Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ReduceTC
I have about the same amount of cards , with about 85k in total credit , I had that amount for over 4 years , I even added CSP recently, about to cancel chase amazon - but again .. Why should you be worried ?
As long as you haven't lied, and pay your bill on time there's nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
How many credit cards is too many?

AMEX: 5
CITI: 4
DISCOVER: 1
CHASE: 5
CREDIT UNION: 1
FIDELITY AMEX: 1
PENFED AMEX: 1
BOFA: 1
Haven't had issues so far. Out of the above 5 of them charge a fee and I pay a fee on 3 of them every year.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:10 am
Suspended

Open credit cards: 8

Barclay: 1

Amex: 2

Chase: 3

Citi: 2

Going to cancel one of the Citi AA's next month.

Credit limit: ~$48k

Surprised to hear 15 cards is too much...I've heard The Points Guy say numerous times he has over 20-25 active cards with no adverse effects. Also, I find it hard to believe people aren't in the 15 card range over in the Citi AA forum.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Surprised to hear 15 cards is too much...I've heard The Points Guy say numerous times he has over 20-25 active cards with no adverse effects. Also, I find it hard to believe people aren't in the 15 card range over in the Citi AA forum.
Not to say 15 cards is too many, also the Points Guy is a card veteran. OP is fairly new at only 3 yrs and when I started in that early stage, I couldnt get more than 5 without problems as credit scores and history not well establish yet.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:37 am
Suspended

Interesting. I've only been doing this since February. I'm 27 and a student, and my credit history is pretty new (comparatively). I've been an authorized user on my mom's CC for years, and I think that's why I haven't been having any problems with approvals. Credit score went from a 700 in February to a 768 today. Went from being an authorized user on 1 account to having 8 of my own.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sharka
Not to say 15 cards is too many, also the Points Guy is a card veteran. OP is fairly new at only 3 yrs and when I started in that early stage, I couldnt get more than 5 without problems as credit scores and history not well establish yet.
I'm 23, and my first card was opened when I was 20, though I am an auth. user on my mother's Amex, which shows up on my report going back to 1999. Regardless, I have 21 credit cards open and a 771 TU score.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm 23, and my first card was opened when I was 20, though I am an auth. user on my mother's Amex, which shows up on my report going back to 1999. Regardless, I have 21 credit cards open and a 771 TU score.
Then you are luckier than me. Never been on anyones AU. I started my history about 3 yrs after college. My credit history and score had to start from scratch. Took awhile to get a decent score. Remember being turned down more than a few times during my early yrs. Hell, forget about 15 or more cards, just remembered now having a difficult time just trying to get my very first CC approved. Ah, times are so much better now.

Last edited by sharka; Jul 28, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
"You can't have 'too much credit,' but you can utilize too much credit," says Anthony Sprauve, a spokesman for FICO

From the standpoint of your credit score, cards you don't use don't hurt you. O.k., maybe a little if you had several dozen.

OTOH, having too many with a single issuer, that could be a problem, but if so, they'll decline you.

If you have cards with AFs but you don't use them, that really is throwing money away.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jn in ca
If you have cards with AFs but you don't use them, that really is throwing money away.
Not necessarily, the Amex Plat is a horrible card to put spend on (1x on everything), but the benefits are completely worth the fee.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:43 pm

I have 20+ open cards. Only one of them is more than 18 months old, and even that one is less than 3 years old. So it can be done. That being said, I'm extremely meticulous (some might say obsessive..) about monitoring and optimizing my credit profile, and have used pretty much every trick in the book to get where I am (credit freezes, multiple apps to merge inquiries whenever possible, bumpage, paying off mid-cycle, etc). I certainly didn't just go out and start applying for cards left and right without carefully planning it all out.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I have 20+ open cards. Only one of them is more than 18 months old, and even that one is less than 3 years old. So it can be done. That being said, I'm extremely meticulous (some might say obsessive..) about monitoring and optimizing my credit profile, and have used pretty much every trick in the book to get where I am (credit freezes, multiple apps to merge inquiries whenever possible, bumpage, paying off mid-cycle, etc). I certainly didn't just go out and start applying for cards left and right without carefully planning it all out.
Bumpage is the one thing I've wanted to look into, but just don't have the time to master something new at this particular moment. One day, maybe...but I'm thinking I'm going to slow down on churning for a bit.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:08 am

The problem is that bumpage cost $$$...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:23 am
Suspended

Can someone quickly and concisely explain bumpage without hijacking the thread?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
The problem is that bumpage cost $$$...
That's the other part of why I haven't done it yet.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:54 pm

I came to US 3 years ago and started building credit since. Now I have 17 open cc (+1 closed). Oldest acc is 34 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.