hawaiian airlines from Cincinnati to Hawaii. I would need to get to Chicago. I am only seeing a 30k offer for the United Mileage explorer card. I'm not sure yet if I'll go for AA or United, they book look pretty cheap. I might end up doing a one way from each if I don't get enough miles. Both would be about 40,000 round trip.

I am thinking about getting 2 Fairmont cards to get 4 nights at the Kea Lani in Maui, and then rack up some Hilton points for 2 nights at the Grand Wailea. Grand Wailea is 80,000/night, so if we each got the 2 Hilton cards we'd be covered there.
Even if you can't fly them, they transfer 1:2 to Hilton, which would net you 140k Hilton points. Yes, they aren't worth at much, but it's still something for a small spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.