Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by raccah
I am sooo sorry as this has to be somewhere in this thread, but I could not find it. I called to set my CA limit to zero and they told me they cannot do it, just like the Citi folks did. For citi I used SM. What is the trick with the Barclays folks and the arrival MC?

Thanks!
Don't buy stuff from banks, and you'll be fine. You could try SM, the CSRs that respond to emails seem to have more ability to get things done than those in call centers.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:44 am

Yeah I tried the SM as well - no help. So far Amex card seems OK - from the Amex card thread. Other than that I have ZERO intention of buying from a bank.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I need a few Marriott points to complete a Ritz reservation. OK, I need 50,000. (It will net me the 4th and 5th night free). Has anyone purchased Marriott points with the Arrival? Did it show up as a travel expense?

I just got the Arrival and am thinking of making 5/8 of minimum spend by buying points and then getting most of that cost reimbursed.

Marriott Card + Marriott Card + Arrival Card + $225 = 5 nights on Maui (maybe) + $40 travel credit.

(And I did search the thread for references to Marriott before posting!)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Same as above poster... short on Marriott points and I canceled the card earlier this year, hubby too. :-( so I am looking to purchase 13k for $162.50 and it will extend our stay for the 5 nights.
Anyone charged hotel points yet?

ETA: Well I went ahead and purchased the points and will post after it posts on the account how it's coded.

Last edited by duranza; Nov 13, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:58 pm

Quick data point:

- 1 US Air card opened in 2011. Still open today. Hit the minimum spend only but paid the annual renewal fee (for the 10k miles). $2,500 limit.

- 2nd US Air card opened in Feb of this year. Still open today. No spend aside from minimum. $7,500 limit.

Just applied and was approved for a $12,500 limit. Barclays score shows me at 735.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Was denied card today. Called recon number and spoke with a helpful CSR. The issues from their point of view was that I had closed numerous credit card accounts after a short time (as in churning) and had a total credit line of $9500 with Barclays on my Priceline and Choice Hotels cards.

I explained that I had closed the short lived credit card accounts due to their lack of suitability and offered to close my Priceline card account, which was accepted.

Application was approved. Process was only a pleasant 2-3 minutes.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Was denied card today. Called recon number and spoke with a helpful CSR. The issues from their point of view was that I had closed numerous credit card accounts after a short time (as in churning) and had a total credit line of $9500 with Barclays on my Priceline and Choice Hotels cards.

I explained that I had closed the short lived credit card accounts due to their lack of suitability and offered to close my Priceline card account, which was accepted.

Application was approved. Process was only a pleasant 2-3 minutes.
Lol. They deny you because you've closed too many cards....then they close one of their own credit card and approve you. Priceless.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by kaipoman:21785400
Quick data point:

- 1 US Air card opened in 2011. Still open today. Hit the minimum spend only but paid the annual renewal fee (for the 10k miles). $2,500 limit.

- 2nd US Air card opened in Feb of this year. Still open today. No spend aside from minimum. $7,500 limit.

Just applied and was approved for a $12,500 limit. Barclays score shows me at 735.
How many inquiries have you had in the last 6months/year. I want this card really badly, but got denied due to too many inquries over the summer.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
How many inquiries have you had in the last 6months/year. I want this card really badly, but got denied due to too many inquries over the summer.
11 at the time of application over the past 12 months.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by kaipoman
11 at the time of application over the past 12 months.
wow this makes no sense.. I was denied for having too many.. they said 14 I only counted 8.. you lucky dog.. I am waiting till Jan to apply again.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:21 pm

Yeah, and I was denied for having 6 in the last 12 months. That and for cancelling a US Air card and then opening another one later.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:27 pm

Wow points just posted on my husband's account.. only made charges a couple of days ago and I can redeem them. 40k
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by duranza
Wow points just posted on my husband's account.. only made charges a couple of days ago and I can redeem them. 40k
yea, thats a nice feature of this and the Cap. One card...they both post points to acct. as soon as the charge posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:40 am

How long does it take for temporary authorizations to actually post onto my account and show me the miles accumulated? Purchases from 11/15 aren't there yet... or is this normal?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:21 pm

Just received the annual fee card last week and have met the $1k minimum spend, just waiting for the transactions to post so I can get the 40k bonus miles.

I also just booked $820 worth of airfare through Delta using the card. Does the card allow a partial redemption or will I need to earn enough points to cover the full charge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.