Wiki Posts
Search

Credit cards cancelled on Spouse's death

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Credit cards cancelled on Spouse's death

Unless your credit cards are jointly owned your spouse could be left with no credit upon your death. I'm hoping to save others from losing out on credit card benefits such as the US Airways VISA & MC 10K rollover to preferred miles after 25K spending. I had no idea that our credit cards were in my hubby's name as primary and I was an authorized user only. When we got them we gave both names and mistakenly assumed (I know!!) that the cards were jointly owned. Consequently, my VISA and MC have been cancelled. It especially hurt because the VISA is no longer offered. I can only hope that MC will continue to offer a 10K rollover for each 25K spending. I did get a heads up from a friend who had just heard a similar story from someone else, so I immediately opened a new MC account it my name after my hubby died. And I continued to use our joint card until I had the new one in hand. While US Air transferred his earned miles to my account, the fact that I couldn't transfer the accumulated spending from his DM account to mine means I will not be able to make status in 2013. I don't know if it's worth buying up to silver.
So, save your spouses a lot of anxiety and check how your credit cards are registered.

Last edited by EileenSRN; Sep 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm so sorry to hear about your spouse's death. Thank you for this valuable info. It wouldn't dawn on most of us I'm guessing.

Originally Posted by EileenSRN
Unless your credit cards are jointly owned your spouse could be left with no credit upon your death. I'm hoping to save others from losing out on credit card benefits such as the US Airways VISA & MC 10K rollover to preferred miles after 25K spending. I had no idea that our credit cards were in my hubby's name as primary and I was an authorized user only. When we got them we gave both names and mistakenly assumed (I know!!) that the cards were jointly owned. Consequently, my VISA and MC have been cancelled. It especially hurt because the VISA is no longer offered. I can only hope that MC will continue to offer a 10K rollover for each 25K spending. I did get a heads up from a friend who had just heard a similar story from someone else, so I immediately opened a new MC account it my name after my hubby died. And I continued to use our joint card until I had the new one in hand. While US Air transferred his earned miles to my account, the fact that I couldn't transfer the accumulated spending from his DM account to mine means I will not be able to make status in 2013. I don't know if it's worth buying up to silver.
So, save your spouses a lot of anxiety and check how your credit cards are registered.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
A relative of mine owned their own successful business for years and wanted a gas credit card. Got turned down for no personal credit history since he paid cash for all his personal stuff and their last mortgage was paid off in the mid 1970's. Husband & wife got lots of cards in the mail in the late 1960's but never wanted them.

Their business banker gave them a personal Visa with a high limit but he asked that his limit be only 10K instead of 50K.

His wife had JC Penney CC (since late 1950's), a gas CC, & in the 1960's, a K-Mart CC.

My wife & I are on a "cash" basis but we put as much as we can on CC's and pay off the full balance every month. We get all the rewards and still be on a cash basis. We treat the CC's like "charge" cards that we pay off every month. Banks do not make any $$ off interest. Guess we are "deadbeats" for paying no interest to the banks!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
We did the same thing. Every penny we could put on the card we did. PIF every month. Hubby would have made Silver in 2013 without flying a mile. 5K for Club renewal, 10K rollover from 25K on VISA, 10K rollover from 25K on MC. He actually did a MR BUF-LAX this year. Now, however, I have to start from scratch for 2013. I will put 25K on my new MC and get 10K preferred, but the VISA is gone. I can hope MC will give 2 rollovers as they have the past 2 years.
They may not have been able to credit the accrued spending to my DM account, but now I'll never know. The important point is that couples verify what type of ownership their credit cards have.
Eileen
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Having recently just found my life's partner I can't imagine what the end of our journey will feel like, but I would like you to know you have my deepest condolences, Eileen.

A few years ago, my mother's good friend lost her husband. Unbeknownst to her, she had no personal credit history at all due to all the mortgages, cards and loans being in his name! When she eventually applied for her own credit card she was declined. A quick call to the private banker got her a card couriered in the mail, but if a person was not in that position it would certainly be an unwelcome hassle.

I already have several credit sources so during the recent application for our first "joint" credit card, I was sure to put the primary in her name... A little planing we can do to ensure less frustration on our partners' during an already stressful time.

This was a great post to start and I hope the lessons are shared to couples everywhere.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.