Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Closed Thread

Old Feb 10, 14, 7:06 am
  #2251  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Live in Columbia, MO. Fly COU, STL, or MCI.
Posts: 95
Another idea for lodging:

Fairmont credit cards from Chase give you two free nights anywhere. If you and your S/O each get a card, that's 4 nights at Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. They also give you certs for free breakfast.
blt7cd is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 7:29 am
  #2252  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by jordandawg05 View Post
cool, i'll have to check UR mall ! oh i didn't even think car rental yet !! i guess i need to add that to the list of expenses and plan for it. i guess the international places i visited i didn't dare to drive but i guess maybe its feasible in Hawaii this time around.
Book your car rental from http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Trust me. I am going to Hawaii tomorrow. Both Maui and Oahu. The UR Mall doesn't save you anything compared to the prices on that website above. The rates are at least 50-75% off any other website that I found. You don't need a CC to reserve if you happen to find something cheaper (which you won't), but the prices may fall on that website as time goes on and you can just rebook.
ibleed0range is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 7:29 am
  #2253  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by blt7cd View Post
Another idea for lodging:

Fairmont credit cards from Chase give you two free nights anywhere. If you and your S/O each get a card, that's 4 nights at Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. They also give you certs for free breakfast.
my wife doesn't have alot of card history ( only a 1.5 years) , she's from over seas so just starting out with her so i can try to get her more than one chase card but i think it may be hard as she was already declined for a freedom like 7 months ago. she has a good score 740 but not enough history. i may go for the fairmont on my own but i may have to shift some credit ...cancel Marriott and IHG ( even though i do wana keep the IHG one).

i would love for both of us to get both hyatt and fairmont cards that'll be like enough for what we need but i am maxed ( i think with chase) and she doesn't have enough history...

which is a better property andaz Maui ( hayatt) or the Fairmont Kea Lani?
they both seem to be good but if i may go for one which one (in your opinion) is good for two.
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 2:04 pm
  #2254  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by blt7cd View Post
Another idea for lodging:

Fairmont credit cards from Chase give you two free nights anywhere. If you and your S/O each get a card, that's 4 nights at Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. They also give you certs for free breakfast.
which card is better hyatt or fairmont? i was learning toward hyatt . i think i will be the one applying with chase because my wife has limited history so i think we will go with at least one chase card for 2 night stay.

that leaves me with 5 other nights i need to take care off. what other options do i have ? i have 20k spg and i was thinking of having my wife sign up with an SPG card to get 30k points there that we can combine so i MAY get 60k points good for 3 nights at the Sheraton. SPG is increasing the category for the sheraton Maui which sucks but i don't think i can book the nights with the low spg points w/o having all the points on hand.

so far i have Hyatt/Fairmont for 2 nights
SPG? business card or wife's personal for a total of 60lk so ONE spg card could be in play. that would give us 3 possible nights . is 60k worth the 3 nights? each night is aprox 400 dollars. that would give me .02 cents per point. i think thats decent value.
same with hyatt...require 20k per night and i currently have 30k UR points that i can transfer to hyatt ...i can get additional 10k UR points for total of two additional hyatt nights.

chase card = 1
spg card = 1
using 40k additional UR
using 20k additional SPG points.

buying transferring 40 UR that would give me at least 4 nights at hyatt and possible 5th free? ( have to check into that). then use SPG points for 3 nights which give me 7 nights in Maui at two good hotels.

thoughts anyone? should i go for Hilton points ? this way i can use what i currently have and sign up with two cards ( one with chase and one with spg amex)
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:31 pm
  #2255  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 274
There is a dedicated Hilton and Hyatt forum where you might get more help and you can read resort reviews.

For me Hawaii is all about the view, but I'm spoiled. Once you get rooms squared away look into activities. I think it is the TYP from Citi someone wrote about using to pay for activities. Dig around MR site too. Maybe not the best value redemption but I think any redemption that allows you to do something you otherwise could not do is a good value.

There are forums like this on the topic of credit and credit scores. The people that post are very knowledgable. There are a few things you might be able to do to increase your wife's credit score and show a longer history.

If you have a card with a long history that has always been paid on time and you add her as an authorized user it will show on her credit report and it may show up with the same age of account as you have. This is called piggybacking. I did this for my kids with a 20 year old Chase card and it did improve their scores and allow them to get their own cards.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/

There are other factors that you can effect. Credit mix is easy and has a fairly large impact. Installment loans are important, but harder to just go out and get, a store credit card is easy. Many will give anyone with an ID an account with a really low limit. Try Old Navy, or Target. These cards have no annual fee so open one and keep it forever to build up average age of accounts. Charge on it once a year to keep it open. It will result in an inquirery/hard pull but in the long run is worth while. Read the ficoforums!
Haleyb is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:39 pm
  #2256  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Posts: 390
For hotel stays. I did 50k UR to hyatt for 2 nights at a andaz Maui. Then I am doing 200k hilton for 5 nights in HNL at the HHV. You could get away at doing 160k at hilton Waikiki instead of the Hawaiian village. This was done with citi hilton x2 plus buying VR at cvs for x3 per $.
ac921ol is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 7:56 am
  #2257  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by Haleyb View Post
There is a dedicated Hilton and Hyatt forum where you might get more help and you can read resort reviews.

For me Hawaii is all about the view, but I'm spoiled. Once you get rooms squared away look into activities. I think it is the TYP from Citi someone wrote about using to pay for activities. Dig around MR site too. Maybe not the best value redemption but I think any redemption that allows you to do something you otherwise could not do is a good value.

There are forums like this on the topic of credit and credit scores. The people that post are very knowledgable. There are a few things you might be able to do to increase your wife's credit score and show a longer history.

If you have a card with a long history that has always been paid on time and you add her as an authorized user it will show on her credit report and it may show up with the same age of account as you have. This is called piggybacking. I did this for my kids with a 20 year old Chase card and it did improve their scores and allow them to get their own cards.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/

There are other factors that you can effect. Credit mix is easy and has a fairly large impact. Installment loans are important, but harder to just go out and get, a store credit card is easy. Many will give anyone with an ID an account with a really low limit. Try Old Navy, or Target. These cards have no annual fee so open one and keep it forever to build up average age of accounts. Charge on it once a year to keep it open. It will result in an inquirery/hard pull but in the long run is worth while. Read the ficoforums!
Thanks for the information, i did start a few months ago to work on my wifes credit score. I did add her to my amex card (member since 02) so that should have helped right?

she did apply for discover IT and has a BOA credit card as a start. I also refinanced my car and added her on the loan. i could have her apply for a store card as well but rather her apply for a real card.
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 8:40 am
  #2258  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
For hotel stays. I did 50k UR to hyatt for 2 nights at a andaz Maui. Then I am doing 200k hilton for 5 nights in HNL at the HHV. You could get away at doing 160k at hilton Waikiki instead of the Hawaiian village. This was done with citi hilton x2 plus buying VR at cvs for x3 per $.
the only hotels in Maui that i can see is the Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort and Ho olei at Grand Wailea. The grand Wailea is only available for my days in July...those are 95000 per night or 200 dollars plus 38000 points. I could do the cash and points , 200 is acceptable for us to pay for 3 nights = 600. the 4 other nights i could do with two cert from hyatt card and UR points. i guess i need to hit citi cards .

so you signed up for two citi hilton cards?
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:03 pm
  #2259  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
so for a 7 night stay here's what i currently thinking.

Citi HH reserve , 2 free weekend nights
Amex no annual 50k HH card - cash and points 300 plus 38k HH to complete HH three nights.
chase Hyatt card - 2 night stay along with 50k UR points.

that would give me 7 nights with a total cost of $200...I could have my wife do an amex HH 50k, transfer to my account and get an additional night for HH.

so 3 cards to accomplish this with 50k UR points ( currently have 30k but can manage 20k more in 2.5 months).
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:28 pm
  #2260  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by jordandawg05 View Post
the only hotels in Maui that i can see is the Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort and Ho olei at Grand Wailea. The grand Wailea is only available for my days in July...those are 95000 per night or 200 dollars plus 38000 points. I could do the cash and points , 200 is acceptable for us to pay for 3 nights = 600. the 4 other nights i could do with two cert from hyatt card and UR points. i guess i need to hit citi cards .

so you signed up for two citi hilton cards?
Yup, applied for Citi No AF cards and got the bonus.
ac921ol is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:51 pm
  #2261  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 72
New Years in Maui

Im on board with this for New Years. Set up 2 one way flights on Hawaiin from NYC using wifes points on Hawaiian Barclay. 40K points gets me back to DCA on Alaska (got the 50k sign up bonus). 3 nights at SPG Westin Maui (must book b4 March 5 at 12,000 a night instead of 20,000). 4 free nights at Fairmont using sign up bonuses for my wife and I, and 2 free nights using rewards from Hyatt card. My cost $20 plus resort fees ($250). do it!
Lekuxs15 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:57 pm
  #2262  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
Yup, applied for Citi No AF cards and got the bonus.
so you got the reserve from City and the regular citi HH at the same time? so you can get the two bonuses?
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:18 pm
  #2263  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 2,276
Originally Posted by jordandawg05 View Post
so you got the reserve from City and the regular citi HH at the same time? so you can get the two bonuses?
Head on over to the Citi HH forum if you like. You can get a Citi card every 35 days or so and no limit to regular (50K) cards. As well as the Reserve.
KennyBSAT is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:29 pm
  #2264  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT View Post
Head on over to the Citi HH forum if you like. You can get a Citi card every 35 days or so and no limit to regular (50K) cards. As well as the Reserve.
gotcha, that'll be great if i can do two rounds...i only need 3 HH cards it seems from what i need. reserve gives me 2 weekend nights and that leaves me with 1 night at 95k so can sign up for an amex 50k and another 50k city to fit my needs...i'll head to HH form to make sure i got my details correct though. my concern if i keep churning HH cards it will be bad for credit so just need to get 95k for the extra night needed.

thanks !
jordandawg05 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread