Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:48 am

We never add spouse as AU to the cards when we do AOR. Still, we share the spending evethough the cards do not have the name of the shopper. VERY few places match id and if they do, use a card with the name of the shopper on it.

I think SIS (fatwallet) recommend this as well.

Originally Posted by simz
I did my first AoR sometime back and got my wife add on cards with all of them, so that all her spends go to my purpose.. now all of then are showing on my CK account.. I don't remember giving her SSN when I applied for add on cards, but I might be mistaken..

Now I am wondering should I close those add on cards, before I do her AoR or should I let them stay.. will it effect her chance of getting the same credit card, if it's already showing on her account..
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:02 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by ftbargain
We never add spouse as AU to the cards when we do AOR. Still, we share the spending evethough the cards do not have the name of the shopper. VERY few places match id and if they do, use a card with the name of the shopper on it.

I think SIS (fatwallet) recommend this as well.
Hmm.. but the question is, now that i have made the mistake, what do I do.. should i call the banks and get her cards deactivated before going through her AoR ..???
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:53 am

I've been reading as much as possible and have figured out what I WANT my next AOR to be, but I'm not sure if it's doable. I did my first AOR June 27, but stupidly didn't check what I assumed was my pristine credit and got rejected for 2 of the 3 because of a recent bank reporting error I didn't know about. I've got that fixed on Experian (which almost all banks pull from in my area) but it's still not showing up on TransUnion (which Barclays pulls from). So here's my record of inquiries from the last 12 months:

1/15/13: AA Citi 40k (accepted)
6/27/13: Chase United MP 50k (accepted)
6/27/13: BarclayCard Arrival (rejected)
6/27/13: Cap1 VR (rejected)

After more reading I realized that AA and BA miles have the most value for me, and I have a couple trips coming up soonish, so I really want to jump on the Citi AA and Chase BA offers that expire really soon--and if I want to double dip on the Citi AA, I need to apply within the next couple days, if I understand correctly.

I also still want the Arrival card, but I've read here that they're really tough. (I called them to reconsider given my situation and they said they'd have to do a hard pull again--this was before I realized TU hadn't resolved it, but I said no anyway because I wasn't sure about the impacts for this coming AOR). I have a letter from the bank saying they've notified the credit bureaus of the error, but do folks here have any experience with whether things like that work with Barclays? I don't want to waste another hard pull.

I'm assuming the Citi AA card will be easy enough to get right now, but I've also been reading that you should wait 90 days between Chase apps. How hard and fast is that rule? I don't want to do something stupid (again) and have to sit on the Chase sidelines for another 3 months, since I'm also looking forward to the CSP in a future AOR. On the other hand, I was also thinking about the SPG card as a possible alternative way of getting Avios, if applying for Chase again so soon seems like a bad idea. Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:34 pm

I would double dip the Citi AAs today and again before the end of August, get the SPG card today while the 30k is active, and then wait the 65 days for another round of AoR which would include another Chase card and Citi card. So on roughly 10/25/13 or so plan an AoR for whatever is the best Citi card, Chase BA, go for the Barclays, and maybe another Amex of choice that fits your needs.

Originally Posted by jbrooklyn
I've been reading as much as possible and have figured out what I WANT my next AOR to be, but I'm not sure if it's doable. I did my first AOR June 27, but stupidly didn't check what I assumed was my pristine credit and got rejected for 2 of the 3 because of a recent bank reporting error I didn't know about. I've got that fixed on Experian (which almost all banks pull from in my area) but it's still not showing up on TransUnion (which Barclays pulls from). So here's my record of inquiries from the last 12 months:

1/15/13: AA Citi 40k (accepted)
6/27/13: Chase United MP 50k (accepted)
6/27/13: BarclayCard Arrival (rejected)
6/27/13: Cap1 VR (rejected)

After more reading I realized that AA and BA miles have the most value for me, and I have a couple trips coming up soonish, so I really want to jump on the Citi AA and Chase BA offers that expire really soon--and if I want to double dip on the Citi AA, I need to apply within the next couple days, if I understand correctly.

I also still want the Arrival card, but I've read here that they're really tough. (I called them to reconsider given my situation and they said they'd have to do a hard pull again--this was before I realized TU hadn't resolved it, but I said no anyway because I wasn't sure about the impacts for this coming AOR). I have a letter from the bank saying they've notified the credit bureaus of the error, but do folks here have any experience with whether things like that work with Barclays? I don't want to waste another hard pull.

I'm assuming the Citi AA card will be easy enough to get right now, but I've also been reading that you should wait 90 days between Chase apps. How hard and fast is that rule? I don't want to do something stupid (again) and have to sit on the Chase sidelines for another 3 months, since I'm also looking forward to the CSP in a future AOR. On the other hand, I was also thinking about the SPG card as a possible alternative way of getting Avios, if applying for Chase again so soon seems like a bad idea. Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:36 pm

Hello, I've been reading posts and blogs for quite a while. I'm planning my 2nd AoR, my first was 1 year ago so all the annual fees are coming up. Here is my plan and any advice is appreciated.

San Diego, CA
Credit Sesame: 733
PLUS Score from Amex: 731
Credit Karma & Quizzle: 709
(Score is lower than it should be because of a high balance which will be paid down)
I have an S-Corp to use for biz cards and min spends aren't a big problem.

Cards I have:
- CSP
- Amex SPG
- Amex PRG
- Amex Gold Delta Skymiles
- CapOne Venture
- I had a Barclays US Airways but it was cancelled by Barclays within the 1st month bcuz of too many inquiries, but I kept the miles.
- Some other older credit cards I don't use

Cards to apply:
- Chase Ink Plus (50k w/ $5k in 3 mos.)
- Chase BA Visa Signature (50k w/ $2k in 3 mos.)
- Amex SPG Business (30k w/ $5k in 6 mos.)
- Amex Business Gold Rewards (50k w/ $5k in 3 mos.)
- Citi AA Personal Plat Visa (50k w/ $3k in 3 mos.) (Apply for #2 8 days after)
- Barclays US Airways (35k w/ first purchase)

My plan is to
1. Ask for af waive for CSP but will probably pay and keep if declined or threaten to cancel and hope for retention bonus
2. Cancel my SPG Personal if no af waive
3. Cancel PRG if no af waive (Will have to make sure Biz Gold Rewards is linked to same MR account so not to lose my MR)
4. Cancel Delta if no af waive (Can I use to bargain for new Amex if they are biz cards?)
5. Cancel Venture if no af waive

I've done lots of research but still feel pretty amateur at this. Any ideas on how to improve this are greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Hey all. Here's the cards I currently have:

Chase Freedom (July 2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (July 2012) - which I will probably downgrade to the regular version to avoid AF
American Amex Gold (April 2013)
Starwood Amex Gold (March 2013)
Ink Bold (April 2013)
US Airways Mastercard (April 2013)

Planning my next AOR and thinking of getting:

SPG Amex Biz
AA Citi (to start the churning cycle - and to hopefully capitalize on the status challenge)
Choice Hotels (undecided, but there is no annual fee and as a platinum I would get extra perks)

I'm also thinking of applying for either the Chase Marriott (70k) OR the Chase Biz United (50k). I'm currently platinum with Marriott, so the 15 nights wouldn't really help me very much. However, I also have the free luggage benefits on United so I don't know if the card would help me either. I don't know how which bonus is more likely to go away first. Could I apply for a personal and business Chase on the same day? I plan to apply for the SW card down the road when they open up their 50k promotion again.

I think I'm going to hold off on applying for any more Barclays, since I'll wait 6 months and see if I can get another US Airways card.

I'm also open to applying for other cards. I'm a business traveler who has a LOT of reimbursable expenses. I spend about $6,000 a month in charges that I get back Restaurants, Airlines, Hotels, and Rental Cars are my 3 biggest expenses.

I'm platinum with the following chains (mostly thru challenges or status matches): Marriott, Starwood, IHG, Choice, Hyatt.

Do not have any status on any airline, but do have perks thru Starwood and Marriott with Delta and United, respectively.

Any help you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by whatmakes; Aug 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by whatmakes
Hey all. Here's the cards I currently have:

Chase Freedom (July 2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (July 2012) - which I will probably downgrade to the regular version to avoid AF
American Amex Gold (April 2013)
Starwood Amex Gold (March 2013)
Ink Bold (April 2013)
US Airways Mastercard (April 2013)

Planning my next AOR and thinking of getting:

SPG Amex Biz
AA Citi (to start the churning cycle - and to hopefully capitalize on the status challenge)
Choice Hotels (undecided, but there is no annual fee and as a platinum I would get extra perks)

I'm also thinking of applying for either the Chase Marriott (70k) OR the Chase Biz United (50k). I'm currently platinum with Marriott, so the 15 nights wouldn't really help me very much. However, I also have the free luggage benefits on United so I don't know if the card would help me either. I don't know how which bonus is more likely to go away first. Could I apply for a personal and business Chase on the same day? I plan to apply for the SW card down the road when they open up their 50k promotion again.

I think I'm going to hold off on applying for any more Barclays, since I'll wait 6 months and see if I can get another US Airways card.

I'm also open to applying for other cards. I'm a business traveler who has a LOT of reimbursable expenses. I spend about $6,000 a month in charges that I get back Restaurants, Airlines, Hotels, and Rental Cars are my 3 biggest expenses.

I'm platinum with the following chains (mostly thru challenges or status matches): Marriott, Starwood, IHG, Choice, Hyatt.

Do not have any status on any airline, but do have perks thru Starwood and Marriott with Delta and United, respectively.

Any help you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!
Yes, you can apply for a Chase personal and biz card on same day.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
Yes, you can apply for a Chase personal and biz card on same day.

Thanks. But should I? Would both cards be wise to apply for given my situation?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by misterfahrenheit
1. Ask for af waive for CSP but will probably pay and keep if declined or threaten to cancel and hope for retention bonus
Chase very rarely waives the AF for CSP. If you get the Ink, you don't need CSP for transfers, consider closing or downgrading to non-pref. If you downgrade, you lose the dividend and 2x on travel, but Ink will get you 2x on hotels and your amex cards can get you 3x on air. You keep 2x on dining.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphi...apphire-cards/
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by whatmakes
Thanks. But should I? Would both cards be wise to apply for given my situation?
Sounds like you won't get any incremental benefits, but you would probably get approved, assuming good credit. It comes down to if you want the sign up bonuses enough to do both.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:20 pm

Just realized the Choice card is actually a Barclays card. If I apply for it now and get approved, will it screw up my US Airways cycle. I know Barclays is fickle about too many cards.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 pm

Metrics:
CK = 740
Credit Sesame: 734
8% credit utilization
Min spends are not a problem.
New England Based

Cards I Currently Have:
- SW Premier Biz (Recent AOR)
- SW Plus Personal (Recent AOR)
- SW Premier Personal (Recent AOR, Canceled and consolidated CL yesterday)
- CSP (RECENT AOR)
- CS (Normal Sapphire)
- Discover More (Oldest card)
- Citi AA Platinum (RECENT AOR)
- Barclays Arrival Plus (RECENT AOR)
- Amex Blue
- Amex Plat MB (RECENT AOR)
- Citi Simplicity
- Chase Amazon Store Card

In my area, Experian is the predominant agency that is pulled by CC lenders.

I currently have:

EX: 7 Pulls in last 6 months and 12 in the last two years
TU: 2 Pulls in last 6 months
EQ: 1 Pull in last 6 months

My last AoR (7 EX Pulls) was the first week of August except for the Citi AA card which was 5 days ago.

How long do you think I should wait until my next AoR (3 months or 6 months)

Should I apply for another Citi card on my eighth day? What do you think my chances are with that many recent hard pulls?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Chase very rarely waives the AF for CSP. If you get the Ink, you don't need CSP for transfers, consider closing or downgrading to non-pref. If you downgrade, you lose the dividend and 2x on travel, but Ink will get you 2x on hotels and your amex cards can get you 3x on air. You keep 2x on dining.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphi...apphire-cards/
Great input! I guess I'll downgrade CSP if I get Ink. Thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ladoo420
Quick question - is it best to pay off all your balances (for the month of course) on your current cards prior to doing an AoR? Or to just keep utilization under 20% or so?
Reposting ... Thoughts anyone?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ladoo420
Reposting ... Thoughts anyone?
Hard to say because you don't know when each bank reports to the credit bureaus. I wouldn't pay them all off at the same time. Ideally you want your utilization between 1-9%, not 0%. I just wait until the grace period for each individual card to pay it off and if I notice the total utilization is too high I'll pay some off sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.