Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Originally Posted by punjabi2
I am not sure how many in one-go is a safe bet for applying. Some say 5 is good, others mention doing 8-9 in one go. I hope someone experienced than me can chime in.
As people say it depends on your credit history,score and etc
you can do 5 or 6 and wait 5 months and do more
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:42 pm

Where did you find the 50K Virgin Atlantic link? I've only been able to find a 25k offer. If you apply for one of the Chase Ink cards, make it the Bold first. Easier to say you want the option to pay over time later to get the Ink Plus.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:24 pm

I am sorry sound, I cant find that link anymore

I was reading several blogs over the last couple of days, and forgot to save the link. And, now I can't find it. So, may be it is not available. Sorry once again.

Originally Posted by sound48
Where did you find the 50K Virgin Atlantic link? I've only been able to find a 25k offer. If you apply for one of the Chase Ink cards, make it the Bold first. Easier to say you want the option to pay over time later to get the Ink Plus.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:19 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I called once for each card.

But for one card the lady mentioned I got the card 3 months ago and just closed it and I told her I am reapplying because I did not qualify for the correct sign on bonus. I had to close 3 other 1k cards to get both of these to break the 5k barrier.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:59 pm

I applied a couple of days ago

Citi AA Visa - approved
Citi AA Amex - pending (thought I'd spin the coin and try my luck with the recon line after reading about someone here who managed to get it).
Barclays US Air - approved.
Amex Hilton - approved.

Last set of apps was in first week of November (Ink Bold + 2x Citi HHonors)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:24 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Massive AOR plan by newbie - will this work?

Long time reader/lurker, finally decided to take the plunge. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Background:
Completed mortgage refinance 2 weeks back. FICO scores in Nov2012 were 760,791,796. Current credit karma score is 773 with Util Ratio = 4%, Avg Age = 5 yrs 2 mos, Oldest = 11 yrs 8 mos.

Existing cards (7 personal):
Amex Blue (opened 2001)
Amex Costco (opened 6/2010)
BoA Visa Signature (opened 2004)
Capital One Venture Rewards (opened 6/2011)
Chase Freedom (opened 4/2007)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (opened 6/2011)
Discover (opened 2006)

Also have a corporate-issued JPMorgan Chase BritishAir MC (opened 10/2012).

Feb 2013 AOR (proposal - 8 cards in 1 day!?):
Citi Select AAdvantage Amex (50k)
Citi "Gold" AAdvantage MC (30k)
Barclay's US Air MC (35k)
Chase SW RR Plus (personal, 50k)
Chase SW RR Plus (business, 50k)
Chase Ink Bold (business charge, 50k)
BoA Hawaiian Air (35k miles -> 70k HHonors)
Amex Hilton Surpass (60k)

Total points: 395,000
Total minimum spend: $17750 in 4 months
Total 1st year fees: $292

Questions:
1. Can I actually get away with applying for 8 cards in 1 day? Or, should I be less ambitious or spread it out?
2. I know I can do Chase 1 personal + 1 business same day. How about 1 personal + 2 business? (current combined chase credit limit is $23200)
3. Am I doing something stupid?

Again, thanks in advance for any input! What do you say... ^ or or ?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I dont think you can do 2 citi cards at the same time since citi holds applications for 2 browsers trick
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:37 am

Yes that will work. And add in the BoH Hawiian air. Make sure the BoA/BoH are on different browsers not tabs.

3 Chase cards might be a push, 2 is definitely possible... just save the last Chase card for last.

The Barclays application has no verification screen, the button at the bottom applies. Citi has a verification screen. BoA/BoH has a verification screen after "continue".
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:22 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by happy9zz
I dont think you can do 2 citi cards at the same time since citi holds applications for 2 browsers trick
Thanks, but that's why I've listed one platinum + 1 gold combo that people have had success with in the past 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Yes that will work. And add in the BoH Hawiian air. Make sure the BoA/BoH are on different browsers not tabs.

3 Chase cards might be a push, 2 is definitely possible... just save the last Chase card for last.

The Barclays application has no verification screen, the button at the bottom applies. Citi has a verification screen. BoA/BoH has a verification screen after "continue".
Thanks for these useful tips! I am worried about pushing it with Chase too, so I'll save the Ink Bold for last. Anyone else with previous experience doing 3 chase apps?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:14 am

You may want to contemplate the HHonors award changes announced yesterday to decide whether the BoA/BoH apps are worth it given the lowered point value, and immediate annual fees. Similar, perhaps the no annual fee amex instead of Surpass. Or SPG instead.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:17 am

Thanks made, that is something to consider.

Anyone else have any input?

I'm considering getting the Citi AA cards and use those points at hotel stays but I haven't read of anyone doing that

Last edited by sjepps; Feb 20, 2013 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:21 am

Oh yeah the SPG is way more valuable than the BoA/BoH combo. Unless you can get the points to post to your HH account before March 27th and book an AXON I would do SPG since you don't have it. The bonus on it now is 25k I think. Even the 50k Adios bonus is worth more than HH now imo.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by punjabi2
Hello Experts:

After reading this forum (great information, BTW), and making some silly mistakes (in my excitement), I think I am ready to do my first AOR. There are some cards that seem good, but I wanted to run my planning with the gurus here.

Anyhow, we fly to India every 2 years or so. Our major international airport is SFO. Currently, we have miles in UA, Delta, and Priority points. I do get targeted offers for 80K priority points (it has been about 3 months now since my last one). Our credit scores are in 780 range (last time I checked was 3 months ago at the time of refinance).

I have UA Mileage Explorer Card, that is the only card I signed in last year, and probably the only one that offers mileage. Wife is just an AU on my cards (not on UA Mileage Explorer Card though).

Here are the cards that I am thinking of applying in this first round of AOR:

1. Chase united Mileage Explorer Card (60k, if it shows up) and Chase ink bold or plus (50k) for wife. If United Mileage Explorer Card offer does not show up for 60K, is there another card that I can sign her up to get UA miles?

2. For myself, sign up for Chase Sapphire Preferred (40k) and Chase Ink Bold/plus (50K).

3. US Air Card: Will go away and become AA. I think it has 40K miles.

4. Citi AA visa (50K miles)

5. BoA Virgin Atlantic: 50K miles that can be transferred to 100K HHonors miles.

6. BOA Hawaiian Air (35k miles which can be converted to 70k HHonors Points)

7. Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Air (35k miles which can be converted to 70k HHonors Points)

For hotels:

8. AMEX HHonors (50k HHonors points).

9. Do two Citi HHonors (Citi two browser technique, I am reading conflicting reports on two browser trick, mostly that it is dead) for another 80k.

10. And then there is Club Carlson card.

I am not sure of how many cards is enough for one AOR. Is there any other card that I should apply for?

Should I apply for the hotel cards for both of us, or just one of us and then wait for better offers, if any?

Also, none of us are signed for HHonors or Hawaiian air points. Do I need to sign up for them first before I submit my application.

Is there a difference or advantage of doing AOR during a particular day of the week? I see some mention of applying early morning in the beginning of the week so that inquiries are hit within a day or two of each other.

When is it safe to do the next AOR, in 3 months or 6 months?

Do you cancel the cards before the annual fee hits?

Sorry for too many questions, but as you can understand, this is my first time doing this, and so am naturally scared.

Thanks everyone. It is an amazing forum...
Hilton miles has just been devalued, so good luck there
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:38 am

that looks good but i would drop all point-based hilton cards. keep the reserve application.

see if you want 70k hawaiian air miles because transferring them to hilton is no longer a good value.

you can look at the hyatt and marriott hotel card instead. i wouldnt do more than 8 apps because they tend to timeout. and i think waitings 6 months not 3 after this AOR would probably be required because of so many apps (im in the same boat i just applied for 7)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:43 am

thats crazy how many apps did you have in the past 6 months for barclays to approve? only those 2? not a big churner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.