Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:10 am

I want to go for this card but am contemplating my strategy. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or a similar situation to this:

14 open accounts. The past year's credit app history:
4/13 upgrade to Hilton Surpass (does this count or will they not see it since it is an upgrade? They switched out my Delta Gold Card for this.)
2/13 Ink Bold (does this count since it's a business card?)
2/13 2nd US Airways card
2/13 Citi AA card
11/12 Hilton Honors card
8/12 SPG card

I have an excellent credit score but not so excellent income.

I'm thinking I should I cancel one of my US Air cards before applying for the Arrival. I just paid the annual fee on it for the 10,000 bonus miles. If I cancel it, will they claw back my miles or refund part of my fee? How long should I wait after I cancel the US Air card? Or should I just go for it and use the older US Air card as a bargaining chip in case they won't extend more credit?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by smedleyb
I've actually toned down my application activity over the past 6 months, no more than 3 cards. But yeah, I still have roughly 15 accounts open. I do have the US Air card, opened last September. Meh. I'm still debating if my wife should call. She has fewer accounts than I (including US Air card), a lesser credit score, but more recent account openings. Seems like a lot of work for $440 at this point, but that figure (X2 if wife got it) would have been useful to cover some miscellaneous travel charges over the next 6 months.
I had 2 friends call who received denial letters. They both had the US Air card, and both were able to get the Arrival card, even though one was denied for too many recent inquires. They had no clue it even could be reversed because I usually send them the links. I'd have your wife call.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mera
I want to go for this card but am contemplating my strategy. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or a similar situation to this:

14 open accounts. The past year's credit app history:
4/13 upgrade to Hilton Surpass (does this count or will they not see it since it is an upgrade? They switched out my Delta Gold Card for this.)
2/13 Ink Bold (does this count since it's a business card?)
2/13 2nd US Airways card
2/13 Citi AA card
11/12 Hilton Honors card
8/12 SPG card

I have an excellent credit score but not so excellent income.

I'm thinking I should I cancel one of my US Air cards before applying for the Arrival. I just paid the annual fee on it for the 10,000 bonus miles. If I cancel it, will they claw back my miles or refund part of my fee? How long should I wait after I cancel the US Air card? Or should I just go for it and use the older US Air card as a bargaining chip in case they won't extend more credit?
Upgrade wouldn't count so.. Looks like about 4 months since applying. I would just apply and see if they make you cancel your us air. I don't think they would claw back miles but not sure. Maybe do a mini churn, 2 cards? I did a mini churn about 2 months after applying for 3 cards.

Good luck! I'm planning on using my arrival for air tahiti flights in the future!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:41 pm

Thanks for your suggestions romsdeals3! I'm always nervous beofre applying, tho I've never been denied. Wasn't sure about the upgrade counting, so that's great to hear.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: All of Them
If my wife and I both get this card, can we combine our points in one of our accounts?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:23 am

If I were to apply for the annual fee version, can I downgrade to the no annual fee version later? What's the process for that?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by lyst
I had 2 friends call who received denial letters. They both had the US Air card, and both were able to get the Arrival card, even though one was denied for too many recent inquires. They had no clue it even could be reversed because I usually send them the links. I'd have your wife call.
Wife called and was shot down, too. Meh. The rep found her 9 cards opened in the past year to be "alarming." Never mind every charge gets paid immediately and on time. What a waste of two credit inquires.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Have people done a slow spending ramp-up on this card, or just charged ahead? I guess the former given how cranky Barclays seems to be. Any recent data points?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: spg gold
I was approved for this card, however it cost me 3 pulls yes they pull from all 3.
They will not give my wife a card. She was told that they gave her a US airways card and she didn't use it, so why would they give her another.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I was approved for this card, however it cost me 3 pulls yes they pull from all 3.
They will not give my wife a card. She was told that they gave her a US airways card and she didn't use it, so why would they give her another.
My wife called the recon line 2 days ago and they told her the same thing - 2 US airways cards with minimal use. Oh well
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:52 pm

Is it true you can't partially offset an expense?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I'm pretty sure they pulled all 3 for me and the wife. Oh well, at least you got approved!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:52 pm

You can partially offset travel expenses with their points. In other words, you can use points to offset part, but not all, of a posted travel expense.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision on this card if you get the "we need more time" response? Me and the Mrs applied for this today, got the "we need time" screen and email follow-up.

I've got an app-o-rama queued up, and since I know Barclays is easily spooked, the last thing I want to do is apply for 6 other cards before they come to a decision one way or the other. If they approve me, great, I'm off to open a bunch of other cards. If not...well, I'll still be off the apply for a bunch of other cards. Just trying to figure the timing of it.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision on this card if you get the "we need more time" response? Me and the Mrs applied for this today, got the "we need time" screen and email follow-up.

I've got an app-o-rama queued up, and since I know Barclays is easily spooked, the last thing I want to do is apply for 6 other cards before they come to a decision one way or the other. If they approve me, great, I'm off to open a bunch of other cards. If not...well, I'll still be off the apply for a bunch of other cards. Just trying to figure the timing of it.
I applied for the travelocity card and got pending as well so I want to know this as well. My TU was open but EX was locked. When do they pull all 3? During review or when you apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.