Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit Card for people with only ITIN and no SSN

Old Jan 11, 13, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Does someone know if we can apply for credit cards with only a ITIN and no SSN? I am trying to figure out this for my wife.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 13, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Surprisingly, yes !!!

Go to any of the Bank of America branches... They just rolled out with credit (yes, credit!!!) cards for people with us address even with no legal status and no social security number. I was so surprised i had to ask her 3 times. And no deposit required so it is not like a secured credit card. We were not interested so i don't know more details about that but everything i wrote is true. It was in a Vegas BoA branch and the manager told us.

Good luck!!!
Old Jan 11, 13, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. will it contribute towards creating credit history?
Old Jan 11, 13, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Actually i know the answer for that too because i asked: NO!
Since you need to have a SSN to build credit....
Old Jan 11, 13, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Wow. That's interesting, to say the least. Although without building credit and, presumably, without sign on bonuses, it's tough to think of how this would be better than just making one's partner an AU.
Old Jan 12, 13, 6:42 am

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
amex gives you
mrs newbieflyer1 got approved for platinum without SSN ,just ITIN and passport info ,but she was authorised on my amex blue for 4 yrs
Old Jan 12, 13, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Correct about the postings with BofA's ITIN/SSN requirements. There actually aren't any new cards, it's just a new policy. Customers without SSN/ITIN (Non-Resident Aliens) can now apply for credit using their passport, Matricula Consular ID, or foreign driver license number in place of the tax identification number.

I will have to look into how it affects one's credit. I don't think it's possible for it to have no impact at all, but I will double check...
Old Jan 12, 13, 10:35 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Chase and discover haven't allowed my wife. Maybe I'll go to boa

Update 3/22:
My wife applied in person at a BoA Branch and was approved for $1k limit using ITIN and household income. I'm excited to see what she will get in 6-12 mo from now

Last edited by mintcilantro; Mar 22, 13 at 4:35 pm Reason: new info
Old Mar 29, 13, 4:39 pm

Citi credit card approved ITIN no credit history or SSN

Hi,

I remember there was a topic discussing credit cards for those having no SSN/credit history but cannot find it even going back to 2011. Mods feel free to merge if I missed something.

Background:
- my father in a non-US-resident and has no SSN (but has ITIN)
- he's been an authorized user on my Citi card for quite a long time
- he has never had any US credit accounts on his name (any type, secured or unsecured)
- he constantly get mailings from Citi inviting him to apply for a credit card (with an invitation code)

My understanding has always been that he cannot have a credit card on his name because:
- credit bureaus don't maintain credit history on ITIN (i.e. SSN is a must)
- even if credit bureaus maintained credit history on ITIN, he would not have any credit history that counts for the credit score as the credit score formula presumable excludes accounts where you're an authorized user

With all that in mind, we decided to actually respond to one of these numerous Citi invites (online) 'just to make sure it doesn't work' but lo and behold the application was approved with a reasonable credit limit.

The question to the fellow FTs is whether someone can expain based on - his/her own experience what exactly happened:
- both of my assumptions about the credit bureaus above are incorrect?
- Citi maintains an internal credit history where my father's experience as an authorized user counts for this bank despite having no 'external' credit history?
- card applications with an invitation code get a different treatment than those 'filled-in from scratch'?
- the app fell through the cracks and Citi approved it though it should not have?

Any input would be really appreciated - the ultimate question (as you may guess) is what would happen if he applied for an unsecured credit card in the other bank?
Old Mar 29, 13, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
Credit card approved ITIN no credit history

was your father not asked for a SSN in the application process?
this is strange and wish my Canadian girlfriend could be as lucky =o
Old Mar 29, 13, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by imslippy View Post
was your father not asked for a SSN in the application process?
this is strange and wish my Canadian girlfriend could be as lucky =o
ITIN was entered instead of SSN - though it's easy to discern an ITIN (starts with '9') from a SSN (cannot start with '9') in effect they are the same 9 digits in length so ITIN can be typed in the application field intended for SSN.
Old Mar 30, 13, 5:25 am

yes with ITIN amex gave my wife platinum card,citi bank gave aa miles card,i needed to give passport info etc.she has been authorised user
Old Mar 30, 13, 9:35 am

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Does one get a credit history too with ITIN? Anyone try to get a free credit report for a person on an ITIN?
Old Mar 30, 13, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by raghu455 View Post
Does one get a credit history too with ITIN? Anyone try to get a free credit report for a person on an ITIN?
they even gave a score and some kind of report also
Old Mar 30, 13, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am Canadian but have SSN. Just got approvd for 2 cards recently after much, much trying. Tried to get one for my husband (his own, not auth on mine) aand use his ITIN and it wouldn't even let me continue. Kept giving me the big red error on the SSN field. So they obviously don't accept the ITIN beginning with 9 at BOA.

Perhaps I will try Amex or Citi for him.

Oh, and no credit history with ITIN from what I have been told. YMMV as with the above poster. We own proprty in the US and have a bank account, pay taxes etc. but no credit hostory or score for him with his ITIN.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: