Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by dawhipsaw
I would double dip the Citi AAs today and again before the end of August, get the SPG card today while the 30k is active, and then wait the 65 days for another round of AoR which would include another Chase card and Citi card. So on roughly 10/25/13 or so plan an AoR for whatever is the best Citi card, Chase BA, go for the Barclays, and maybe another Amex of choice that fits your needs.
Thanks for the response. I decided to risk it on the Chase BA card and got instant approval! Less than 60 days between Chase apps. Also instant approval on the Citi AA. Will go for the double dip in 8 days. I would have done the SPG too but not sure I can meet the minimum spend for all 4 (I'm a little too lazy for much MS).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:04 pm

Question on App timing.

On 7/29 I applied and was approved for:

Delta Gold Skymiles Amex
Amex Blue Cash
Chase Ink Plus
Barclays Arrival World Mastercard
Alaska Airlines BOA card

I'd like to get in on the Amex SPG and Citi AA promotions.

Currently if I wait the 90 days I am at Halloween before another AOR, but is it possible to jump on the both of these promotions and then load up again for the same time (Halloween)?

The cards I will be applying for in my next go round for sure are:

CSP
MB Amex Plat

And I haven't thought further.

I'm mostly interested in the AMEX Plat and the CSP, will the pulls relatively close together affect me when I go in for those apps?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simz
Barclays instant approval.. now that's something I hadn't heard in a long time #luckyyou
Not true, I did CSP,IHG, and United, SPG, Delta Gold, Citi and US Air and was approved, the Delta Gold, I had to wait a week before I got approval, but the US Card was instant, now US Bank is the one that is tough... That will be one of my 3 next cards.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jbrooklyn
I'm assuming the Citi AA card will be easy enough to get right now, but I've also been reading that you should wait 90 days between Chase apps. How hard and fast is that rule? I don't want to do something stupid (again) and have to sit on the Chase sidelines for another 3 months, since I'm also looking forward to the CSP in a future AOR. On the other hand, I was also thinking about the SPG card as a possible alternative way of getting Avios, if applying for Chase again so soon seems like a bad idea. Thanks for any advice!
If you "really" read this thread, then you would know this is a marathon, not a sprint race.

IF AA and BA are your main concern, then focus on Citi cards, and just the Chase BA card. By the end of this month, we will have over 650K AA miles because Citi has open the flood channel. I have Four Chase Cards, Freedom (had for three years), CSP, IHG and United. I wont be going after another Chase card for a while. I don't want chase to close me off. The worse thing you can do it try and push the AOR too quick.

If you are not reading some of he bloggers then you are missing out on some great info, ex. We are going on a trip to Vermont and NYC, was able to buy 200K IHG points for a whopping $639, our Intercontinental hotel in NYC cost $550/n or 50K/n so for $639 saved us over $1400....
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wellington
I'd like to get in on the Amex SPG and Citi AA promotions.

Currently if I wait the 90 days I am at Halloween before another AOR, but is it possible to jump on the both of these promotions and then load up again for the same time (Halloween)?

The cards I will be applying for in my next go round for sure are:

CSP
MB Amex Plat

And I haven't thought further.

I'm mostly interested in the AMEX Plat and the CSP, will the pulls relatively close together affect me when I go in for those apps?
Why the MB PLT?

Since you haven't gone after the Citi cards, I would start on them you should be able to get two of the cards before the end of month when the 50K miles go away.

Amex card SPG might be too early, they can be tough.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
beginner. advise please!

With 710-720 credit on the three bureaus, I'm planning to apply to a couple of cards with bonuses. I'm thinking about Amex (Plat?), United's card (got the 50k offer) and Marriott (got the70k offer).

Some issues though: my credit history is just 6mo old; my only credit card is a BoA secured card with only a $1300 line and I've had four pulls (two for cards I thought I could get, one from AT&T and one from my tenant). I've never missed a payment, around 100k yearly income, no debt and I can bring my utilization down to 1% if needed. I also have an Amex corporate card if it makes any difference.

I assume I should wait before applying for cards, the question is how long? I'm not trying to get them all at the same time -my monthly spend around 2k, too low to hit many bonuses at the same time. How long should I wait? Should I try "easier" cards first?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by mbece
With 710-720 credit on the three bureaus, I'm planning to apply to a couple of cards with bonuses. I'm thinking about Amex (Plat?), United's card (got the 50k offer) and Marriott (got the70k offer).

Some issues though: my credit history is just 6mo old; my only credit card is a BoA secured card with only a $1300 line and I've had four pulls (two for cards I thought I could get, one from AT&T and one from my tenant). I've never missed a payment, around 100k yearly income, no debt and I can bring my utilization down to 1% if needed. I also have an Amex corporate card if it makes any difference.

I assume I should wait before applying for cards, the question is how long? I'm not trying to get them all at the same time -my monthly spend around 2k, too low to hit many bonuses at the same time. How long should I wait? Should I try "easier" cards first?
I would go with an American Express card such as the current SPG. The problem with a lot of Visa and Mastercards such as the United card, is that they require a minimum credit line of 5k, and with you limited history the banks may not want to give you that. I would also get a no annual fee card such as the Freedom card.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
If you "really" read this thread, then you would know this is a marathon, not a sprint race.

IF AA and BA are your main concern, then focus on Citi cards, and just the Chase BA card. By the end of this month, we will have over 650K AA miles because Citi has open the flood channel. I have Four Chase Cards, Freedom (had for three years), CSP, IHG and United. I wont be going after another Chase card for a while. I don't want chase to close me off. The worse thing you can do it try and push the AOR too quick.

If you are not reading some of he bloggers then you are missing out on some great info, ex. We are going on a trip to Vermont and NYC, was able to buy 200K IHG points for a whopping $639, our Intercontinental hotel in NYC cost $550/n or 50K/n so for $639 saved us over $1400....
Yes, I've read you make that point before and appreciate the wisdom - though it can be hard to really hear it when you're just starting out and all these bloggers are screaming about rare deals that are about to expire (hello, SPG)!

As I said, in the end I did just go for Citi AA and Chase BA, instant approval on both. Now I'll try to take your advice and hold off on Chase for awhile while I continue to milk the Citi cow for as long as that lasts--here's hoping the new MC link extends its lifespan.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm putting together an AOR for my wife (wanting to do Chase United, Amex SPG, US Bank Club Carlson Premier, and 2 x Citi AA) - if I apply for the 1st Citi AA card today, would it make more sense to lump the other cards on it TODAY, or apply for all of them with the 2nd Citi AA application in 8-9 days? Or some combination...I'm not sure we'll be able to get the US Bank Club Carlson approved if they see any recent inquiries.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 pm

Why the MB PLT?

Since you haven't gone after the Citi cards, I would start on them you should be able to get two of the cards before the end of month when the 50K miles go away.

Amex card SPG might be too early, they can be tough.
MB Plat just has a higher sign up bonus at the moment.

Thanks for the advice, ill apply for the first Citi AA card tonight.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
I'm putting together an AOR for my wife (wanting to do Chase United, Amex SPG, US Bank Club Carlson Premier, and 2 x Citi AA) - if I apply for the 1st Citi AA card today, would it make more sense to lump the other cards on it TODAY, or apply for all of them with the 2nd Citi AA application in 8-9 days? Or some combination...I'm not sure we'll be able to get the US Bank Club Carlson approved if they see any recent inquiries.

Thanks!
Apply for all of the cards in your AOR lumped together today starting with US Bank first then in 8-9 days go for the 2nd AA Visa seperately.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jbrooklyn
Yes, I've read you make that point before and appreciate the wisdom - though it can be hard to really hear it when you're just starting out and all these bloggers are screaming about rare deals that are about to expire (hello, SPG)!

As I said, in the end I did just go for Citi AA and Chase BA, instant approval on both. Now I'll try to take your advice and hold off on Chase for awhile while I continue to milk the Citi cow for as long as that lasts--here's hoping the new MC link extends its lifespan.
Some of the bloggers will also point out that history usually repeats itself just like the SPG card, so sit back grasshopper the big deals will come back around, the 100K BA card is another one, I just finished all the spend on that card, and will cancel it in 2 weeks.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dajoip

Thanks!
Do all cards today, however, apply for the US Bank card first, since they do not like seeing multi apps on the same day, so do them first and they will be the first card.. Do the citi card today and wait 8 days to do the second one, this will give you 100K if approved.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kiyaj
Apply for all of the cards in your AOR lumped together today starting with US Bank first then in 8-9 days go for the 2nd AA Visa seperately.
Do all cards today, however, apply for the US Bank card first, since they do not like seeing multi apps on the same day, so do them first and they will be the first card.. Do the citi card today and wait 8 days to do the second one, this will give you 100K if approved.
Just went 4/4 (all instant approvals!) on:
  1. (60k) US Bank Club Carlson Platinum
  2. (55k) Chase UA MileagePlus
  3. (30k) Amex SPG personal
  4. (50k) Citi AA Platinum
I'm going to go for the 2nd Citi AA card 8-9 days from now - fingers crossed!

Last edited by dajoip; Aug 23, 2013 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:01 pm

I had a couple questions about order as well. Applying for:

Barclays Arrival
SPG Business
United Business
Alaska Airlines
Citi 50K Visa (second will be a week later)

I'm planning on applying on Barclays first, suggestions on order otherwise?
I've seen the 25, 30, and 40k Alaskan offers. How churnable are they? Trying to decide which one to go for and only have 1 BOA card (Hawaiian Airlines) and not much history with them.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.