Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
To Tiki and HappyKat: you might get approved. I think it was 9 days after my husband's app, but we got the approval email at last. With mine, they actually called me after 10 days, but I got the card. I think, generally speaking, it's best to see what happens with Barclay's, before calling reconsideration. It's a very odd bank, but for some reason they have been good to me, and I am a "churner".
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by nall
Odd question.

Finally got approved, but there's a trip I need to book before I'll receive the card. Any way to get the card number online?
Unfortunately, I don't think so... Call for a rush

Originally Posted by anime333
Anyone know how Barclay's treats Chase gift card purchase and Amazon payments transfers?
Amazon Payments works fine.

Chase Gift cards (the fee-free debit cards) can only be bought w/Chase Credit cards. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-cards-72.html
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: All of em...
The real question...

This card has been out for a few months now.
Given Barclay's past, has anyone applied for a 2nd Barclay's Arrival card yet? Or maybe apply now for the no fee version w/half the points....

The points are valuable and easy to use...
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
The real question...

This card has been out for a few months now.
Given Barclay's past, has anyone applied for a 2nd Barclay's Arrival card yet? Or maybe apply now for the no fee version w/half the points....

The points are valuable and easy to use...
Not yet... but I do need a lot more Barclaycard points! I wiped out my whole balance already.. I've been using it for 3rd party hotels. I want to stay in a Ryokan in Kyoto, but theres no loyalty programs, so Barclaycard via JapanIcan.com it is!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Just applied and got the typical "10 day review" message. I already have 2 US cards one of which is my primary card putting approx $75k annually and about $5000 per year on my other US card. Should be interesting.

Has anyone found that they get a response sooner than 10 days? I will check the status page daily but wondering if a status might appear sooner . Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by milesforfamily
To Tiki and HappyKat: you might get approved. I think it was 9 days after my husband's app, but we got the approval email at last. With mine, they actually called me after 10 days, but I got the card. I think, generally speaking, it's best to see what happens with Barclay's, before calling reconsideration. It's a very odd bank, but for some reason they have been good to me, and I am a "churner".
I'm at 9 days now after the app with no decision yet. I can see they pulled TU and haven't pulled Experian. Credit Sesame can see pulls from Chase, Citi & Amex but none from Barclays. I don't want to call them because the last time I did that (Jan 2013) they pulled all 3 credit reports and I still didn't get the card despite having scores over 780.

What could be taking so long?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
You could call, I guess. But if it were me, I would just wait for some sort of decision first. There is no rhyme or reason on how they do things, that's for sure. I got approved twice with no income during reconsideration. Others got shut down with great scores and well paying jobs.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:20 pm

denied at first

I knew something was wrong when I didn't hear from them for almost 2 weeks after I applied, and finally I called the recon line yesterday. I am a mild churner and found out that my application was denied for the first time. The rep said the reason for the denial was they saw a pattern that I never used the card after getting bonus and then cancelled after a year. He was right, I've had (and cancelled) two USAir mastercards in the past two years and I didn't use them at all except for the first purchase. I explained that the Arrival card is not linked to any airline which could be much more useful for me, but he still denied my application.
I called again right after he hung up on me, and this time got a nicer rep who verified my info and put me on hold for few minutes. She didn't even mention anything about the reason for denial. She came back with $5k credit line and approved my application in less than 5 min. No explanation was necessary this time.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Well, today is day 10 since getting the dreaded "10 day review" email and no response. My fico is in the mid 700s after being beat down due to some new cards over the last year. I already have 2 US Air cards with $30k and $9k spent on them for 2013 so they cant say I am not using the cards. Questions is will they play the "you already have too much credit with us" card ? Between my two Us cards I have $42k in credit. I think I will be forced the dreaded Barclay rejection line if I don't hear from them in the next 48 hours.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:03 pm

Question on redemption of points for travel on Arrival

Hi all

Read this thread with interest. I had a question though regarding the points you earn with this card for upgrades or cash + points type of transactions. Will this card allow you to do that (my thought is yes) ? In other words if I go to BA and pay 12500 points + $250 to get an upgrade or pay for a particular ticket I assume the $250 I could use my Arrival points against but can I also use points in any increment on Arrival or do they have to be a certain amount (e.g 10,000 points per time minimum etc) ? Similarly can you choose to cover a portion of the travel expense or are you forced to use all your points against the expense ?

Thanks

WC
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Tiki
I'm at 9 days now after the app with no decision yet. I can see they pulled TU and haven't pulled Experian. Credit Sesame can see pulls from Chase, Citi & Amex but none from Barclays. I don't want to call them because the last time I did that (Jan 2013) they pulled all 3 credit reports and I still didn't get the card despite having scores over 780.

What could be taking so long?
I'm at 9 business days too without a decision. I've never had a credit decision take this long. But given how bad Barclay's is with everything else, I can't say I'm surprised.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:50 pm

Does Barclay ever automatically approve for their arrival card ? I don't have any other cards with Barclay but I wanted to do an app o rama soon with Barclay arrival being one of them. From what I read here, they take 10 days to consider you for the card ? If this is true, than should I apply for the Barclay arrival card by itself before my app o rama ?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: United Mileagplus
I was automatically approved (online application) about a month ago. Card took almost 1.5 weeks to arrive. My FICO score is in low 700s and this was my first Barclaycard. I am impressed with how quickly points are getting posted; they don't wait till statement time.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by navendu99
I was automatically approved (online application) about a month ago. Card took almost 1.5 weeks to arrive. My FICO score is in low 700s and this was my first Barclaycard. I am impressed with how quickly points are getting posted; they don't wait till statement time.
This, although my credit score is upper 700's. Honestly I think a key to instant approval is having this be your first Barclay's card or having very few recent apps overall. Not always true, but helpful. If you're doing an AoR, I would apply for this one first if you really want it.

Last edited by ctbarron; Aug 16, 2013 at 6:19 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 17, 2013, 6:22 am

Just used rewards for reimbursement of $50 Delta eGift card. Thought it was a useful datapoint for those with 5,000 miles remaining after the 10% reimbursement of the signup bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.