Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

dans deals is a credit churning machine...wow

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:20 am
Original Poster

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/27108/

AMEX (9 active cards)
AMEX Consumer (6):
Chase (13 active cards)
Chase Consumer (8):
Citi (7):
Citi Consumer (6):
Barclay (4):
Barclay Consumer (3)

It has now been 10 years since I turned 18 (and 8 years since I started blogging) and Ive opened over 300 cards building a nest egg of over 10 million miles and points so that I can always hop on a plane, fly in first class somewhere, and stay in a 5 star resort without having to pay for it. Now that was easier before Rafi came along, but hes logged tens of thousands of air miles under the doting eye of his incredible mom. It really is an addiction, from earning top-tier airline (United 1K) hotel (SPG Platinum and Hyatt Diamond), and car rental status (Avis Chairman), when I travel, I travel like a king and get to drive fancy cars and fly in first class suites for pennies. And yet I still enjoy nothing more than coming back home to good ole unpretentious Cleveland where my wife and I share a single Nissan Altima and we can sleep in our own (W) bed. At least until I start planning the next trip.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond
wow ... people on the comment section there are the ones you read about getting shut down and think "how did they not know that was coming?"

edit: what i'd like to know is how he got 2 versions of several cards that are supposed to be un-churnable...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
wow ... people on the comment section there are the ones you read about getting shut down and think "how did they not know that was coming?"

edit: what i'd like to know is how he got 2 versions of several cards that are supposed to be un-churnable...
Also got 50 k united biz after sm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10m "nest egg" depreciates every day with program "enhancements" so to have a stash that big is silly.
No credit card path would give him ua 1k so that's irrelevant here and without top tier status redeeming and changing award flights can get pricey and often eliminates the value of many domestic redemptions.
"Travel like a king" - ha! - i''ll think about it next time tsa grabs me by the hmmm.. first class or not..
Pointless bragging.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
10m "nest egg" depreciates every day with program "enhancements" so to have a stash that big is silly.
No credit card path would give him ua 1k so that's irrelevant here and without top tier status redeeming and changing award flights can get pricey and often eliminates the value of many domestic redemptions.
"Travel like a king" - ha! - i''ll think about it next time tsa grabs me by the hmmm.. first class or not..
Pointless bragging.
Worrying about "nest egg" depreciation is like worrying about having to pay more taxes on a higher income.
You give me the income, I'll be happy to pay more in taxes.

Some will see it as "bragging" others as "unlimited possibilities"
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I feel like some of those cards are probably applied for under his wife's name as well --- multiple Amex cards in 3 months and getting the bonus on each? If so, it would be widely replicable.

Last edited by amolkold; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
He says he's the primary cardholder on all of these. I too wonder how he could be 2x PRG and SPG in one year with bonuses. Putting in a different SPG number isn't exactly foolproof...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lavag
He says he's the primary cardholder on all of these. I too wonder how he could be 2x PRG and SPG in one year with bonuses. Putting in a different SPG number isn't exactly foolproof...
That's what I mean -- I have no doubt that he is incredibly knowledgeable about card churning but things don't always add up in his posts. Add to the fact that he gets paid if DD members apply for a card through his link trying to replicate his results even though many people fail .... something seems fishy to me.

All I'm saying is that if a non-blogging FT'er posted their success doing this on FT, I wouldn't take it with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AOPA
He some how has more than one AMEX MR account. ...... something doesn't sound kosher
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
All I'm saying is that if a non-blogging FT'er posted their success doing this on FT, I wouldn't take it with a grain of salt.
If a non-blogging FTer did it, we'd all have done it by now--especially the SPG since they're so hard to earn in large numbers. Seems like a way to cash in on the referrals, as you said. If you play this game long enough, you'll get lucky and catch a system glitch once in a while (I've gotten a sign up bonus twice on the same card, for instance), but that's too many times for me to believe it without some proof.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by teddy25
He some how has more than one AMEX MR account.
This is unremarkable. It's possible to have a separate Membership Rewards account for each card account.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:15 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by mia
This is unremarkable. It's possible to have a separate Membership Rewards account for each card account.
This is true. I have 3 AMEX cards enrolled in MR program. When I opened another (Business Platinum) they gave me another MR account number. However, I called and merged it to my existing account.

BTW, I got SPG bonus second time for SPG Amex Personal card. However, my last application for SPG card was two years after I got the first one. This probably is the reason.

I have another datapoint for Delta Amex Gold card. My wife canceled her card in January 2012 and got another one in September 2012 (when 70K offer came in). Even AMEX says that that would not give bonus points for those who had this card in the last 12 months, she got the full bonus. Probably, YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
All I can say is kudos to Dan if all of this makes him happy. I don't have nearly as many cards or miles, probably never will have his score, but so long as he is happy, that is what really matters.

Don't get me wrong: I have my premium cards and elite airline status and it helps me get what I want when I need it. Maybe not to his extent but I can't complain.

May Dan have many wonderful trips and sumptuous accommodations ahead of him.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I now have the view of "earn" & "burn". For my situation, I have advance stages of cancer (4C) and I may not live forever. Before Dec 2011, I never been hospitalized since I was born (1958). I do not have 10MM points but almost 1MM of AA miles. I had NO idea that I would get cancer! We had plenty of AA miles for one world mileage awards for my wife & I in Biz (Australia,etc) but now it is unlikely we will take the trips due to my medical issues. My wife would not know how to cash my pts out so I plan to do this while I have my strength to do so.

We are more focused on hotel points CC's and converting points (especially airline pts) to prepaid Visa/MC/AMEX if the conversion is at least 1 cent/point. I need the prepaid CC cards to pay medical bills & everyday spending. We now have a very good PPO plan for 2013.

My standard is a min of 1 cent/point redemption for GC's. When I was healthy, cashing out my pts @1c/pt would NOT be considered! Of course, I will research my options before doing this on a large scale. The miles came very cheaply (alot pts were CC signup bonuses!).

My FICO's are over 800 with moderate churning.

Bottom line: One never knows when "life" throws you a "curve ball" for the worse. I thought my medical issues would not happen to me. At least we got the points very cheaply! (well under 1 cent/point!) and it will help in my situation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Exactly. I do too. Not that I need them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.