Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:43 am

The annual fee on my Marriott Premier posted about 7 days ago. I would like to do an AOR within the next few days including the United card. I am pretty sure Chase is not gonna let me open a new card without cancelling/moving credit from another card (I have 6 Chase cards...4 personal/2 biz). My Marriott Premier only has a 2.5k CL, and is the first card I'd like to offer up (I'm more than fine cancelling it OR moving some CL off of it).

Should I pay the AF prior to my AOR? Would the fact that the Marriott card has a balance (only the AF) on it inhibit the ability of the CSR to close that account (in order to open a new one)?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jarpkor
Intended cards: (in order of application)

1. US Bank Club Carlson
2. Barclay Arrival
3. Southwest Plus Business
4. Southwest Plus Personal (going for that companion pass!)
5. Starwood Amex Business
6. Starwood Amex Personal

CreditKarma: 730

Current Cards (with date of account opening and CL):

11/2010 CapitalOne Platinum $200
3/2011 Chase Freedom $1500
6/2013 Discover It $1800
6/2013 Amex BlueCash Everyday $4800
7/2013 Chase Amtrak $4500

Current credit utilization: 12%
AAoA: 1 year 8 mo
Perfect Payment History

Too many cards? Switch around the order? Is it even necessary to freeze secondary credit bureaus for US Bank since I don't have *that* many inquiries?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Southwest 50k promotions (to reach 100k of the 110k CPQMs) currently dead? I think I've seen one promo for the Southwest Premiere Personal for 50k but the others appear to be 25k - unless that's what you are going for. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ladoo420
Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Southwest 50k promotions (to reach 100k of the 110k CPQMs) currently dead? I think I've seen one promo for the Southwest Premiere Personal for 50k but the others appear to be 25k - unless that's what you are going for. Thanks!
You are mistaken.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MilesGator
The annual fee on my Marriott Premier posted about 7 days ago. I would like to do an AOR within the next few days including the United card. I am pretty sure Chase is not gonna let me open a new card without cancelling/moving credit from another card (I have 6 Chase cards...4 personal/2 biz). My Marriott Premier only has a 2.5k CL, and is the first card I'd like to offer up (I'm more than fine cancelling it OR moving some CL off of it).

Should I pay the AF prior to my AOR? Would the fact that the Marriott card has a balance (only the AF) on it inhibit the ability of the CSR to close that account (in order to open a new one)?
Shouldn't matter.

If it was me and I was looking to close the card (or at least move over the CL and then close the account), I would keep it open and not pay the AF. The last thing you want is to close the card and have paid the AF (although, they may be like AMEX and send you a check within so many days of paying AF).

Regardless, I believe that the United Explorer card is a Visa Signature so you will need to move over a limit at least of $5k, which would not be enough just using your Marriott. In case of recon, be ready to choose another card to move over some credit.

In short, you paying the AF is the last thing on Chase's mind when they decide whether to approve you or not.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ladoo420
Thanks for your response. Yes they are currently dead, but I believe they come back every other month or so, right? Considering that, I'll just wait until they're back on again to do my AoR. OR just apply for club carlson and barclay arrival, then hold off on the rest of my apps til the WN 50k offers come back.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:15 pm

Sorry if this has already been explained previously in the thread, but can someone inform me as to what the purpose of an AOR is? I.e., why not just apply as you are finishing the minimum spend on a previous card? Why do all applications at once? Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by healthnut
Shouldn't matter.

If it was me and I was looking to close the card (or at least move over the CL and then close the account), I would keep it open and not pay the AF. The last thing you want is to close the card and have paid the AF (although, they may be like AMEX and send you a check within so many days of paying AF).

Regardless, I believe that the United Explorer card is a Visa Signature so you will need to move over a limit at least of $5k, which would not be enough just using your Marriott. In case of recon, be ready to choose another card to move over some credit.
There are plenty of data points in which your comment is not true. I beleive it was true at once point that the CL had to be 5K+
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by llbad
Sorry if this has already been explained previously in the thread, but can someone inform me as to what the purpose of an AOR is? I.e., why not just apply as you are finishing the minimum spend on a previous card? Why do all applications at once? Thanks!
I truly think you need to look this up yourself, FT is wealth of info that will answer this question for you... You might want to start with this thread....
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:24 am

Recently did a round, only had 1 credit card before this, TU 750, Exp 713

12/03/13 Chase Freedom 20k (Call recon to confirm identity)
12/03/13 Chase Sapphire Preferred 55k (Call recon to confirm identity)
12/04/13 Discover IT (Instant Approval)
12/04/13 Amex SPG Personal 25k (Instant Approval)
12/10/13 Barclays US Airways 35k (Instant Approval)

Should I end it now or should I app for more?

Thinking about:
USBank Club Carlson
Chase British Airways
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Citi AA Platinum Personal

When do AAoA get updated because if it has then my AAoA should be like 3 months or something right now...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ktkw
Recently did a round, only had 1 credit card before this, TU 750, Exp 713

12/03/13 Chase Freedom 20k (Call recon to confirm identity)
12/03/13 Chase Sapphire Preferred 55k (Call recon to confirm identity)
12/04/13 Discover IT (Instant Approval)
12/04/13 Amex SPG Personal 25k (Instant Approval)
12/10/13 Barclays US Airways 35k (Instant Approval)

Should I end it now or should I app for more?

Thinking about:
USBank Club Carlson
Chase British Airways
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Citi AA Platinum Personal

When do AAoA get updated because if it has then my AAoA should be like 3 months or something right now...
Do them all.... Don't wait, sprint to the end......
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I applied and was approved for two Citi Hilton HHonors visas last December via the two browser trick. Both cards are still open. Is it possible for me to apply for another one soon?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by agp423
I applied and was approved for two Citi Hilton HHonors visas last December via the two browser trick. Both cards are still open. Is it possible for me to apply for another one soon?
Yes, and every 35 days or so, subject to the rules for all Citi cards which are spelled out in the AA card thread. There seems to be no limit to the number of HH cards you can have, and they do NOT have the 12-26 month wait that AA cards have.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jarpkor
Thanks for your response. Yes they are currently dead, but I believe they come back every other month or so, right? Considering that, I'll just wait until they're back on again to do my AoR. OR just apply for club carlson and barclay arrival, then hold off on the rest of my apps til the WN 50k offers come back.
No worries. I don't think they come back every month or so; 2-3x a year is more realistic if looking back from this past year (when I got into this "game").

Looks like the SW Premiere Personal and Business are both alive and offer the 50k w/ the $99 AF and $2k spend requirements. If you don't have those it might be worth doing the AoR now. Your original list for the AoR is promising. I'd also look at adding a card or two from Citi (HHoners or AA), BoA (currently have an Alaska Airlines 50k promo), and Amex depending on your spending bandwidth/time. The Chase British Airways 100k avios promo is still alive as well until 12/31 if you search FT - albeit with a $20k spend requirement to achieve the full 100k; I'd recommend the Chase SW cards over this offer though. Gluck.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
First mini-app-o-rama complete!

I have about 6 credit cards already, including 2 store-specific ones. Here's my run from yesterday. I plan to call and up credit limits later, but I just wanted to get my foot in the door.

Amex Blue Preferred - $100 bonus + Amazon Prime - Instant approval - $15k
Discover It - $75 Amazon GC?? - Instant approval - $3.5k
Chase Ink Plus - 50,000 pts - had to call in and answer questions about my "business" - $5k
Chase Freedom - $200 bonus - had to call in and was originally denied due to too many recent inquiries. The rep figured it was b/c of the business card. Asked a few questions - $5k
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I truly think you need to look this up yourself, FT is wealth of info that will answer this question for you... You might want to start with this thread....

so instead of typing the likely 1 or 2 sentence response that would have answered my question, you reply with a douchey response telling me to dig through 137 pages of info to find my relatively simple answer. I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything, but come on man... sometimes things just simply need to be reinstated, due to the nature of forums. This is how all forums work not just flyertalk

from wikipedia:

"Reasons for an App-O-Rama
There are many reasons one might perform an App-O-Rama:
To obtain many balance transfer offers, to move higher rate debts to a lower rate; or to use 0% funds to invest in money market account or high interest savings. This practice is often known as stoozing, and was first made popular in the UK.
To obtain as many signup bonus rewards as possible.
To establish or build credit history."

All of these can be obtained by applying for cards one at a time. Which was why I asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.