Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2012 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

2012 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Old Dec 17, 10, 3:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 756
No discussion on App-O-Rama?

what is the best time to run a App-O-Rama?

The morning of Monday?

Last edited by philemer; Dec 18, 10 at 7:08 pm
apollo_liumin is offline  
Old Dec 17, 10, 4:36 pm
  #2  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 42,390
To find previous discussions use Search this Forum with the keyword "app-o-rama" in quotation marks. However, most are from a few years ago when credit standards were loose. All things considered Flyertalk is probably not the best place to research this topic which has more to do with exploiting flaws in the credit reporting system than with earning or redeeming frequent flyer miles with payment cards.
mia is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 3:20 pm
  #3  
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,295
Try Fatwallet Finance forum for technical details of AOR.
TravelerMSY is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:09 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Iintermountain West
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,601
You need to do some studying on FatWallet, in the Finance forum.
philemer is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 12:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 52
APP-o-rama or two-a-month?

Not sure if this was asked before...

Does either way make a difference when applying? Seems like an 'o-rama would provide a better chance of getting more cards as it might conceal a bonus-hunting pattern on credit reports, but staggering would allow for an easier time meeting spend requirements, and give a little extra time to wait out for better bonus offers.
Please relate your experiences!
RobertNC is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 1:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 425
The app-o-rama theory is that recent inquiries and newly opened accounts hurt your credit score and can cause credit companies to decline your application even with a good score. 90 days appears to be the ideal time to allow your score to recover and get approved for cards again, as inquiries within the past 90 days have the highest impact on your application.

I think most good credit scores could handle about one card a month, but with 2 a month I think you'd start to get declined sooner or later.

When planning an app-o-rama, just plan your card choices around your average spending in a 3 month period. Cards like the US Airways MC are a bonus because you only have to spend $1 to get the bonus.
birdseye is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 1:50 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,979
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I think most good credit scores could handle about one card a month, but with 2 a month I think you'd start to get declined sooner or later.
Indeed. My current plan is 1 a month, picking the most favorable offer available at that time. If a better offer comes up sooner, I'll do it but then wait 2 months. If no offers are particularly good looking when the 1 month comes up, you can always wait a couple of extra weeks and then choose.
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 5:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AS, BA, AA
Posts: 3,670
For me, the huge problem with the App-O-Rama would be meeting spending requirements before the deadline.
janetdoe is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 8:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Traveling some where hopefully
Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
For me, the huge problem with the App-O-Rama would be meeting spending requirements before the deadline.
I too try to do one a month. But I'll do one with a 3,000(3 months) spend and the next month do one that only requires a purchase. That way the spend isn't a problem and if a great one comes along I can get it.
jjmiller69 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 11, 9:31 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA, USAir
Posts: 228
Planning to apply for a home loan in April

I'm planning to purchase a 2nd home in April (move to a new location across the county and rent out my current one) and wanted the credit to look good. My wife has close to an 800 score.

For my wife, I'm wanting to open 2 personal Citi cards (50k offer), a $300 credit chase freedom, and the 70k mariott.

I'm seeking input from all of you on how to proceed. My options are:
1) Apply for the 2 citi cards now, then the freedom next month, and then the mariott the following month
2) Apply for all 4 cards right now
3) Only do the citi cards (the one I most want) and back off on the rest since I'll need very good credit for the home loan application.

TIA
jimbaum is offline  
Old Dec 26, 11, 9:19 pm
  #11  
Formerly known as gwhit21
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tx
Programs: All of them.
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
I'm planning to purchase a 2nd home in April (move to a new location across the county and rent out my current one) and wanted the credit to look good. My wife has close to an 800 score.

For my wife, I'm wanting to open 2 personal Citi cards (50k offer), a $300 credit chase freedom, and the 70k mariott.

I'm seeking input from all of you on how to proceed. My options are:
1) Apply for the 2 citi cards now, then the freedom next month, and then the mariott the following month
2) Apply for all 4 cards right now
3) Only do the citi cards (the one I most want) and back off on the rest since I'll need very good credit for the home loan application.

TIA
I refinanced my house last year, a month after applying for three credit cards. I was told by Chase the (bank I refinanced with) that I was guaranteed the best rate with a credit score over 740. May be different with another bank. The two credit cards had no effect on my re-fi. I just had to very briefly explained why I applied for the cards.

I would apply for the two Citi cards now and 1 Chase card. It might not be possible to get both Chase cards at once. Then that gives you 4 months before you take out your mortgage. It's up to you if you want to apply another Chase card in two months after the other apps. I probably wouldn't.

Hope this helps.
TheNoobTraveler is offline  
Old Dec 26, 11, 10:09 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Iintermountain West
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,601
Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
I'm planning to purchase a 2nd home in April (move to a new location across the county and rent out my current one) and wanted the credit to look good. My wife has close to an 800 score.

For my wife, I'm wanting to open 2 personal Citi cards (50k offer), a $300 credit chase freedom, and the 70k mariott.

I'm seeking input from all of you on how to proceed. My options are:
1) Apply for the 2 citi cards now, then the freedom next month, and then the mariott the following month
2) Apply for all 4 cards right now
3) Only do the citi cards (the one I most want) and back off on the rest since I'll need very good credit for the home loan application.

TIA
Check with the lender you are planning on using ahead of time. US Bank doesn't like credit pulls w/in 6 mo. of loan app. My lender, an independent, didn't care because I had a good FICO score (over 750).
philemer is offline  
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by RobertNC View Post
Does either way make a difference when applying? Seems like an 'o-rama would provide a better chance of getting more cards as it might conceal a bonus-hunting pattern on credit reports, but staggering would allow for an easier time meeting spend requirements, and give a little extra time to wait out for better bonus offers.
Please relate your experiences!
If you do two a month you will always be holding your FICO score down a bit due to number of new accounts in last three months. If your score is high enough it might not matter. I believe in little app-o-rama of maybe three or four cards every three or four months. That gives my credit score a chance to recover which I think helps me get approved for the next round.

When it comes to minimum spend, I never thought I would miss the mint so much. You can search for info on Amazon Payments.
ddallas is offline  
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:53 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 114
As a new person to the cycling, willing and able to meet total minimum spend of about 4k over 3 months, I'm interested in this thread too. My question is what is considered an apporama? That is, my impression is that the idea is to apply for three or four cards all within a few minutes of each other, then wait several months and do it for other cards. Is there a time limit within which the apps must go out? Would it matter if along the way you hit a non immediate response or worse a denial?
StckFigure is offline  
Old Dec 27, 11, 12:21 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by StckFigure View Post
My question is what is considered an apporama? That is, my impression is that the idea is to apply for three or four cards all within a few minutes of each other, then wait several months and do it for other cards. Is there a time limit within which the apps must go out? Would it matter if along the way you hit a non immediate response or worse a denial?
That's pretty much it. Back 4 or 5 years ago, app-o-rama were done to get as many cards as you could with zero fee zero apr balance transfers. If you search for app-o-rama on fatwallet, you will see what that was all about. Now, with interest rates low, and not much for BT offers, that sort of thing has died out. Another reason was that some of the banks began closing peoples cards the next month after all of the cards reported and they saw what the person had done. So the original app-o-rama is more or less dead for now. Lately the term app-o-rama has been used for what people like the frugaltravelguy do, apply for three or more cards every three months or so. I would say the time limit would be a couple days to complete. If you are applying for muiltiple cards from the same creditor it is best to do them both on the same day before close of business so that the two inquiries on your credit report will likely merge into one. You can read about how the frugaltravelguy does it on his website. He's been using this style for a few years now and has had good success.
ddallas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: